Use this Search Box to Find Appliance Repair Help Now
Need help finding your model number?
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Welcome to Appliantology.org, the Web's Premiere Appliance Repair Resource for DIYers!

The world-famous Samurai Appliance Repair Forums

You can post a question and get repair help for FREE! Click here to get started.

Already a member of the Appliantology Academy? Just sign in with your username and password in the upper right-hand corner of the screen.

Photo

Whirlpool Conquest Gold Icemaker Spewing Water

• Please log in to reply
28 replies to this topic

#1 cjhsa

cjhsa

Yamabushi

• Grasshoppah
  • PipPip
  • 68 posts

Posted 03 January 2014 - 07:59 AM

Model:  GS6HAXKS01

S/N:  SL3457324

Last night we kept hearing funny noises in the house but couldn't locate the trouble until our son went to get some ice cream.  The entire freezer was coated in ice.   Being late, I shut the icemaker off and came back to it this AM.  I got MOST of the ice out, using a hair dryer and spatula (there was a big sheet on the bottom of the freezer).  Then I tried to "defrost" the icemaker as I've had troubles with it seizing up before, though never involving flooding).  It's back on now, and I'm waiting to see what happens.  

Thoughts?

A little background.  We had a power outage that lasted 26 hours before Christmas.  Since then the icemaker has made at least two full bins of ice.

Use the Appliantology Parts Search Box to Find What You Need!
Enter your model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

#2 cjhsa

cjhsa

Yamabushi

• Grasshoppah
  • PipPip
  • 68 posts

Posted 03 January 2014 - 08:10 AM

OK.... It just spat out the cubes.  There is water in the tray... we shall see what happens next.

#3 Samurai Appliance Repair Man

Samurai Appliance Repair Man

Shōgun

• Fermented Grand Master
  • 28,788 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Sapporo Original Draft Rice Lager

Posted 03 January 2014 - 08:49 AM

Yep, it knew you were posting to Appliantology and straightened its act up. Happens all the time, especially when I'm on a service call.

#4 cjhsa

cjhsa

Yamabushi

• Grasshoppah
  • PipPip
  • 68 posts

Posted 03 January 2014 - 08:49 AM

And ok... what happened next is that there really wasn't any water in the ice cube tray... or very little.  Not sure if it's cracked/leaking of if it just didn't get filled.  I just warmed the water line inside the freezer with the blow dryer, which has worked before when it froze/seized and refused to fill.

Not thrilled about this - hate leaks.

#5 DurhamAppliance

DurhamAppliance

Sho' Nuff Chozin

• Grand Master Funk
  • 4,402 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Bells Two Hearted

Posted 03 January 2014 - 09:17 AM

If it happens again, check to see if your ice make fill tube has been replaced with a new less-proned-to-freeze-up design. Then replace your water valve. A weeping valve can lead to ice build up. If that doesn't stop it, replace your ice maker or simply replace them both.

Durham Appliance Thrift & Repair, LLC

www.DurhamApplianceThrift.com

#6 Samurai Appliance Repair Man

Shōgun

• Fermented Grand Master
  • 28,788 posts

Posted 03 January 2014 - 09:20 AM

And post your corrected model number.  

#7 cjhsa

cjhsa

Yamabushi

• Grasshoppah
  • PipPip
  • 68 posts

Posted 03 January 2014 - 09:42 AM

GS6SHAXKS01 sorry.  I've posted it here before but couldn't find it as my search capability is limited.

#8 PDuff

PDuff

Sensei

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,776 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Bud Ice (Yeah, I know)

Posted 03 January 2014 - 09:47 AM

Most likely a damaged drive cam in the icemaker module.  You can remove the door that covers the icemaker to allow better access.  Remove the 1/4" screw to the wire harness cover at the rear/right of icemaker and remove cover.  You can then pull the icemaker out (be mindful of the emitter door on the left).  Remove the white square cover to the module and inspect the tabs that fasten the drive gear to the cam.  You may find one of these broken tabs rattling inside the module cover.  When this occurs, the contacts behind the drive gear become separated, and the icemaker can stall during the fill cycle.

If damage is found, it's more economically prudent to replace the icemaker, instead of just replacing the module.

#9 Samurai Appliance Repair Man

Shōgun

• Fermented Grand Master
  • 28,788 posts

Posted 03 January 2014 - 09:55 AM

Your replacement icemaker: http://www.repaircli...0190965/1471727

Comes with a no-hassle, 365-day return policy: http://www.repaircli...r/Return-Policy

#10 cjhsa

cjhsa

Yamabushi

• Grasshoppah
  • PipPip
  • 68 posts

Posted 03 January 2014 - 10:17 AM

Hmm.  That doesn't look like my icemaker nor or my fridge.  My icemaker is mounted across the top front, and the bin seats on the inside of the freezer door.

#11 cjhsa

cjhsa

Yamabushi

• Grasshoppah
  • PipPip
  • 68 posts

Posted 03 January 2014 - 10:46 AM

OK... I yanked mine out.  It does look like that one, or close enough.  The tabs on the cam look fine and are not at all loose. The sticker on the cover plate reads "IM #S 1-6 626636" and "LR 5010 04-01-99  2".

The cam is positioned with the "Do Not Rotate Manually" on top just like in the pics.  There are numbers on the cam "628358" and "A-40611-1M"  "9083".  I also see "40611-2" in raised letters on the molded cover plate.

#12 cjhsa

cjhsa

Yamabushi

• Grasshoppah
  • PipPip
  • 68 posts

Posted 03 January 2014 - 11:48 AM

I just reinstalled the icemaker to see what happens, after letting it warm up and dry out for an hour.  But as I put it back in, this piece came out of the freezer.  What is it?  Where does it go?

1545670_10200532594157697_910479365_n.jp

#13 cjhsa

cjhsa

Yamabushi

• Grasshoppah
  • PipPip
  • 68 posts

Posted 03 January 2014 - 02:16 PM

Well, it's been an hour and a half.  Nothing has happened.  There is no water in the tray.

#14 certified tech group 51

certified tech group 51

Sensei

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,512 posts

Posted 03 January 2014 - 03:19 PM

Part fits around the wires on the right side ...get down and look up under and behind the right side of the ice maker.....you will see a screw hole....that piece covers the area on the right , rear part.....................open it up and it installs from the rear.....slip forwards..........install screw..............Did you turn the optic switch to "ON" ???????........Have you tried the diagnostic tests for the ice maker?????................A faulty water valve will allow water to enter the fill tube, the one in the ceiling and then freeze.............In the olden days, there was a heater added to the fill tube as a replacement kit...............

#15 cjhsa

cjhsa

Yamabushi

• Grasshoppah
  • PipPip
  • 68 posts

Posted 03 January 2014 - 03:25 PM

I don't see how that fits around the wires.... I don't think it's too important is it at this point?  Yes the optics switch is on.  As far as diagnostics go, I have no lights on the optics control panel at all.  Don't know if it's burned our or faulty.

#16 Samurai Appliance Repair Man

Shōgun

• Fermented Grand Master
  • 28,788 posts

Posted 03 January 2014 - 03:42 PM

Hmm.  That doesn't look like my icemaker nor or my fridge.  My icemaker is mounted across the top front, and the bin seats on the inside of the freezer door.

You mean like this one?  

You're right, you want this icemaker:  http://www.repaircli...2198597/1016069

#17 cjhsa

cjhsa

Yamabushi

• Grasshoppah
  • PipPip
  • 68 posts

Posted 03 January 2014 - 04:05 PM

Yes, it looks like that.  The fridge was built in August 2001, however, so I'm confused about the optics.  Mine doesn't light up at all.

#18 cjhsa

cjhsa

Yamabushi

• Grasshoppah
  • PipPip
  • 68 posts

Posted 03 January 2014 - 04:50 PM

Another update.  I took the optics unit off the right side (the one with the LED).  I hit it with the blow dryer and reinstalled it.  Plugged fridge back in, waited a minute, opened the freezer, and the LED flashed THREE TIMES, twice.  So I closed the flap making sure not to block it and saw no light.  Then I realized the unit was in the OFF position, so I turned it on, closed the door, counted to 10, and checked it again.  Nothing.  No lights.

#19 cjhsa

cjhsa

Yamabushi

• Grasshoppah
  • PipPip
  • 68 posts

Posted 03 January 2014 - 05:15 PM

So next I tried the 2001 optics diagnostics.  The first time I tried them, the LED came on steady for a few seconds, then went out.  I couldn't get it to do it - or anything - again.

#20 Samurai Appliance Repair Man

Shōgun

• Fermented Grand Master
  • 28,788 posts

Posted 03 January 2014 - 05:44 PM

It can be tricky to determine the optics you have, but the Job Aid has a flow chart to help with this on page 5-1:  http://appliantology...-maker-job-aid/

You'll need to upgrade your membership to download it:  http://apprentice.appliantology.org/

Follow that procedure and let us know what you find. 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Use the Appliantology Parts Finder to Get What You Need!
Enter a model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.

Your Sometimes-Lucid Host:
"If I can't help you fix your appliance and make you 100% satisfied, I will come to your home and slice open my belly,
spilling my steaming entrails onto your floor."

The Appliance Guru | AppliancePartsResource.com | Samurai's Blog

Real Time Analytics