Learn appliance repair at the Samurai Tech Academy.  Learn more.  Earn more.

Use this Search Box to Find Appliance Repair Help Now
Need help finding your model number?
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Welcome to Appliantology.org, the Web's Premiere Appliance Repair Resource!

The world-famous Samurai Appliance Repair Forums

You can post a question and get repair help for FREE! Click here to get started.

Already a member of the Appliantology Academy? Just sign in with your username and password in the upper right-hand corner of the screen.

Photo

Whirlpool still being cheap along with Frigidaire

• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#1 Scottthewolf

Scottthewolf

Senpai

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,832 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Dunkin Donuts Coffee

Posted 10 January 2014 - 11:08 PM

OK, worked on a Whirlpool SXS refrigerator with a mechanical cold control.  This really drives me nuts how the new cold control doesn't come with the plastic sleeve already installed on it. Instead, you have to pull the old sleeve off the temperature sensing bulb of the old cold control and waste  alot of time trying to pull the sleeve on the temperature sensing bulb of the new cold control without breaking it.  For a couple of  dollars more, WHY can't they have the sleeve already installed on the new cold control?   I have broke 2 of the new cold controls already.  WHAT do you guys do to make the sleeve go on easier without cracking the tempature sensing bulb of the new cold control?

Also, worked on an older Frigidaire front load washer with electronic controls.  The magnet for the reed switch of the dispenser drawer fell out of the drawer and threw  up a fault code.  Since there is no telling where the magnet goes, I called the tech line.  Tech line says to just bypass  the reed switch all together and just jump it out.  

Why couldn't they just sell a whole dispenser drawer like Samsung does instead of having to order the dispenser drawer in pieces?

Scott Wolf

Use the Appliantology Parts Search Box to Find What You Need!
Enter your model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

#2 -Mike-

-Mike-

Kohai

• Appliantologist
  • PipPipPip
  • 338 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:diet Pepsi

Posted 10 January 2014 - 11:56 PM

How did you break them?

Couple of things I've learned with them...

when you unwind the capliary don't grab the tip and pull it out. That will twist it when its straightened out. Put your finger in the loop and pull the thermostat away with your other hand so it unwinds without twisting.  Do that while holding the thermostat so its pulling the capilary straight from where its attached to the themostat. You don't want to put a sharp bend in it there thats going to weaken it.

And the tube goes on a lot easier if its hot.

#3 SANTA

SANTA

Senpai

• Sublime Master of Appliantology
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 805 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Windsor/Molson

Posted 11 January 2014 - 12:41 AM

I rub sil-glide on the new one. They slip right on.

#4 DurhamAppliance

DurhamAppliance

Sho' Nuff Chozin

• Grand Master Funk
  • 4,863 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Bells Two Hearted

Posted 11 January 2014 - 05:19 AM

I use my steamer and shoot steam through the sleeve (put on some gloves!). Then it slides on like butter.

Santa, not sure if sil glyde is a great choice. It's for brakes and highly toxic. If you want to use a lubricant, use something like Super lube... it's a food grade lubricant http://www.super-lub...fe-ezp-240.html

Edited by DurhamAppliance, 11 January 2014 - 05:28 AM.

Durham Appliance Thrift & Repair, LLC

www.DurhamApplianceThrift.com

#5 applianceman97

applianceman97

Baby Sensei

• Grand Master Funk
  • 1,899 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Fresh Squeezed IPA

Posted 12 January 2014 - 09:57 PM

I just put it on dry. The steamer is a great tip though!!! Gonna do that next time

Kicks major Samsung booty first, asks diagnostic questions later.

http://www.justintimeappliance.com

#6 -Mike-

-Mike-

Kohai

• Appliantologist
  • PipPipPip
  • 338 posts

Posted 13 January 2014 - 12:31 AM

The steamer is the appliance repairman's best friend.

#7 DurhamAppliance

DurhamAppliance

Sho' Nuff Chozin

• Grand Master Funk
  • 4,863 posts

Posted 13 January 2014 - 10:25 AM

I just put it on dry. The steamer is a great tip though!!! Gonna do that next time

The steam does two things, it causes the tube to expand and soften and it also provides some moisture for lubrication. Just be careful... don't straighten the capillary tube on the new control until you have removed AND discarded (or marked) the old control. If not, while you are setting up your steamer this distraction can make it is easy to confuse the new control with the old one. They can look remarkably similar... only faint screw marks have saved me on a couple of occasions. lol

Edited by DurhamAppliance, 13 January 2014 - 10:26 AM.

#8 Patricio

Patricio

Opa

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,410 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Home brewed ice tea

Posted 13 January 2014 - 11:07 AM

I've used a little spit before, I will use my steamer from now on.

I see says the blind man, leading a lame dog, while talking to a deaf person. In other words, Not liable if you choose to follow my opinion.
IgonFishn

#9 PDuff

PDuff

Sensei

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,977 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Bud Ice (Yeah, I know)

Posted 13 January 2014 - 04:59 PM

:ermm:  I have a confession.  After removing the sleeve I would cut it in half and reinstall it on the new t-stat.  The cut ends fit snugly together and the break was far enough away from the diffuser and covered by the plastic trim.  Never broke another cap tube and never had a call back.  I'm a bad man, veddy bad man.  :nono:

#10 DurhamAppliance

DurhamAppliance

Sho' Nuff Chozin

• Grand Master Funk
  • 4,863 posts

Posted 13 January 2014 - 09:26 PM

Well, you could always buy one new sleeve. Pre-thread it on a new cold control and have it ready in stock. Then when you replace a cold control with the new pre-threaded cold control, remove the old sleeve and at your leisure, pre-thread another new cc and have it awaiting a future install... repeat ad-infinitum.

If you have more than one to do before you can pre-thread a cc, you could cheat like Pduff... lol

Edited by DurhamAppliance, 13 January 2014 - 09:28 PM.

#11 BryanS

BryanS

Sensei

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,178 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:I don't drink

Posted 15 January 2014 - 11:55 PM

I had trouble with those too. Another tech just showed me to make the tstat tube as straight as possible and keep it straight while you work it on. Most of the time they go on smooth when I've done it that way.

Edited by BryanS, 15 January 2014 - 11:56 PM.

#12 DurhamAppliance

DurhamAppliance

Sho' Nuff Chozin

• Grand Master Funk
  • 4,863 posts

Posted 17 January 2014 - 12:34 AM

well, from experience, I can tell you what not to do... Never shorten the capillary wire on a cold control by cutting it. Okay, okay you can stop laughing now.. hey, I was young... no appliantology...no teacher...I didn't have my tool bag... it wasn't me... my dog ate it... It wasn't my fault...

and nothing I read said "please do not cut." Then again. nothing I read said "don't walk in front of a speeding semi" neither. Live and learn, now I am an expert at not cutting capillary wires.

Edited by DurhamAppliance, 17 January 2014 - 12:42 AM.

#13 -Mike-

-Mike-

Kohai

• Appliantologist
  • PipPipPip
  • 338 posts

Posted 17 January 2014 - 09:55 PM

well, from experience, I can tell you what not to do... Never shorten the capillary wire on a cold control by cutting it.

That reminds me of the quote "good choices come with experience and experience comes  with making bad choices"

I don't remember who said it but it fits a lot of things in my past I can look back on.

#14 Scottthewolf

Scottthewolf

Senpai

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,832 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Dunkin Donuts Coffee

Posted 22 January 2014 - 12:37 AM

I broke the second cold control, even after trying to be uber careful with it and lubing it with food grade Super Lube. The sleeve gets halfway and then gets stuck and eventually breaks the sensing bulb. Whirlpool was really dumb making the sensing bulb on the cold control way too long and not having the sleeve already installed on the replacement cold control. 

Not wanting to keep the customer waiting any longer, I refunded their money and told them to call A&E Factory Service or another factory authorized service company for Whirlpool.  I really wanted to voice my opinion on this issue to Whirlpool, but they don't want to hear it unless you are factory authorized.

Also, has anyone received damaged 4342528 Whirlpool oven ignitors recently?  I got a few of them where the bubble wrap was peeled off of the ignitor and it rattled around in the box and broke.

Scott Wolf

#15 -Mike-

-Mike-

Kohai

• Appliantologist
  • PipPipPip
  • 338 posts

Posted 22 January 2014 - 01:03 AM

Where did it break at? Can you make a video demonstration how you're putting the tube on? 

#16 applianceman97

applianceman97

Baby Sensei

• Grand Master Funk
  • 1,899 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Fresh Squeezed IPA

Posted 22 January 2014 - 01:56 AM

We Haven't had any broken igniters. Doesn't that tick ya off. Broken parts out of the box.

Kicks major Samsung booty first, asks diagnostic questions later.

http://www.justintimeappliance.com

#17 MicaBay

MicaBay

Master Roaster

• PipPipPipPip
  • 769 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Drifter Pale Ale

Posted 23 January 2014 - 12:29 AM

We Haven't had any broken igniters. Doesn't that tick ya off. Broken parts out of the box.

Our supplier has been good to us.  Only a few times they sent a bad part, but when they do it gets credited promptly. 

#18 TheApplianceTechnician

TheApplianceTechnician

Yamabushi

• PipPip
  • 60 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Bud light

Posted 05 February 2014 - 06:36 PM

For the cold control I've always used dish soap to help it slide on. Never had any trouble getting it on after fighting the first one.

“A man is most accurately judged by how he treats those who are not in a position either to retaliate or to reciprocate.”

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Use the Appliantology Parts Finder to Get What You Need!
Enter a model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.

Your Sometimes-Lucid Host:
Samurai Appliance Repair Man
"If I can't help you fix your appliance and make you 100% satisfied, I will come to your home and slice open my belly,
spilling my steaming entrails onto your floor."

The Appliance Guru | Master Samurai Tech

Real Time Analytics