Learn appliance repair at the Samurai Tech Academy.  Learn more.  Earn more.

Parts Search
Site Search

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Welcome to Appliantology.org, the Web's Premiere Appliance Repair Resource!

The world-famous Samurai Appliance Repair Forums

To get started, click here.

Already a member of the Appliantology Academy? Just sign in with your username and password in the upper right-hand corner of the screen.

Photo

Kitchenaid Refrigerator

• Please log in to reply
26 replies to this topic

#21 Sunlight Appliance

Sunlight Appliance

Sōhei

• Grasshoppah
  • PipPipPip
  • 209 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:RAW MILK. Yes, you sissies, I really drink it.

Posted 15 January 2014 - 02:32 AM

Have you checked the return vent right above the crisper drawer? If it has ice buildup, warm fridge air can't get to the freezer to be re-chilled AND new cold air from the freezer won't be able to enter the fridge through the damper at the top.

You could do the 2 checks in the video that the Samurai demonstrated, but, I would make sure your damper is open AND your return vent above the crisper drawer is clear before following the video.

STOP building government and START building business. :miner:

Use the Appliantology Parts Search Box to Find What You Need!
Enter your model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

#22 Sunlight Appliance

Sunlight Appliance

Sōhei

• Grasshoppah
  • PipPipPip
  • 209 posts

Posted 15 January 2014 - 02:37 AM

This is starting to sound like an intermittent start relay. I have seen them work intermittently, believe it or not, and cause this problem.

Definately though, check your return vent above the crisper drawer before getting into this other stuff.

#23 batfried

batfried

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 12 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:h2o

Posted 15 January 2014 - 03:12 AM

From what I can see the return vent looks clear.Where is the other end of the vent go? The start relay is new. As of today the freezer is -10 and the refer is at 34.So everythings good for now.What got me thinking about the defrost board is that it can burn out the start relay. Might be worth it just to avoid the possibility of burning out of the new relay.Could I check for 12v coming off the board on this model Kitchenaid? KSRG22fkwh04   

#24 Sunlight Appliance

Sunlight Appliance

Sōhei

• Grasshoppah
  • PipPipPip
  • 209 posts

Posted 15 January 2014 - 04:25 AM

From what I can see the return vent looks clear.Where is the other end of the vent go? 

Someone else needs to answer this.

The start relay is new. 

When you replaced it, were the terminals on the compressor corroded or covered in burnt plastic or, otherwise, prevented from making good contact with the new relay?

As of today the freezer is -10 and the refer is at 34.So everythings good for now.

Perfect

What got me thinking about the defrost board is that it can burn out the start relay. Might be worth it just to avoid the possibility of burning out of the new relay.

Not sure. Durham!

Could I check for 12v coming off the board on this model Kitchenaid? KSRG22fkwh04   

120v. Yes.

#25 DurhamAppliance

DurhamAppliance

Sho' Nuff Chozin

• Grand Master Funk
  • 5,079 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Bells Two Hearted

Posted 15 January 2014 - 09:10 AM

The adc board will not burn out a relay.   intermittent relay is a possibility  :

If the evap fan is running but no cooling,  I would look to the compressor/relay

If nothing is runs when the temps spike,  I would look at the cold control and ADC board. Both are problematic in this model

If your heater was in fact running while cooling... definitely the ADC board 

but with current temps of -10 and 34 WITH CONTROLS SET TO THE MIDDLE LOCATION, sounds like an intermittent cold control.  If the temps continue to drop,  definitely a cold control problem. 

Edited by DurhamAppliance, 15 January 2014 - 09:10 AM.

Durham Appliance Thrift & Repair, LLC

www.DurhamApplianceThrift.com

#26 Samurai Appliance Repair Man

Samurai Appliance Repair Man

Shōgun

• Master Samurai Tech
  • 29,807 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Sapporo Original Draft Rice Lager

Posted 15 January 2014 - 09:54 AM

This is a situation of what we professional appliantologists call, "diagnostic ambiguity" which arises from troubleshooting complicated systems with insufficient technical guidance from the manufacturers.    Many times, a sharp tech on the scene can ferret out the problem using all his senses (smell, hearing, etc.) and logic.  This is the disadvantage in troubleshooting elusive problems through a forum.  

In these cases, where it is seemingly not possible to identify the specific bad component, you, as a DIYer, would go ahead and replace all components involved in the problem.  Since you have already replaced the compressor relay, the remaining parts to replace are:  

Cold Control: http://www.repaircli...2315562/1175562

and the ADC board:  http://www.repaircli...0366604/2210004

Both come with a 365-day, no-hassle Return Policy:  http://www.repaircli...r/Return-Policy

And be sure to check for loose wire connections on the compressor relay-- I've found that before as you saw in the video you watched, commented on, and linked to in this topic:

#27 richseattle56

richseattle56

Kohai

• Chief Appliantologist
  • PipPipPip
  • 390 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Coors Light or Vodka

Posted 20 January 2014 - 10:03 PM

I have seen a few of these slide cold controls go out. See if the evap fan goes off when you turn both controls to the left. If not you have a bad cold control.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Use the Appliantology Parts Finder to Get What You Need!
Enter a model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

Your Sometimes-Lucid Host:
Samurai Appliance Repair Man
"If I can't help you fix your appliance and make you 100% satisfied, I will come to your home and slice open my belly,
spilling my steaming entrails onto your floor."

The Appliance Guru | Master Samurai Tech

Real Time Analytics