Learn appliance repair at the Samurai Tech Academy.  Learn more.  Earn more.

Parts Search
Site Search

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Welcome to Appliantology.org, the Web's Premiere Appliance Repair Resource!

The world-famous Samurai Appliance Repair Forums

To get started, click here.

Already a member of the Appliantology Academy? Just sign in with your username and password in the upper right-hand corner of the screen.

Photo

Bosch Washer WAS20160UC drain problem

Bosch drain pump

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 srjacob

srjacob

Ikkō-ikki

• Chief Appliantologist
  • PipPip
  • 28 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Maes Pils

Posted 14 January 2014 - 03:41 PM

I have a strange problem with a Bosch Axxis washing machine model WAS20160UC.

The machine will work fine for a while, then stop with an F18 error.  I can't find the error in the service manual or training presentation, but I found it with a Google search.  What is happening is that when the drain pump stops pumping for about 20 seconds with water still in the tub, an F18 error occurs.  I did a manual drain, and opened up the drain pump impeller housing (there is a screw-on cap).  The impeller is clear, and the shaft turns freely.  I then put the maching on drain, and press start, and the drain solenoid clicks open, but the pump doesn't turn.  I do this a couple more times, and the impeller starts turning.  I then put everything back together, and it will run for several loads, then quits with the F18 error.  I haven't taken apart the machine to test the pump windings, but the windings on these things are reasonably heavy, and I would be supprised to have an intermittent broken winding.

I would have suspected a bad bearing in the pump, but the shaft turns fine.  When I turn the impeller, I can feel a magnetic pull ever 1/2 turn or so, so I suspect this pump has a magnetic rotor (Bosch uses the same arrangement in their dishwashers.

Anybody got a clue as to what is going on?  Is this a common problem with these machines?

Thanks in advance.

Steve

Edited by srjacob, 14 January 2014 - 03:41 PM.

Use the Appliantology Parts Search Box to Find What You Need!
Enter your model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

#2 Samurai Appliance Repair Man

Samurai Appliance Repair Man

Shōgun

• Master Samurai Tech
  • 29,841 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Sapporo Original Draft Rice Lager

Posted 14 January 2014 - 07:52 PM

How are you reading an F18 error code on a WAS2160 which doesn't have an alpha numeric display, just LEDs?

#3 srjacob

srjacob

Ikkō-ikki

• Chief Appliantologist
  • PipPip
  • 28 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Maes Pils

Posted 14 January 2014 - 09:51 PM

The F18 shows up right on the led panel where the numbers normally are.  Big as life.  The machine stops, and the F18 displays.

#4 Samurai Appliance Repair Man

Shōgun

• Master Samurai Tech
  • 29,841 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Sapporo Original Draft Rice Lager

Posted 14 January 2014 - 10:47 PM

I then put the maching on drain, and press start, and the drain solenoid clicks open, but the pump doesn't turn. 

Use your meter to see if the pump is actually getting voltage when you do this.  If so, then replace the pump-- has dead spot in it or is failing under load.  

Drain pump part link:  http://www.repaircli...0144977/1558042

Comes with a 365-day, no-hassle Return Policy:  http://www.repaircli...r/Return-Policy

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Bosch, drain pump

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Use the Appliantology Parts Finder to Get What You Need!
Enter a model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

Your Sometimes-Lucid Host:
"If I can't help you fix your appliance and make you 100% satisfied, I will come to your home and slice open my belly,
spilling my steaming entrails onto your floor."

The Appliance Guru | Master Samurai Tech

Real Time Analytics