Need appliance parts? Call 877-803-7957 now or use the parts search box:

Parts Search

Learn appliance repair at online the Master Samurai Tech Academy.  Learn more.  Earn more.

FAQs | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Podcast | Contact

kmecham

Whirlpool WFWFW9200SQ02 squeak/grind/knock during wash, quiet during spin

6 posts in this topic

My WFW9200SQ02 has been making noise during the wash cycle for 6 mo, and its starting to get bad enough that its not just slightly annoying anymore, I am worried something is ready to fail.  I can rock the drum in any direction pushing from the inside and get no noises.  I can rotate the drum by hand and it is quiet and smooth.  But every wash cycle (drum turning slowly) we hear the knock/squeak/grinding noise.  There is no rhythm to the sound but it is quite constant when ever the drum is turning slow.  As soon as a spin cycle starts and the drum is turning a bit faster than the wash speed the sound completely stops.  Any advice is appreciated, we have twin girls (9 mo) and life without a washer is worse than 1000 deaths.  Thanks,

Need appliance parts? Call 877-803-7957 now!

Check that model number, sumpin ain't raht.

A video of the noise might help us narrow it down.  

Could also try applying some lube or belt dressing to the drum pulley in back to eliminate that as a suspect, as in this case:

The part number is WFW9200SQ02.  The sound in your video clip is VERY similar to our washer.  A grinding or creaking noise almost.  Our indoor humidity is around 35-40% right now if we are to trust our humidistat.  The sound is worse on heavier or poorly balanced loads like jeans.  It clears up completely when the drum is turning at a steady speed or accelerating smoothly.  I have been very concerned that the brushes in the motor are going bad and arcing, or that the motor controller is on the fritz.  I'll get to the belt and dress it.  I have some good stuff we use on drive belts at work (I think its called Pull-More).  I inspected the belt a few months ago and it was in good shape, but there is some belt dust in the cabinet.  Maybe I should replace the belt?  Also, is this a very common complaint that you have seen with front loaders?  Thank you for your help.  I will post back with my results...

Post the results of applying the belt dressing and let us know.  We'll go from there.

The belt dressing eliminated the grinding/chirping sound.  However the belt is now quite sticky, and there is a slight rubbing sound as the drum turns (not bothersome at all).  Should I order a belt or just wait and see how long this quick fix lasts?  Thank you for your help!

I would go ahead and replace the belt as the squeaking could be an indication of belt wear. Before you install the new belt, clean off the drum pulley thoroughly.

Here's the part link to the new belt:  http://www.repairclinic.com/PartDetail/Drive-Belt/W10388414/2024684

Comes with a 365-day, no-hassle Return Policy:  http://www.repairclinic.com/Layer/Return-Policy