Use this Search Box to Find Appliance Repair Help Now
Need help finding your model number?
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Welcome to Appliantology.org, the Web's Premiere Appliance Repair Resource for DIYers!

The world-famous Samurai Appliance Repair Forums

You can post a question and get repair help for FREE! Click here to get started.

Already a member of the Appliantology Academy? Just sign in with your username and password in the upper right-hand corner of the screen.

Photo

Kenmore refrigerator side-by-side 253.50683000 too cold overall

• Please log in to reply
20 replies to this topic

#1 dkmn

dkmn

Ikkō-ikki

• Grasshoppah
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Winter Ales

Posted 12 January 2014 - 01:02 PM

Greetings Esteemed Appliantologists, 

Buoyed up by the recent success of our dishwasher repairs, I now go to tackle the side-by-side fridge in my Samurai Fortress (garage), where the beer is stored. This thing has become so cold that all other bottles have shattered in the fridge side (the inherent goodness in beer and homemade pickles protects them, and the Honey Badger homemade marmalade don't care either... sparkling water stands no chance). 

Infrared thermometer (long story) says "-22F" in freezer and "8-11F" in fridge. Since I'm not on the moon, that sounds too cold to me. Although I used to live in Minnesota. 

Model # is 25350683000. Date of manufacture lists 2000. 

From reading here, it sounds like this is likely:

-cold control (located at top of freezer)

or less likely

-control board

Questions:

1. Does anyone have a tech manual for this fridgy? I don't find anything in "Downloads" nor too obviously on Google. 

2. Is there a diagnostic sequence that I should attempt?

3. Regardless of the above, is there an easy way test the cold control (e.g. set it low but not off and test continuity or something)?

Thanks much in advance, 

David

Use the Appliantology Parts Search Box to Find What You Need!
Enter your model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

#2 Samurai Appliance Repair Man

Samurai Appliance Repair Man

Shōgun

• Master Samurai Tech
  • 29,177 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Sapporo Original Draft Rice Lager

Posted 12 January 2014 - 01:10 PM

Infrared thermometer (long story) says "-22F" in freezer and "8-11F" in fridge. Since I'm not on the moon, that sounds too cold to me. Although I used to live in Minnesota. 

Where do you live now?  And what's the ambient temperature of the garage?

#3 dkmn

dkmn

Ikkō-ikki

• Grasshoppah
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts

Posted 12 January 2014 - 01:28 PM

Where do you live now?  And what's the ambient temperature of the garage?

Moshiwake gozaimasen!!! (I have no excuse)

I'll update my profile...

Near Seattle, WA. Outside ambient temps low 40s (F) now, dipped just below freezing a few weeks ago, occasionally approaching 50F during day. Garage is minimally-buffered, but not actively heated, probably one a couple degrees above (uninsulated). 

David

ETA: I just tried to find a tech sheet in the appliance but no luck. Just a sheet on plumbing the icemaker...

Edited by dkmn, 12 January 2014 - 01:29 PM.

#4 DurhamAppliance

DurhamAppliance

Sho' Nuff Chozin

• Grand Master Funk
  • 4,725 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Bells Two Hearted

Posted 12 January 2014 - 08:14 PM

sounds like a bad cold control.

Durham Appliance Thrift & Repair, LLC

www.DurhamApplianceThrift.com

#5 dkmn

dkmn

Ikkō-ikki

• Grasshoppah
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts

Posted 12 January 2014 - 08:48 PM

That was kind of my thinking... Playing the odds, I just ordered from the forum store, so if it doesn't work at least I can return it. 

(like your sig quotes by the way)

#6 Samurai Appliance Repair Man

Shōgun

• Master Samurai Tech
  • 29,177 posts

Posted 12 January 2014 - 09:57 PM

Yep, gotta be a bad cold control. And, yes, comes with a no-hassle 365-day return policy: http://www.repaircli...03300027/630215

#7 dkmn

dkmn

Ikkō-ikki

• Grasshoppah
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts

Posted 19 January 2014 - 03:44 PM

Ok, replaced cold control yesterday. Seemed too cold with both mid-range, so set freezer to 1/4 of it's range and fridge to 1/2. 

Today, ambient is about 42F. 
Measuring the bottom of the icemaker and the bottom of the plastic tunnel on the left top of the fridge (IR thermometer) I get:

-6F and +18F for freezer and fridge...

This makes me wonder if something else is wrong. Maybe the damper as well? Should I worry about a control board? 

Also, if anyone has tips on systematically testing the fridge, or a manual/tech sheet, I'd be much obliged!

Thanks,

David

#8 Samurai Appliance Repair Man

Shōgun

• Master Samurai Tech
  • 29,177 posts

Posted 19 January 2014 - 04:38 PM

Can you scan and post the wiring diagram?  Alternatively, you could fax it to me at 866-315-4504, reference your topic on your cover sheet. 

#9 dkmn

dkmn

Ikkō-ikki

• Grasshoppah
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts

Posted 19 January 2014 - 04:40 PM

Greetings, Samurai, and thanks for the quick response. 

I do not actually have the wiring diagram. It was missing from the expected location under the front lower plastic cover. :(

#10 Samurai Appliance Repair Man

Shōgun

• Master Samurai Tech
  • 29,177 posts

Posted 19 January 2014 - 04:47 PM

You've run into one of the big disadvantages with Kenmores: The Kenmore Information Blockage.  Sears deliberately makes it difficult to cross Kenmore model numbers over to their OEM equivalent; for some brands it nearly impossible unless you have some inside information from either Sears or the OEM company.  Read more about the Kenmore scam here:  http://appliantology...t-another-scam/

You could buy a replacement tech sheet from Sears.  If you plan on keeping this box, you'll want it anyway.  

#11 -Mike-

-Mike-

Kohai

• Appliantologist
  • PipPipPip
  • 338 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:diet Pepsi

Posted 19 January 2014 - 05:00 PM

Ok, replaced cold control yesterday. Seemed too cold with both mid-range, so set freezer to 1/4 of it's range and fridge to 1/2. 

Today, ambient is about 42F. 
Measuring the bottom of the icemaker and the bottom of the plastic tunnel on the left top of the fridge (IR thermometer) I get:

-6F and +18F for freezer and fridge...

This makes me wonder if something else is wrong. Maybe the damper as well? Should I worry about a control board? 

Also, if anyone has tips on systematically testing the fridge, or a manual/tech sheet, I'd be much obliged!

Thanks,

David

Take another temperature inside the refrigerator but at a different spot. Where you got your 18 degree reading from is right where the freezer air is comming in to the refrigerator so its going to be colder then what the refrigerator actually is.

Edited by Samurai Appliance Repair Man, 19 January 2014 - 05:00 PM.

#12 DurhamAppliance

DurhamAppliance

Sho' Nuff Chozin

• Grand Master Funk
  • 4,725 posts

Posted 19 January 2014 - 08:28 PM

Good point Mike... also how are you taking temps? Have you verified the accuracy? Also,. did you have any problems installing the cold control (have to ask that question because some folks have actually cut the capillary wire to make it fit better, rendering the control useless... why y'all looking at me like that... do you actually think I have done that myself? nope, never... that was my evil twin.

#13 DurhamAppliance

DurhamAppliance

Sho' Nuff Chozin

• Grand Master Funk
  • 4,725 posts

Posted 19 January 2014 - 09:17 PM

here is the compatible Frigidaire manual http://appliantology...service-manual/

Edited by Samurai Appliance Repair Man, 20 January 2014 - 08:49 AM.
Added link to Downloads section.

#14 Samurai Appliance Repair Man

Shōgun

• Master Samurai Tech
  • 29,177 posts

Posted 20 January 2014 - 08:50 AM

here is the compatible Frigidaire manual http://appliantology...service-manual/

Now that is incredible, Brother Durham-- how did you cross that kenmore model number over to the correct Frikkidaire manual?

#15 dkmn

dkmn

Ikkō-ikki

• Grasshoppah
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts

Posted 20 January 2014 - 08:57 AM

Thank you for the manual and thoughts, guys! 

I have been taking temps with an IR thermometer (set to 0.83 emissivity for plastic).  I see your point about some parts being a lot colder.  Where is a good place to measure in each? I could put a "target" of something on a shelf in the middle, I suppose.

Have to try when I get back from work...

David

#16 -Mike-

-Mike-

Kohai

• Appliantologist
  • PipPipPip
  • 338 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:diet Pepsi

Posted 20 January 2014 - 09:02 AM

I think the best way to get an accurate temperature is to stick a thermometer in the pickle jar and not use the infared things. There is just too much temp variance throughout the refrigerator with them.

#17 DurhamAppliance

DurhamAppliance

Sho' Nuff Chozin

• Grand Master Funk
  • 4,725 posts

Posted 20 January 2014 - 12:46 PM

Now that is incredible, Brother Durham-- how did you cross that kenmore model number over to the correct Frikkidaire manual?

Thank you, thank you, It's nothing honestly....First, I'd like to thank my mom and dad, without whom none of this would be possible. Second... oh oops sorry.

oh it was easy. With Frigidaires it aint the model number that is important. It's the manufacture date and style (sxs, tm, french door etc) 2000 sxs models are covered in the 1999 sxs manual. If people posts manufacture date along with model number for frigidaires or Frigidaire made Kenmores, finding a manual is Easy peasy. Otherwise it is extremely difficult.

Most of the time when retrieving Frigidaire manuals for folks here, It takes longer for me to track down manufacture dates than to find the actual manual. This entails going to Frigidaire's consumer site, downloading the owners manual and hope there is a publication date in it. Then I retrieve a tech manual based on that info. It would be great if techs remember to get the manufacture date from customer and include it in their request for Frigidaires. They'd get the requested manual taco pronto

... now where's my Oscar?

Edited by DurhamAppliance, 20 January 2014 - 01:04 PM.

#18 Samurai Appliance Repair Man

Shōgun

• Master Samurai Tech
  • 29,177 posts

Posted 20 January 2014 - 04:53 PM

... now where's my Oscar?

Well deserved and with the congratulations of the entire Academy...

gallery_4_16_86163.png

#19 Budget Appliance Repair

Budget Appliance Repair

Sensei

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,756 posts

Posted 21 January 2014 - 05:48 AM

Frigidaire used to publish a CSV file that had all model numbers, (Frigidaire and Kenmore), and showed which manual was needed for each model.

I can't find a new version of the look-up table, (the one I have was created on Mar.2007).

Here's a partial sample of the table and the Frigidaire FTP site to find all the owners, installation, wiring diagram and parts list.

The first line is the main FTP site, the last field in the file is "location" which is the file you would open in the main FTP directory to find the listed PDF files.  Unfortunately no service manuals are referenced,

ftp://ftp.electrolux-na.com/ProdInfo_PDF/

"model","owner guide","timer guide","wiring dia","install inst","parts manual","service","operating inst","location"
"61-1093","00000167","none","none","none","none","none","none","augusta/2001SL/007"
"61-1115","00000028","none","none","none","none","none","none","augusta/2001SL/001"
"73-4593","00000026","none","none","none","none","none","none","augusta/2001SL/001"
"790.72112100","316258023en","none","316255203","316259312en","95359204","none","none","Springfield"
"790.72114100","316258023en","none","316255203","316259312en","95359204","none","none","Springfield"

Now, I need to figure out how to include the complete file so if anyone wants it they can get it, (3.8MB so I believe it's going to be too large to attach in any way).

Couldn't find anyway to attach it, (I don't have any free download space and not interested in opening another account at a storage website), so if Samurai would like me to PM it to him maybe he could post it in the file section, (it wouldn't let me upload the CSV file).

Edited by Budget Appliance Repair, 21 January 2014 - 06:18 AM.

William Burk (Willie)
Willie's Budget Appliance Repair
Eureka, CA 95501

#20 DurhamAppliance

DurhamAppliance

Sho' Nuff Chozin

• Grand Master Funk
  • 4,725 posts

Posted 21 January 2014 - 07:47 AM

And it seems like they stopped producing their products and info guide which they use to produce every 6 months. . It listed all the models produced during that period (no Kenmore, however) cross referenced and included all the tech data sheets, wiring diagram and trouble shooting info for each one. Here is the last one they made (coverss Jan 05 to june 05) http://appliantology...echnical-guide/

I guess the b2b site now has that info... but I wonder why no Kenmore info like what Budget describes? That would be one great file to have.

Edited by DurhamAppliance, 21 January 2014 - 08:11 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Use the Appliantology Parts Finder to Get What You Need!
Enter a model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.

Your Sometimes-Lucid Host:
"If I can't help you fix your appliance and make you 100% satisfied, I will come to your home and slice open my belly,
spilling my steaming entrails onto your floor."

The Appliance Guru | Master Samurai Tech

Real Time Analytics