Need appliance parts? Call 877-803-7957 now or use the parts search box:

Parts Search

Learn appliance repair at online the Master Samurai Tech Academy.  Learn more.  Earn more.

FAQs | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Podcast | Contact

srjacob

Bosch Washer WAS20160UC drain problem

4 posts in this topic

I have a strange problem with a Bosch Axxis washing machine model WAS20160UC.

The machine will work fine for a while, then stop with an F18 error.  I can't find the error in the service manual or training presentation, but I found it with a Google search.  What is happening is that when the drain pump stops pumping for about 20 seconds with water still in the tub, an F18 error occurs.  I did a manual drain, and opened up the drain pump impeller housing (there is a screw-on cap).  The impeller is clear, and the shaft turns freely.  I then put the maching on drain, and press start, and the drain solenoid clicks open, but the pump doesn't turn.  I do this a couple more times, and the impeller starts turning.  I then put everything back together, and it will run for several loads, then quits with the F18 error.  I haven't taken apart the machine to test the pump windings, but the windings on these things are reasonably heavy, and I would be supprised to have an intermittent broken winding.

I would have suspected a bad bearing in the pump, but the shaft turns fine.  When I turn the impeller, I can feel a magnetic pull ever 1/2 turn or so, so I suspect this pump has a magnetic rotor (Bosch uses the same arrangement in their dishwashers.

Anybody got a clue as to what is going on?  Is this a common problem with these machines?

Thanks in advance.

Steve

Edited by srjacob

Need appliance parts? Call 877-803-7957 now!

How are you reading an F18 error code on a WAS2160 which doesn't have an alpha numeric display, just LEDs?

The F18 shows up right on the led panel where the numbers normally are.  Big as life.  The machine stops, and the F18 displays.

I then put the maching on drain, and press start, and the drain solenoid clicks open, but the pump doesn't turn. 

Use your meter to see if the pump is actually getting voltage when you do this.  If so, then replace the pump-- has dead spot in it or is failing under load.  

Drain pump part link:  http://www.repairclinic.com/PartDetail/Drain-Pump/00144977/1558042

Comes with a 365-day, no-hassle Return Policy:  http://www.repairclinic.com/Layer/Return-Policy