Use this Search Box to Find Appliance Repair Help Now
Need help finding your model number?
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Boot Camp | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Welcome to Appliantology.org, the Web's Premiere Appliance Repair Resource for DIYers!

The world-famous Samurai Appliance Repair Forums

You can post a question and get repair help for FREE! Click here to get started.

Already a member of the Appliantology Academy? Just sign in with your username and password in the upper right-hand corner of the screen.

Kenmore Defrosting Problems

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Lurker_Ditdah_*

Lurker_Ditdah_*
  • Lurking at the Threshold

Posted 09 May 2005 - 05:01 AM

Ok, so reading this [glow=red]awesome[/glow] site has helped me probably diagnose my problem. I have a Kenmore fridge, freezer on top. It seems to be fairly new, but we just moved in so I don't know. There is a large buildup of frost on the back wall, and while the freezer is cold, the refrigerator is warm. From what I can gather on this site, I most likely have a problem with one of the defrost components - the heater, thermostat, or timer.

So, my question - we rent this place, so I'm not planning on paying for this or fixing it myself unless I have to. Besides, I'd probably end up electrocuting myself, or burning the house down. However, it could take our landlord FOREVER to get someone out there to do so. If I manually defrost it myself, how long will I have before the thing freezes up again? Is it going to be worth my time to defrost it and get the temp down for a few days to save the food, or do I just say 'fugettaboutit' and wait for someone to get out and look at it?

And before you all send the lynch mob after me, I'm at work - so I don't have the model number. As soon as I get home I will post it. Thank you all for any help you can provide...

Use the Appliantology Parts Search Box to Find What You Need!
Enter your model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

#2 FatMan

FatMan

Sōhei

• Master Appliantologist
  • PipPipPip
  • 233 posts

Posted 09 May 2005 - 06:09 AM

If you remove the back panel in the freezer compartment and defrost the evaporator coil(make sure you get the drain hole to and have a towel ready) with a hair dryer you could have it up and running in a couple of hours maybe sooner, if you just shut it off and open the doors I would let it set a good 24 hrs., it will take about 3-5 days to ice up again. If you have already done your research you probably already know where the defrost timer is, advance the timer until the first click(do this before defrosting) and listen for hissing noise, if you hear that sound then you need a new timer, if not then must likely a defrost thermostat( I would replace them both at the same time, but that's just me) . Tell the landlord to get ya a new one, Good Luck:D

#3 Lurker_Ditdah_*

Lurker_Ditdah_*

Posted 09 May 2005 - 12:28 PM

Ok, so I'm home and now I'm more confused. The model number listed is 25379152990. I've checked it 3 times. This is on large white sticker inside fridge, also lists a bunch of 'statistics' as well as serial number. Isn't a Kenmore supposed to have a three digit number before it? Also looked on back of refrig, removed kickplate, can't find anything different.

I'm trying to figure out where the timer is so I can check it as suggested, but how do I do that without finding a manual? DO I just pull the rear inside panel off and look for it there?

#4 Mad Mac

Mad Mac

Sensei

• Academy Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,432 posts

Posted 09 May 2005 - 12:35 PM

Its 253.79152990, which means...ITS A FRIGGIN' FRIGGIDAIRE:yikes:

If memory serves correctly, you should find the timer up where the controls are in the refrigerator compartment. Look from underneath, you should see the little round piece which turns with a screwdriver.

http://www.partselect.com/assets/partimages/423801_1_M.jpg

Mad Mac....Pray to God he's out there....somewhere.

#5 Lurker_Ditdah_*

Lurker_Ditdah_*

Posted 09 May 2005 - 01:05 PM

Thanks, MadMac - found it. Advanced it, and the thing clicked and the fan shut off. Now, how do I tell if it's working correctly? Didn't hear a hissing sound - can I feel somewhere to see if it gets hot?

Sorry for all the dumb questions... new to this whole thing.

#6 Mad Mac

Mad Mac

Sensei

• Academy Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,432 posts

Posted 09 May 2005 - 03:59 PM

The defrost heater is located under the evaporator. You will need to take the back panel off the freezer compartment to see what's going on - you may be able to hear the frost melting, or possibly see the glow of the heater.
Mad Mac....Pray to God he's out there....somewhere.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Boot Camp | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Use the Appliantology Parts Finder to Get What You Need!
Enter a model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.

Your Sometimes-Lucid Host:
Samurai Appliance Repair Man
"If I can't help you fix your appliance and make you 100% satisfied, I will come to your home and slice open my belly,
spilling my steaming entrails onto your floor."

The Appliance Guru | AppliancePartsResource.com | Samurai's Blog

Real Time Analytics