Need appliance parts? Call 877-803-7957 now or use the parts search box:

Parts Search

Learn appliance repair at online the Master Samurai Tech Academy.  Learn more.  Earn more.

FAQs | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Podcast | Contact

jephil0

Bosch shx4ap06uc dishwasher starts, runs for 5 min, then says clean

29 posts in this topic

This dishwasher has driven me crazy since we got it.  Every so often it does this.  Basically, when you start the cycle (any cycle--doesn't matter), it will first pump out any water in the bottom, then it sounds as if it pumps in water, works for about five minutes (maybe less) then stops and says that the cycle is finished and the dishes are clean.  Usually there is water in the bottom when it does this.  You can run it empty and it will do the same thing.

I have been able to get it to stop doing this and start working again before, but without any rhyme or reason as to how or why.  In the past, we have pulled the screen and checked it for blockages on the drain, pulled it out, unplugged it, plugged it back in, etc.  Eventually the thing started working again, but we had done all of these things multiple times, and we don't really know why it chose to work.

Potential guesses would be something to do with the float or something to do with the control board.  I have fixed a dishwasher before, but am FAR from handy or knowledgable on the subject. 

Thanks for any help you can give me!

Jonathan

Need appliance parts? Call 877-803-7957 now!

Ah, the infamous Bosch Placenta dishwasher model.

Did you ever see any error codes (E and number) appear in the display?  

When you heard the sound of water "pump" into the dishwasher, did you open the door to make sure there was actually water in the basin?  

There is a self test routine you can do that's explain in the service manual:  http://appliantology.org/files/file/637-bosch-ascenta-dishwasher-repair-instruction-manual/

You'll need to upgrade your membership to download it:  http://apprentice.appliantology.org/

Re: Error codes--Nope, or not this time, anyway.  My wife got the kind with the hidden controls, so instead of having a meaningful display one gets to interpret flashing lights, etc.  None the less, for this most recent bout of choosing not to work, it lights the Clean indicator and that's it.

Re: Water--Yes, there is water.  There is water in the basin when it stops and says clean.  When I start the cycle again, it pumps the water out, then begins the cycle.  It sounds like it pulls water in, and I can hear it spraying.  It does that for a very short time, then says clean.

I'm at work at the moment (don't tell!) but I will see about upgrading my membership when I get home.

Thanks!

Jonathan

Ypu may have more than one problem.

A bad drain pump and also a bad heater.

Heater *maybe*, but the pump is fine.  Interrupting the cycle, (for the brief time that it runs) results in it either being full of water (after it sounds like it pulls water in), or being empty, if I open it right at the beginning when it sounds like it is pumping the water out. 

Why would a bad heater cause it to end the cycle early and say clean?

J.

Heater *maybe*, but the pump is fine.  Interrupting the cycle, (for the brief time that it runs) results in it either being full of water (after it sounds like it pulls water in), or being empty, if I open it right at the beginning when it sounds like it is pumping the water out. 

Why would a bad heater cause it to end the cycle early and say clean?

J.

Incidentally, the tone of this should be like you'd imagine a little kid who has no idea what he's talking about, not a teenager who has no idea what he's talking about but thinks he knows everything!  I've worried that it came off snotty since I wrote it!

Anyway, reading the repair manual, I see now what you mean.  

Thanks for your input, and I will keep you posted as to what I discover.

Thanks!

Jonathan

I do love proving that I have no idea what I'm talking about! :)

Ran diagnostics per the manual.  Active and Clean lights were both flashing, indicating a problem with the drain pump.  I also discovered that mine was not wired up to code (i.e. power line is stretched as far as it goes, as opposed to being six feet long, etc.), so I guess I'm going to have to take care of that too.

Replace the drain pump?  Any other suggestions?  

Jonathan

Take the drain hose off of the drain pump and blow through it to make sure that it's clear and not blocked. If the drain hose checks out good, then go with the obvious and replace the drain pump Part number: AP4339596

Part number: AP4339596

It's sad how long it has taken me to find time to work on this dishwasher!  I checked the hoses out last night--hopefully I will have time to get the dishwasher hooked back up to the power and test it again this evening. 

The internal drain hose was kind of gunky, but wasn't totally clogged or anything.  I expect I will find the problem persists, and I will need to order the part, but I'm crossing my fingers!

Jonathan

So, I took the hoses off, blew through them, and the internal one seemed somewhat gross.  Put them back on, and gave it a test run.  It sounded fine, but apparently the drain pump is running continuously (I am guessing from the manual), because there is no water.  You can hear water, and the holes of the spray arm are just barely wet, but the dishes and the walls of the washer are bone dry.

EDIT: I was having trouble with the diagnostics this go around, but got them sorted out.  Current codes show no errors.  

Now what?

Jonathan

Edited by jephil0

the drain pump is running continuously

Are you sure about this? You need to verify whether or not the drain pump is running continuously. If it is, the float switch maybe stuck in the raised position.

Well, you know, I don't know how to be sure.  The thing sounds like it's working.  It sounds like water is moving through it, but that does not seem to be the case.  Per the internet's advice, I tried manually filling.  It did seem to run the cycle then--wet door, wet stuff in the top rack, etc.  It also sounded more "splashy," and I could feel that the door was warm.  However, that does not seem to have worked a second time (when I was actually trying to get some dishes washed as opposed to just fix the dishwasher).  

I hate to be so inconsistent with my problem, but I swear it gives me a different error code every time.  First was the drain pump error, then after checking the lines and trying to run it, I had no water but it gave the code for no errors.

This most recent time (5 minutes ago), it gave me a "not heating" error.  

It's very confusing, as it WAS getting water before when it would just start and then immediately say clean (bottom was full of water).  Now, it will run a whole cycle, but there's no water.  Just to recap the thread:

Original problem--dishwasher runs for a very short time, then says clean.

I checked the drain hoses, both internal and external.

New problem--whole cycle runs now, but apparently without water.  Error codes indicate no errors.

Filled the bottom manually, the cycle ran, and water was apparently sprayed, as top rack was wet.

Tried this again, but it did not work.

Current status--cycle runs, but with no water.  Error codes indicate a heating error.

Any ideas?

Jonathan

And we're back to the very short cycle then going to clean with error lights indicating drain pump.  I guess I will order the part.  What do you think about the other stuff it's been doing?  Is that the control board?

Well, you know, I don't know how to be sure.  

You would remove the bottom toe panel on the dishwasher and check to see if the drain pump is getting 120 V AC using either your meter or a voltage sensing light stick.

The wash motor on these can also cause the drain pump error. It means either one but the manual only says it's a drain pump error, I was told this by a BSH engineer. They say they are going to reprint the manuals or at least make a service pointer on it, but I've know about for a year now and still not seen any notices. I think the Germans must have a problem admitting mistakes. I've seen the wash motor cause this and wash one has a slight squeal to it when it started.

1 person likes this

I will check it with the multimeter as soon as I can (sadly, between kids' activities and overtime, probably Thursday night).  I am hoping to fix the power situation then too (I am going to have to put in a box, splice the Romex, etc., to get the electrical wiring as long as it is supposed to be).  Then at least I will be able to work on it while I have it pulled out from the cabinet!

A broken impeller will cause this problem;>  Just did 2 last week. These are a pain to work on good luck!

The wash motor on these can also cause the drain pump error. It means either one but the manual only says it's a drain pump error, I was told this by a BSH engineer. They say they are going to reprint the manuals or at least make a service pointer on it, but I've know about for a year now and still not seen any notices. I think the Germans must have a problem admitting mistakes. I've seen the wash motor cause this and wash one has a slight squeal to it when it started.

What is the part number for that? I'm having trouble finding it.

Thanks!

J.

Washer motor Part number: AP4359216

Part number: AP4359216

Edited by Samurai Appliance Repair Man
Affiliated part link using the APP button in the edit window.

Thanks.  Is this the pump described as the heat pump in the repair manual? 

J.

Bosch makes pretty tough drain pumps.  I've replaced one in my whole time and I probably didn't need to do that one.  Put a good amount of water in the dishwasher, get a pail, disconnect your drain hose from the disposal, and hit cancel-drain.  If you have a good a solid stream of water, the pump is fine.  If you have a pulsing flow or a trickle, you might have a drain pump issue, or more probably a blocked hose.  

The heater and the wash pump are integrated together.  This is a tough replacement. You have to completely dismount the dishwasher, put it on its back, take the bottom off and get to the main motor that way.  There is a LOT of stuff you can break doing this. Because I do those so rarely, I budget 3 hours for this job.  (Waiting for Samurai and Durham to blow raspberries at me for taking so long.)

This model Bosch dishwasher is different. The ones I've worked on have no bottom and a different design drain pump.

Finally had time to work on this again.  I installed a blue old work box and extended the power cord by about 6 feet.  For grins, I tried running it while it was pulled out of the cabinet.  I ran it the first time without the baskets and it worked.  Seemed very "splashy" and the roof of the tub was wet.  So, water went into it and was sprayed.  Running it now with dishes.  Sounds like it's working, but I will know for sure in a few minutes.

Thanks for your help so far!

Jonathan

EDIT: Finished the cycle.  My wife uses Cascade Action Pacs Sachets...little pouch things, basically, instead of liquid detergent.  The pouch was hung in the top rack and not dissolved (i.e. not wet), although the lower dishes were wet.  I started the cycle again and interrupted it a couple of times.  It appears that the bottom spray arm is spraying, but not the top sprayer.  

Current error code indicates no error.

Now we're getting somewhere?  What would cause the top not to spray, and how do I fix it?

Edited by jephil0

Some of the higher end dishwashers have a diverter valve that shifts water between the washarms. 

But by far the most common reason the top arm doesn't spray is an insufficient water charge. Here in the hard-water heartland, a Bosch d/w inlet valve will last,at most, 5 to 7 years.  After that point, it's too calcified to let in a proper charge. 

Yes.