Use this Search Box to Find Appliance Repair Help Now
Need help finding your model number?
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Welcome to Appliantology.org, the Web's Premiere Appliance Repair Resource for DIYers!

The world-famous Samurai Appliance Repair Forums

You can post a question and get repair help for FREE! Click here to get started.

Already a member of the Appliantology Academy? Just sign in with your username and password in the upper right-hand corner of the screen.

Photo

24 volt tester

24Volt

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Patricio

Patricio

Opa

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,345 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Home brewed ice tea

Posted 05 January 2014 - 07:15 PM

I needed to test a contacter in a heat pump compressor & I wanted a live test so a made a jumper out of an old 120/24 volt transformer.  Alligator clips on low voltage side & 120v plug on high voltage side.   Tells me for sure if contacter snaps in & is good so I can elimnate it as a problem.   Will work for other situations that calls for 24v.

I see says the blind man, leading a lame dog, while talking to a deaf person. In other words, Not liable if you choose to follow my opinion.
IgonFishn

Use the Appliantology Parts Search Box to Find What You Need!
Enter your model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

#2 acfixerdude

acfixerdude

Sōhei

• Appliantologist
  • PipPipPip
  • 112 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Lagunitas IPA

Posted 06 January 2014 - 04:26 AM

I might have to find an old transformer laying around in the basement and make me one of those to test PCB relays...

#3 BryanS

BryanS

Senpai

• Chief Appliantologist
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 948 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:I don't drink

Posted 06 January 2014 - 03:33 PM

First off, all you have to do is push the plastic button on the contactor to engage it. I usually use my multimeter lead or leads to push it in. Check from one side of the 24v coil to the other side for 24v. If you have 24v to the contactor coil, the compressor and condensor fan kick on when you manually push in the contactor, then it's safe to say your contactor is bad. I've had a few contactors that were energized but voltage wasnt going through because the contacts were to pitted. Then you replace it. You can rig up a tester if you want, but I don't see the need for it for an a/c contactor.

Edited by BryanS, 06 January 2014 - 03:34 PM.

#4 acfixerdude

acfixerdude

Sōhei

• Appliantologist
  • PipPipPip
  • 112 posts

Posted 06 January 2014 - 05:20 PM

I think he may be referring to testing when he doesn't have 24v going the coil. I've known a bad coil to take out a new T-Stat or fan board.

#5 wishfultech

wishfultech

Yamabushi

• Grasshoppah
  • PipPip
  • 79 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:iced tea

Posted 07 January 2014 - 06:09 PM

I built 1 of those several years ago and it does come in handy for checking things. At the time I built it I was looking for a solution for checking controls with the high voltage off.Works like a charm.

#6 acfixerdude

acfixerdude

Sōhei

• Appliantologist
  • PipPipPip
  • 112 posts

Posted 13 January 2014 - 01:31 AM

I built 1 of those several years ago and it does come in handy for checking things. At the time I built it I was looking for a solution for checking controls with the high voltage off.Works like a charm.

Did you output 24v DC or AC?

#7 wishfultech

wishfultech

Yamabushi

• Grasshoppah
  • PipPip
  • 79 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:iced tea

Posted 14 January 2014 - 08:08 PM

24 V AC

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Use the Appliantology Parts Finder to Get What You Need!
Enter a model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.

Your Sometimes-Lucid Host:
Samurai Appliance Repair Man
"If I can't help you fix your appliance and make you 100% satisfied, I will come to your home and slice open my belly,
spilling my steaming entrails onto your floor."

The Appliance Guru | AppliancePartsResource.com | Samurai's Blog

Real Time Analytics