Learn appliance repair at the Samurai Tech Academy.  Learn more.  Earn more.

Parts Search
Site Search

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Welcome to Appliantology.org, the Web's Premiere Appliance Repair Resource!

The world-famous Samurai Appliance Repair Forums

To get started, click here.

Already a member of the Appliantology Academy? Just sign in with your username and password in the upper right-hand corner of the screen.

Photo

Bosch WTMC3300US/01 Not Cycling

bosch not cycling lint filter light no error code

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 coreymccown

coreymccown

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 11 posts

Posted 12 January 2014 - 04:11 PM

Hi All,

I am a new to the forum but hope someone can help! I have a Bosch WTMC3300US/01 Front Loading Dryer. Previous to moving houses, the dryer turned on and ran, but the heating element would not turn on. Upon arriving at our new house, I decided to do some Googling and then tear into the dryer and see if I could get it running. I read online that there is a sensor on the heating element that if it gets overly filled with lint/dust, it would detect essentially a fire hazzard and stop functioning. I started by vacuuming it all out and using compressed air in every nook of the dryer, the inside is now spotless.

I re-assembled the dryer and turned it on, and upon pressing any mode, the door locks (loud click) but then it never begins spinning or anything, it just sits. The time on the LED display shows the correct times, but they do not appear to count down. If you cancel the cycle, the lint filter light blinks. I took this as a sign, and opened the lint filter drawer and vacuumed it out as well, to ensure it was clean. It to, is now very clean. I also reached inside the exhaust vent and vacuumed it out, though not a lot came out.

I am still getting the same problems. I entered the diagnostics menu found in this thread, but I couldn't retreive any error codes. I did get some of the diagnostics menus to work (such as the LED tests), so I know I was doing that part correctly.

I read online about a similar problem, found here ( http://www.justanswer.com/appliance/2oq35-bosch-nexxt-dryer-wtmc3300us-01-lint-light.html ), but I'd much rather take advice from a forum like this. If it does sound like that sensor, could someone direct me to somewhere I could buy it? I searched my model number and found a few parts websites, but I have no clue which is reputable.

Sorry if some of these questions are very basic. I have pretty good knowledge with electronics and wiring, but I have never done any dryer-related repairs. I am confident, however, that I can replace components, etc, in a dryer.

Thanks in advanced!

Use the Appliantology Parts Search Box to Find What You Need!
Enter your model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

#2 coreymccown

coreymccown

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 11 posts

Posted 12 January 2014 - 04:55 PM

Thought I should add, the belt is secured and tight and in good condition.

#3 Samurai Appliance Repair Man

Samurai Appliance Repair Man

Shōgun

• Master Samurai Tech
  • 29,806 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Sapporo Original Draft Rice Lager

Posted 12 January 2014 - 05:50 PM

Have you verified that you have a valid 240/120vac power supply at the outlet?  The motor runs off 120vac but the heating element needs 240vac.  

When you get into diagnostic mode, are you able to run the consumer test?  This one runs the motor and fires the heating element.  If the element doesn't fire up and you have a good power supply, then most likely either the element is bad or one of its controls.  

#4 coreymccown

coreymccown

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 11 posts

Posted 12 January 2014 - 06:09 PM

Have you verified that you have a valid 240/120vac power supply at the outlet?  The motor runs off 120vac but the heating element needs 240vac.  

When you get into diagnostic mode, are you able to run the consumer test?  This one runs the motor and fires the heating element.  If the element doesn't fire up and you have a good power supply, then most likely either the element is bad or one of its controls.  

I do have a 240vac power supply, just verified. I will try the consumer test.

#5 coreymccown

coreymccown

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 11 posts

Posted 12 January 2014 - 06:30 PM

I just powered-off and retried the diagnostics, I am now getting error codes E:17 and C:03.

E:17 is "E:17 NTC error (NTC R3 @ lint screen). Check NTC R3 & wire harness. Replace faulty part. Typically shorted or opened wire harness. Dryer stops & can't be restarted."

Any ideas to resolve?

#6 Samurai Appliance Repair Man

Shōgun

• Master Samurai Tech
  • 29,806 posts

Posted 12 January 2014 - 06:37 PM

Sounds like you have the manual.  Do check the NTC in accordance with the manual.  

Also, those lint filters can look clean but really be blocked up because they are so fine.  You may actually have a lint filter problem that's not obvious.  

#7 coreymccown

coreymccown

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 11 posts

Posted 12 January 2014 - 06:41 PM

Sounds like you have the manual.  Do check the NTC in accordance with the manual.  

Also, those lint filters can look clean but really be blocked up because they are so fine.  You may actually have a lint filter problem that's not obvious.  

I actually don't have the manual, I found that information here. Could you please expand on checking the NTC?

#8 sh2sh2

sh2sh2

Senpai

• Sublime Master of Appliantology
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 693 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:yeunling

Posted 12 January 2014 - 09:35 PM

there is a switch at the belt that can sometimes trip when the dryers are jostled around, has to be manually reset.

#9 coreymccown

coreymccown

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 11 posts

Posted 13 January 2014 - 06:38 PM

I believe with the error code I got that I just need to replace that sensor. I am going to order one and give it a shot. Before I do so, is there any way to bypass the current one? I took a look at it, and there are only 2 wires, so I'd imagine they either need to be grounded or completed for it to work? Unless there is something more complicated in the sensor.

#10 Samurai Appliance Repair Man

Shōgun

• Master Samurai Tech
  • 29,806 posts

Posted 13 January 2014 - 06:51 PM

NTC stands for "Negative temperature coefficient"  tThis means the NTC sensor changes ints resistance in reverse proportion ot the temperature: as temperature increases, its resistance decreases.  The control board then reads this and makes decisions about how to operate the dryer.  

Bottom line:  Jumping out the NTC is not a valid test.  You have to measure its resistance at known and measured temperatures and compare with the data tables.  

#11 coreymccown

coreymccown

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 11 posts

Posted 13 January 2014 - 06:55 PM

NTC stands for "Negative temperature coefficient"  tThis means the NTC sensor changes ints resistance in reverse proportion ot the temperature: as temperature increases, its resistance decreases.  The control board then reads this and makes decisions about how to operate the dryer.  

Bottom line:  Jumping out the NTC is not a valid test.  You have to measure its resistance at known and measured temperatures and compare with the data tables.  

Okay, I understand. Does the NTC look like this? This is the sensor that I found on my machine, but I could be completely wrong. If this is the sensor, it's an easy replacement and reasonable.

http://www.repaircli...00154166/418755

#12 coreymccown

coreymccown

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 11 posts

Posted 17 January 2014 - 06:15 PM

Replaced the NTC, still flagging the same error message. Any other ideas? I have the lint filter soaking and scrubbed it with dish soap and a toothbrush, it's spotless now. Going to try that once it dries.

#13 coreymccown

coreymccown

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 11 posts

Posted 17 January 2014 - 06:33 PM

Sorry for the double posts. I plan on buying the membership soon, but until then I cannot edit my posts. I ran the consumer test the whole way and it ran, but the barrel did not spin. Now, the error message is saying E:17 C:01, which is different C:03.

#14 coreymccown

coreymccown

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 11 posts

Posted 17 January 2014 - 06:37 PM

And like that, a third post to be made. I just turned it on and decided to just try putting it on a cycle. It counts down time, but never spun, however, now when I go to the diagnostics menu, it has no error codes. I may have to resort to just calling a technician, but I'd much rather do it myself... any other ideas?
 Please and thank you!

#15 coreymccown

coreymccown

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 11 posts

Posted 17 January 2014 - 08:23 PM

there is a switch at the belt that can sometimes trip when the dryers are jostled around, has to be manually reset.

I reset that, and then when I put it back together, I didn't reset it again! When you remove the belt, it sets this switch to off. So when I put it back on, I had to manually reset it again. Works like a charm now with the new NTC and switch reset. just ran a test load with just a couple articles of clothing and it warmed up perfectly and everything. Went back to diagnostics and ran it one more time with no codes. Thanks for the help everyone!

#16 Samurai Appliance Repair Man

Shōgun

• Master Samurai Tech
  • 29,806 posts

Posted 17 January 2014 - 08:25 PM

Good work!   :thumbsup:

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: bosch, not cycling, lint filter light, no error code

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Use the Appliantology Parts Finder to Get What You Need!
Enter a model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

Your Sometimes-Lucid Host:
"If I can't help you fix your appliance and make you 100% satisfied, I will come to your home and slice open my belly,
spilling my steaming entrails onto your floor."

The Appliance Guru | Master Samurai Tech

Real Time Analytics