Use this Search Box to Find Appliance Repair Help Now
Need help finding your model number?
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Boot Camp | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Welcome to Appliantology.org, the Web's Premiere Appliance Repair Resource for DIYers!

The world-famous Samurai Appliance Repair Forums

You can post a question and get repair help for FREE! Click here to get started.

Already a member of the Appliantology Academy? Just sign in with your username and password in the upper right-hand corner of the screen.

Photo

LG front load washer - drum won't turn by hand

• Please log in to reply
30 replies to this topic

#21 LG Washer User

LG Washer User

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 12 posts

Posted 18 January 2014 - 10:17 AM

Any suggestions? Can't believe itisnt budging

Use the Appliantology Parts Search Box to Find What You Need!
Enter your model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

#22 suampman

suampman

Kohai

• Chief Appliantologist
  • PipPipPip
  • 271 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:redbridge

Posted 18 January 2014 - 03:21 PM

Try penetrating oil. Sometimes these things take perseverance. Just make sure there are no snap rings or fasteners holding it. Other than that it went together, it has to come apart. Hope this helps.

#23 Patricio

Patricio

Sensei

• Academy Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,308 posts

Posted 18 January 2014 - 08:21 PM

Maybe not in your case but I have beat some things so hard I thought I was going to break it.  Then I would whack it even harder & it would come loose.  And as Swampman says make sure nothing is  retaining it & use some penetrating oil, maybe some heat from a heat gun.   Best of luck

I see says the blind man, leading a lame dog, while talking to a deaf person. In other words, Not liable if you choose to follow my opinion.
IgonFishn

#24 -Mike-

-Mike-

Kohai

• Master Appliantologist
  • PipPipPip
  • 338 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:diet Pepsi

Posted 19 January 2014 - 01:48 AM

Blaster from PB works great if anything will do it.

My method with seperating these is not to hammer down on the end of the shaft. I'll put a 2x4 or whatever piece of wood you have on top of the shaft and then whack away with a hammer on the top of the board.

However I've still ran in to a few that do not seperate no matter what you do.

#25 certified tech group 51

certified tech group 51

Sensei

• Academy Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,500 posts

Posted 19 January 2014 - 10:07 AM

Find a piece of plywood about 1/2"  thick by about 3'X3'........Position the two piece assy. ( outer tub and the spin basket ) with the splined shaft pointing down....Pick-up the assy about 2 feet.....Hit it onto  the plywood...............try that a few times...........If it starts to move but run out if spline, purchase a threaded fastener that is longer than the stator fastener, install in the spline end and continue basket removal.........................................If anything breaks, it needed to be changed anyway................

#26 electro_doc

electro_doc

Senpai

• Sublime Master of Appliantology
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 719 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:orange juice

Posted 19 January 2014 - 09:28 PM

kind of reminds me of the old Whirlpools or even some Westinghouse"s I've run into.  Heat, torch, chisel, sledge hammer, busted knuckles, blood, lot's of wd40, I thought those days were over!  Looks like a whole new world.  Here I thought the new generation was going to be cleaner and more technical.  Well the more things change, the more they stay the same!  Bring it on!

Doc

#27 LG Washer User

LG Washer User

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 12 posts

Posted 19 January 2014 - 10:14 PM

Well thank you all for the encouragement and ideas :-D

I will say that luckily I was able force turn the inner drum and find the massive blockage of lint. With tweezers and pliers I successfully removed all (or all visible) lint - picture will follow.

As soon as it was all out the drum spins beautifully. I will say I contemplate going at it again to separate it but I don't want to risk breaking anything by hitting ir harder than I've already tried so I may just accept this as a win.

Waitiing on a seal tomorrow then I'm going to put the baby back together. I'll make sure to update everyone once it's back together.

THANK YOU ALL for your help and guidance. This forum has been awesome. I really appreciate the guidance and help.

#28 LG Washer User

LG Washer User

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 12 posts

Posted 19 January 2014 - 10:31 PM

30s8t2f.jpg

for those who are interested :) this is why my drum wouldnt turn :p (i can smile now but such a frustrating process - about an hour of picking and pulling)

#29 electro_doc

electro_doc

Senpai

• Sublime Master of Appliantology
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 719 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:orange juice

Posted 19 January 2014 - 11:35 PM

That is awesome!  Great job and figuring that out without messing up the drum and bearing is commendable.  I really enjoyed this thread! Let us know how it goes when you get it all back together.  That was a great find.

Doc

#30 certified tech group 51

certified tech group 51

Sensei

• Academy Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,500 posts

Posted 23 January 2014 - 10:44 AM

Looks like a mop head was washed...... :woot: ....

#31 LG Washer User

LG Washer User

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 12 posts

Posted 23 January 2014 - 11:22 AM

seriously! - although i know that wasnt the case

As an update - the machine is back together and functioning... kept the back off for now to monitor for leaks but ran 2 loads and so far so good.

Diagnostics ran wonderfully as well.

Once again thank you ALL for the help and guidance.

very grateful

Regards,

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Boot Camp | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Use the Appliantology Parts Finder to Get What You Need!
Enter a model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.

Your Sometimes-Lucid Host:
Samurai Appliance Repair Man
"If I can't help you fix your appliance and make you 100% satisfied, I will come to your home and slice open my belly,
spilling my steaming entrails onto your floor."

The Appliance Guru | AppliancePartsResource.com | Samurai's Blog

Real Time Analytics