Use this Search Box to Find Appliance Repair Help Now
Need help finding your model number?
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Boot Camp | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Welcome to Appliantology.org, the Web's Premiere Appliance Repair Resource for DIYers!

The world-famous Samurai Appliance Repair Forums

You can post a question and get repair help for FREE! Click here to get started.

Already a member of the Appliantology Academy? Just sign in with your username and password in the upper right-hand corner of the screen.

Photo

Bosch shx4ap06uc dishwasher starts, runs for 5 min, then says clean

• Please log in to reply
28 replies to this topic

#1 jephil0

jephil0

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 17 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Miller High Life

Posted 13 January 2014 - 09:21 PM

This dishwasher has driven me crazy since we got it.  Every so often it does this.  Basically, when you start the cycle (any cycle--doesn't matter), it will first pump out any water in the bottom, then it sounds as if it pumps in water, works for about five minutes (maybe less) then stops and says that the cycle is finished and the dishes are clean.  Usually there is water in the bottom when it does this.  You can run it empty and it will do the same thing.

I have been able to get it to stop doing this and start working again before, but without any rhyme or reason as to how or why.  In the past, we have pulled the screen and checked it for blockages on the drain, pulled it out, unplugged it, plugged it back in, etc.  Eventually the thing started working again, but we had done all of these things multiple times, and we don't really know why it chose to work.

Potential guesses would be something to do with the float or something to do with the control board.  I have fixed a dishwasher before, but am FAR from handy or knowledgable on the subject. 

Thanks for any help you can give me!

Jonathan

Use the Appliantology Parts Search Box to Find What You Need!
Enter your model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

#2 Samurai Appliance Repair Man

Samurai Appliance Repair Man

Shōgun

• Fermented Grand Master
  • 28,699 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Sapporo Original Draft Rice Lager

Posted 14 January 2014 - 08:50 AM

Ah, the infamous Bosch Placenta dishwasher model.

Did you ever see any error codes (E and number) appear in the display?  

When you heard the sound of water "pump" into the dishwasher, did you open the door to make sure there was actually water in the basin?  

There is a self test routine you can do that's explain in the service manual:  http://appliantology...ruction-manual/

You'll need to upgrade your membership to download it:  http://apprentice.appliantology.org/

#3 jephil0

jephil0

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 17 posts

Posted 14 January 2014 - 09:57 AM

Re: Error codes--Nope, or not this time, anyway.  My wife got the kind with the hidden controls, so instead of having a meaningful display one gets to interpret flashing lights, etc.  None the less, for this most recent bout of choosing not to work, it lights the Clean indicator and that's it.

Re: Water--Yes, there is water.  There is water in the basin when it stops and says clean.  When I start the cycle again, it pumps the water out, then begins the cycle.  It sounds like it pulls water in, and I can hear it spraying.  It does that for a very short time, then says clean.

I'm at work at the moment (don't tell!) but I will see about upgrading my membership when I get home.

Thanks!

Jonathan

#4 jumptrout

jumptrout

Sensei

• Academy Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,375 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Coors Light

Posted 14 January 2014 - 05:59 PM

Ypu may have more than one problem.

A bad drain pump and also a bad heater.

#5 jephil0

jephil0

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 17 posts

Posted 23 January 2014 - 08:30 PM

Heater *maybe*, but the pump is fine.  Interrupting the cycle, (for the brief time that it runs) results in it either being full of water (after it sounds like it pulls water in), or being empty, if I open it right at the beginning when it sounds like it is pumping the water out. 

Why would a bad heater cause it to end the cycle early and say clean?

J.

#6 jephil0

jephil0

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 17 posts

Posted 25 January 2014 - 06:56 PM

Heater *maybe*, but the pump is fine.  Interrupting the cycle, (for the brief time that it runs) results in it either being full of water (after it sounds like it pulls water in), or being empty, if I open it right at the beginning when it sounds like it is pumping the water out. 

Why would a bad heater cause it to end the cycle early and say clean?

J.

Incidentally, the tone of this should be like you'd imagine a little kid who has no idea what he's talking about, not a teenager who has no idea what he's talking about but thinks he knows everything!  I've worried that it came off snotty since I wrote it!

Anyway, reading the repair manual, I see now what you mean.  

Thanks for your input, and I will keep you posted as to what I discover.

Thanks!

Jonathan

#7 jephil0

jephil0

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 17 posts

Posted 01 February 2014 - 06:28 PM

I do love proving that I have no idea what I'm talking about! :)

Ran diagnostics per the manual.  Active and Clean lights were both flashing, indicating a problem with the drain pump.  I also discovered that mine was not wired up to code (i.e. power line is stretched as far as it goes, as opposed to being six feet long, etc.), so I guess I'm going to have to take care of that too.

Replace the drain pump?  Any other suggestions?  

Jonathan

#8 Samurai Appliance Repair Man

Shōgun

• Fermented Grand Master
  • 28,699 posts

Posted 01 February 2014 - 06:48 PM

Take the drain hose off of the drain pump and blow through it to make sure that it's clear and not blocked. If the drain hose checks out good, then go with the obvious and replace the drain pump Part number: AP4339596

Part number: AP4339596

#9 jephil0

jephil0

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 17 posts

Posted 07 February 2014 - 08:46 AM

It's sad how long it has taken me to find time to work on this dishwasher!  I checked the hoses out last night--hopefully I will have time to get the dishwasher hooked back up to the power and test it again this evening. 

The internal drain hose was kind of gunky, but wasn't totally clogged or anything.  I expect I will find the problem persists, and I will need to order the part, but I'm crossing my fingers!

Jonathan

#10 jephil0

jephil0

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 17 posts

Posted 08 February 2014 - 06:40 PM

So, I took the hoses off, blew through them, and the internal one seemed somewhat gross.  Put them back on, and gave it a test run.  It sounded fine, but apparently the drain pump is running continuously (I am guessing from the manual), because there is no water.  You can hear water, and the holes of the spray arm are just barely wet, but the dishes and the walls of the washer are bone dry.

EDIT: I was having trouble with the diagnostics this go around, but got them sorted out.  Current codes show no errors.  

Now what?

Jonathan

Edited by jephil0, 08 February 2014 - 07:03 PM.

#11 Samurai Appliance Repair Man

Shōgun

• Fermented Grand Master
  • 28,699 posts

Posted 08 February 2014 - 08:45 PM

the drain pump is running continuously

Are you sure about this? You need to verify whether or not the drain pump is running continuously. If it is, the float switch maybe stuck in the raised position.

#12 jephil0

jephil0

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 17 posts

Posted 08 February 2014 - 10:32 PM

Well, you know, I don't know how to be sure.  The thing sounds like it's working.  It sounds like water is moving through it, but that does not seem to be the case.  Per the internet's advice, I tried manually filling.  It did seem to run the cycle then--wet door, wet stuff in the top rack, etc.  It also sounded more "splashy," and I could feel that the door was warm.  However, that does not seem to have worked a second time (when I was actually trying to get some dishes washed as opposed to just fix the dishwasher).  

I hate to be so inconsistent with my problem, but I swear it gives me a different error code every time.  First was the drain pump error, then after checking the lines and trying to run it, I had no water but it gave the code for no errors.

This most recent time (5 minutes ago), it gave me a "not heating" error.  

It's very confusing, as it WAS getting water before when it would just start and then immediately say clean (bottom was full of water).  Now, it will run a whole cycle, but there's no water.  Just to recap the thread:

Original problem--dishwasher runs for a very short time, then says clean.

I checked the drain hoses, both internal and external.

New problem--whole cycle runs now, but apparently without water.  Error codes indicate no errors.

Filled the bottom manually, the cycle ran, and water was apparently sprayed, as top rack was wet.

Tried this again, but it did not work.

Current status--cycle runs, but with no water.  Error codes indicate a heating error.

Any ideas?

Jonathan

#13 jephil0

jephil0

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 17 posts

Posted 09 February 2014 - 12:43 PM

And we're back to the very short cycle then going to clean with error lights indicating drain pump.  I guess I will order the part.  What do you think about the other stuff it's been doing?  Is that the control board?

#14 Samurai Appliance Repair Man

Shōgun

• Fermented Grand Master
  • 28,699 posts

Posted 09 February 2014 - 12:47 PM

Well, you know, I don't know how to be sure.  

You would remove the bottom toe panel on the dishwasher and check to see if the drain pump is getting 120 V AC using either your meter or a voltage sensing light stick.

#15 Spannerwrench

Spannerwrench

Senpai

• Chief Master Appliantologist
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 610 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Maxwell House > Black Crown > Crown Royal with Ginger Ale

Posted 09 February 2014 - 05:54 PM

The wash motor on these can also cause the drain pump error. It means either one but the manual only says it's a drain pump error, I was told this by a BSH engineer. They say they are going to reprint the manuals or at least make a service pointer on it, but I've know about for a year now and still not seen any notices. I think the Germans must have a problem admitting mistakes. I've seen the wash motor cause this and wash one has a slight squeal to it when it started.
"Suds are not good"
"They write directions for a reason"
"Make sure you're using it right before you say it's not working correctly"
"If if has a Diagnostic Test Cycle, Run it before and after you fix it!"
"Doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results is insane"
"For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong."

#16 jephil0

jephil0

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 17 posts

Posted 11 February 2014 - 11:07 AM

I will check it with the multimeter as soon as I can (sadly, between kids' activities and overtime, probably Thursday night).  I am hoping to fix the power situation then too (I am going to have to put in a box, splice the Romex, etc., to get the electrical wiring as long as it is supposed to be).  Then at least I will be able to work on it while I have it pulled out from the cabinet!

#17 KCTBURY

KCTBURY

Sōhei

• Chief Appliantologist
  • PipPipPip
  • 100 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Coke

Posted 11 February 2014 - 01:30 PM

A broken impeller will cause this problem;>  Just did 2 last week. These are a pain to work on good luck!

#18 jephil0

jephil0

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 17 posts

Posted 19 February 2014 - 10:06 AM

The wash motor on these can also cause the drain pump error. It means either one but the manual only says it's a drain pump error, I was told this by a BSH engineer. They say they are going to reprint the manuals or at least make a service pointer on it, but I've know about for a year now and still not seen any notices. I think the Germans must have a problem admitting mistakes. I've seen the wash motor cause this and wash one has a slight squeal to it when it started.

What is the part number for that? I'm having trouble finding it.

Thanks!

J.

#19 Spannerwrench

Spannerwrench

Senpai

• Chief Master Appliantologist
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 610 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Maxwell House > Black Crown > Crown Royal with Ginger Ale

Posted 19 February 2014 - 10:15 AM

Washer motor Part number: AP4359216

Part number: AP4359216

Edited by Samurai Appliance Repair Man, 19 February 2014 - 10:17 AM.
Affiliated part link using the APP button in the edit window.

"Suds are not good"
"They write directions for a reason"
"Make sure you're using it right before you say it's not working correctly"
"If if has a Diagnostic Test Cycle, Run it before and after you fix it!"
"Doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results is insane"
"For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong."

#20 jephil0

jephil0

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 17 posts

Posted 19 February 2014 - 02:23 PM

Thanks.  Is this the pump described as the heat pump in the repair manual? 

J.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Boot Camp | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Use the Appliantology Parts Finder to Get What You Need!
Enter a model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.

Your Sometimes-Lucid Host:
"If I can't help you fix your appliance and make you 100% satisfied, I will come to your home and slice open my belly,
spilling my steaming entrails onto your floor."

The Appliance Guru | AppliancePartsResource.com | Samurai's Blog

Real Time Analytics