Use this Search Box to Find Appliance Repair Help Now
Need help finding your model number?
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Boot Camp | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Welcome to Appliantology.org, the Web's Premiere Appliance Repair Resource for DIYers!

The world-famous Samurai Appliance Repair Forums

You can post a question and get repair help for FREE! Click here to get started.

Already a member of the Appliantology Academy? Just sign in with your username and password in the upper right-hand corner of the screen.

Photo

Amana AFD2535DES Defrost - 1 or 2 problems?

amana defrost thermostat jazz

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 z100

z100

Unsui

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 05 January 2014 - 06:42 PM

Amana Refrigerator AFD2535DES not defrosting.

1. Ran internal diagnostics that indicate defrost thermostat "O" (open), therefore should be bad. Not confident of my beginner multimeter skills, but seems to confirm no continuity (I put it in ice water for the test, not sure of my leads making good contact inside connectors.)
  2. Also put in forced defrost mode which didn't sound like it cut off compressor (but did turn off evaporator fan). This would indicate the Jazz board is bad.

So are both these parts bad, is that not unusual? or:

1. Would a bad defrost thermostat that prevents entering defrost mode cause the board to not fully enter forced defrost mode and not cut off the compressor?
  2. Might a bad board give me a false error result telling me that a defrost thermostat is bad when it is really OK?

Use the Appliantology Parts Search Box to Find What You Need!
Enter your model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

#2 DurhamAppliance

DurhamAppliance

Sho' Nuff Chozin

• Grand Master Funk
  • 4,368 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Bells Two Hearted

Posted 05 January 2014 - 08:20 PM

You are giving us diagnostic info but not the symptoms. Techs abhor giving advice in a vacuum but I'll do the best I can

Ice water test is usually reserved for thermistors and not for limits. I think your limit closes at 20f, far below Ice water temp. With regards to your diagnostics saying the limit is open, it depends on the temp of your freezer. I think your limit opens at 40f and closes at 20f. To test limits, you can blast a limit with cold air from an upside down can. of compressed air.

Can a bad limit cause the compressor to stay on during forced defrost.. no
Can a bad board give misleading info? .. certainly.

Durham Appliance Thrift & Repair, LLC

www.DurhamApplianceThrift.com

#3 dtechryan

dtechryan

Ikkō-ikki

• Professional Appliantologist
  • PipPip
  • 31 posts

Posted 05 January 2014 - 10:29 PM

With the refrigerator on - I believe you can turn the temps up or down until it reaches '0' flashing on the control (indicating the fridge should be off). If you still hear the compressor running with the fridge off -chances are the relay on the board shorted and you need a new board.

I only mention this because you said the compressor is running in forced defrost mode.

#4 z100

z100

Unsui

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 06 January 2014 - 03:46 AM

With the refrigerator on - I believe you can turn the temps up or down until it reaches '0' flashing on the control (indicating the fridge should be off). If you still hear the compressor running with the fridge off -chances are the relay on the board shorted and you need a new board. 
You are giving us diagnostic info but not the symptoms.

#5 z100

z100

Unsui

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 06 January 2014 - 04:06 AM

I guess I can't edit my premature post above.  

Anyway, this is weird. I turned frig off on control, compressor went off.  Then tried forced defrost again, compressor went off! So then I tried the internal service diagnostic (position #1) for the thermostat, that now gives an "S" not a "O"!!

So maybe the board is going bad, or maybe it rebooted itself (I don't know if defrosting it manually had some effect, or just from powering off, or both) but it all indicates working normally now.  I won't know for sure until it remains frost free - how long would that be, at least a few days? longer?  I guess I can check if the heater comes on in forced defrost mode, but that requires getting behind the panel again, easier to just wait and cross my fingers.

As far as original symptoms, freezer was working fine, frig warm.  Evaporator fan and damper working normally. Excessive frost buildup.

Thanks for the responses!

#6 z100

z100

Unsui

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 06 January 2014 - 05:23 AM

or maybe moisture on the board?

#7 DurhamAppliance

DurhamAppliance

Sho' Nuff Chozin

• Grand Master Funk
  • 4,368 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Bells Two Hearted

Posted 06 January 2014 - 08:53 AM

jazz board failure... it will happen again.

Durham Appliance Thrift & Repair, LLC

www.DurhamApplianceThrift.com

#8 Samurai Appliance Repair Man

Samurai Appliance Repair Man

Shōgun

• Fermented Grand Master
  • 28,699 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Sapporo Original Draft Rice Lager

Posted 06 January 2014 - 07:35 PM

Compressor running during defrost is one of the classic jazz board failures.  Details on testing and replacing thje jazz board here: http://appliantology...-refrigerators/

Replacement jazz board:  http://www.repaircli...2784415/1541423

Comes with a 365-day, no-hassle Return Policy:  http://www.repaircli...r/Return-Policy

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Boot Camp | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Use the Appliantology Parts Finder to Get What You Need!
Enter a model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.

Your Sometimes-Lucid Host:
Samurai Appliance Repair Man
"If I can't help you fix your appliance and make you 100% satisfied, I will come to your home and slice open my belly,
spilling my steaming entrails onto your floor."

The Appliance Guru | AppliancePartsResource.com | Samurai's Blog

Real Time Analytics