Learn appliance repair at the Samurai Tech Academy.  Learn more.  Earn more.

Parts Search
Site Search

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Welcome to Appliantology.org, the Web's Premiere Appliance Repair Resource!

The world-famous Samurai Appliance Repair Forums

To get started, click here.

Already a member of the Appliantology Academy? Just sign in with your username and password in the upper right-hand corner of the screen.

Photo

Kenmore dryer won't start 110-96591240

kenmore dryer no dont start whirlpool

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 yhc

yhc

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 07 January 2014 - 02:45 AM

Good evening Appliance Samurai.

My Kenmore dryer has stopped working today.  After a normal operation cycle it stopped working altogether...nothing happens when I push the start switch with the timer set.

This is so far what I have done for trouble shooting.

1.  I do NOT hear any humming motor noise when the start button is pushed. 

2.  With ohm meter the following components have been checked and all seem to have intact circuits: 

a.  start switch

b.  door switch

c.  Thermal cut out fuse

d.  thermostat 

3.  Drive belt is intact

4.  Wiring looks good without any evidence of blistering, etc.  L1 & L2 both have 120 v each with 240 v combined

So far everything seems to check out from what I can gather...except the timer.  My understanding is that timer does not go out too often but it could happen.  

The timer motor advances the knob normally.  However, it is making clicking/ticking sound when I set the timer in mid-cycle.  I recall hearing this clicking/ticking sound in the past only when a dryer cycle gets to the "wrinkle guard" zone.  

I did take the timer off from the control panel.  When I shook the timer there was a rattling sound so I took the cover off of the timer.  Inside there was a small (~0.2 in) brass button.  It appears it broke off of one of the contacts (from BK terminal that contacts R (see attached pics below)).

When I test circuits, the only time I get a complete circuit is when I put the probes between BK/R, WB/GY.  The other combination of terminals (i.e. BU/BK, BU/R, W/T, W/GY, T/GY, etc) I get infinity.   

Does this verify whether the timer is bad or not?  If not what else can I check before ordering the timer to verify it is bad?

jo3s_MRZrM6nrJD1nepuye0jdAQPQhSOWB1UG5mWUR33SoRhhTRP8PvvLQqciI7W43mP2vLNNNDdwR5q

IMG_5000+%2528800x533%2529.jpg

IMG_4999+%2528800x533%2529.jpg

Use the Appliantology Parts Search Box to Find What You Need!
Enter your model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

#2 -Mike-

-Mike-

Kohai

• Sublime Master of Appliantology
  • PipPipPip
  • 338 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:diet Pepsi

Posted 07 January 2014 - 10:34 PM

EDIT: wait a minute here

Edited by -Mike-, 07 January 2014 - 10:37 PM.

#3 -Mike-

-Mike-

Kohai

• Sublime Master of Appliantology
  • PipPipPip
  • 338 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:diet Pepsi

Posted 07 January 2014 - 11:00 PM

Well I can't find a schematic for your dryer so lets wait for someone else to confirm what the BK and R terminals on the timer are for. I would say its safe to assume you're going to need a timer here  since that point fell off but I wanted to make sure what circuit its for to confirm it will not allow the motor to start.

#4 Scottthewolf

Scottthewolf

Senpai

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,876 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Dunkin Donuts Coffee

Posted 07 January 2014 - 11:16 PM

Yes, you have a bad timer. 

Timers usually fail this way by turning the timer manually while the dryer is already running.  If you need to change the timer setting, open the dryer door to stop the dryer, THEN change your timer setting. There is also less wear and tear on the timer if you only turn it clockwise as well.

Link to a new timer:  http://www.repaircli...er/3398195/2045

Scott Wolf

#5 yhc

yhc

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 08 January 2014 - 02:13 AM

Mike, Scott,

Thanks for the replies, sensei.

Regards,

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Use the Appliantology Parts Finder to Get What You Need!
Enter a model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

Your Sometimes-Lucid Host:
Samurai Appliance Repair Man
"If I can't help you fix your appliance and make you 100% satisfied, I will come to your home and slice open my belly,
spilling my steaming entrails onto your floor."

The Appliance Guru | Master Samurai Tech

Real Time Analytics