Learn appliance repair at the Samurai Tech Academy.  Learn more.  Earn more.

Use this Search Box to Find Appliance Repair Help Now
Need help finding your model number?
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Welcome to Appliantology.org, the Web's Premiere Appliance Repair Resource!

The world-famous Samurai Appliance Repair Forums

You can post a question and get repair help for FREE! Click here to get started.

Already a member of the Appliantology Academy? Just sign in with your username and password in the upper right-hand corner of the screen.

Photo

Converting non-convertable Thermador range to Propane

propane conversion thermador

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 raenraen

raenraen

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:dos x

Posted 10 January 2014 - 05:01 PM

Hi, all.

I recently got a second-hand Thermador range (model PGR364GDZS [the model number for the propane version is PGR364GDLP]) which I need to convert from NG to LP. Except suposedly it's non-convertable, comes from the factory one way or the other. The best info I've been able to find on this issue has been from this forum, in this 2011 thread.  http://appliantology...dor-pgr366zs01/

I contacted a local repair guy who has experience with Thermadors, and he called a Thermador engineer, who says that these ranges are not convertable because it is too hard to get to the burner orifices to change them. Can't be done without a whole lot of tearing apart, he says.

I'm willing to do "a whole lot of tearing apart" if necessary to make this work; I really love the range. What I'm not clear on is whether this is just a big pain in the ass, or really nearly impossible as claimed. Has anyone opened one of these things up?

Thanks in advance for any advice you can give me.

**I am aware that this is super-duper horrible dangerous and I will probably kill myself and my family, and cause the colapse of western civilizaion by messing with a gas appliance in a way the manufacturer disaproves of.  I'm willing to take the risk.

Use the Appliantology Parts Search Box to Find What You Need!
Enter your model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

#2 raenraen

raenraen

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 10 January 2014 - 07:16 PM

Well, that was easier than advertised. We tore the cook top apart tonight. The gas regulator took about 5 seconds to switch to propane, and the burner orifices were easy to access and dissemble.

For future google-ers, the part you need for the burners is Part number: AP3782890

Part number: AP3782890

The regulator needs the brass nut removed, then there is a plastic part stuck to it. Pull the plastic off and turn it around, put back together. 

We don't have the parts yet, so things have not been reassembled, but I will report back when it's done.

Edited by Samurai Appliance Repair Man, 16 January 2014 - 03:57 PM.

#3 raenraen

raenraen

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 16 January 2014 - 03:44 PM

Two of the orifices were backordered, but we got the other two, and things are running nicely.

#4 MicaBay

MicaBay

Master Roaster

• Sublime Master of Appliantology
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 770 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Drifter Pale Ale

Posted 18 January 2014 - 08:42 PM

What color is the flame from the burners? Orange? Or blue?

#5 jumptrout

jumptrout

Sensei

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,380 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Coors Light

Posted 18 January 2014 - 08:49 PM

LP orifice outlet holes are smaller than NG.

You can peen down the holes to close them to the right size.

#6 raenraen

raenraen

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 19 January 2014 - 10:15 AM

The flames are a nice consistent blue. We are going to have to re-drill the orifices for the oven, griddle, and broilers because the parts aren't available (at least that I can find.)

#7 raenraen

raenraen

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 19 January 2014 - 10:23 AM

Getting the orifices out of the broilers was the biggest challenge, we had to go in through the back of the range, and it was kind of a pain. Took probably an hour.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: propane, conversion, thermador

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Use the Appliantology Parts Finder to Get What You Need!
Enter a model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.

Your Sometimes-Lucid Host:
Samurai Appliance Repair Man
"If I can't help you fix your appliance and make you 100% satisfied, I will come to your home and slice open my belly,
spilling my steaming entrails onto your floor."

The Appliance Guru | Master Samurai Tech

Real Time Analytics