Use this Search Box to Find Appliance Repair Help Now
Need help finding your model number?
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Welcome to Appliantology.org, the Web's Premiere Appliance Repair Resource for DIYers!

The world-famous Samurai Appliance Repair Forums

You can post a question and get repair help for FREE! Click here to get started.

Already a member of the Appliantology Academy? Just sign in with your username and password in the upper right-hand corner of the screen.

Photo

GE Profile Refrigerator model # PTS25LHS/PTS25 SHS

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 jan_gora

jan_gora

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Piwo

Posted 15 January 2014 - 10:03 PM

Hi. Thank you for taking the time to read this question. I appreciate your time.

Recently my refrigerator and freezer stopped working. I took everything out, unplugged it from electricity for 24 hours. Next I cleaned it, removed the back cover from the fridge, and vacuumed the inside. I then proceeded to reconnect the fridge to the electricity. Now it cools again, but poorly. The temperature continually changes. Sometimes the freezer temperature is 14 degrees Farenheit, and the fridge 48. Sometimes 25 and 46. Sometimes 27 and 53. It keeps changing. How can I fix my fridge?

The fridge is a GE Profile refrigerator with model # PTS25LHS/PTS25 SHS.

I appreciate any and all help. Thank you!

Use the Appliantology Parts Search Box to Find What You Need!
Enter your model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

#2 DurhamAppliance

DurhamAppliance

Sho' Nuff Chozin

• Grand Master Funk
  • 4,561 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Bells Two Hearted

Posted 16 January 2014 - 12:04 AM

First thing first, you must provide your complete model number from inside the fridge, not from paperwork or advertisement sticker.

Also, is there frost on the back wall inside the freezer? Is the fan in the freezer working?

Durham Appliance Thrift & Repair, LLC

www.DurhamApplianceThrift.com

#3 jan_gora

jan_gora

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 16 January 2014 - 08:16 PM

The fridge is a GE Profile Refrigerator.

Model #'s written on the inside of the fridge are:

PTS25LHS/

PTS25SHS

and

PTS22LHS/

PTS22SHS

I'm assuming that these numbers are for both the fridge and freezer.

Thanks for the help.

#4 jan_gora

jan_gora

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 16 January 2014 - 09:01 PM

I just checked for the fan. There is a fan at the bottom back of the fridge that works. However, I don't know if there is a separate fan for just the freezer.

Also, there is very slight frost is the back of the freezer.

#5 DurhamAppliance

DurhamAppliance

Sho' Nuff Chozin

• Grand Master Funk
  • 4,561 posts

Posted 16 January 2014 - 11:02 PM

These numbers must be from a sticker on the door.. this is an advertisement sticker ( pts22 means this is a 22 cu ft fridge. and pts25 means it is a 25 cu ft fridge... your fridge cannot be both, at least not in the known universe).

There is a model number sticker on the inside wall of the fresh food section. You know you have the correct sticker if you also see a serial number. Your model number should look something like PTS25LHSARBB

You should hear a fan running inside the freezer. This fan should be running when you hear the fan in the back running. If not you may have an evap fan and main board failure. If you are lucky, your fan may only be obstructed by frost buildup. Then your problem may simply be a defrost failure.

Edited by DurhamAppliance, 16 January 2014 - 11:20 PM.

#6 jan_gora

jan_gora

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 17 January 2014 - 12:06 AM

Hi. The model # is PTS25SHSARSS.

Also, I think that the fan is running. I put my head against the back of the freezer and hear something clicking. Also, when I put my ear inside the freezer I hear a faint noise.

Once again thank you for helping.

#7 DurhamAppliance

DurhamAppliance

Sho' Nuff Chozin

• Grand Master Funk
  • 4,561 posts

Posted 17 January 2014 - 12:10 AM

Okay, now you are going to have to remove the back panel in the freezer and check your evaporator coils. Are they covered with a heavy frost?

#8 jan_gora

jan_gora

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 17 January 2014 - 03:53 PM

Hi. I tried taking out the back panel. I opened the freezer and unscrewed the screws in the back and then tried taking out the panel. However, the panel is being blocked by the light at the top of the freezer. There doesn't seem to be any screws or obvious way of taking it out.

How can I get to the coils without damaging anything in the freezer? Thanks.

#9 jan_gora

jan_gora

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 17 January 2014 - 09:11 PM

Hi. I finally got to the back coils. By the time I got there, the fridge already defrosted. I don't think that the coils were frozen. There's no water under the coils (which I'm assuming there would be if the coils were frozen). 

#10 jan_gora

jan_gora

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 17 January 2014 - 09:17 PM

However, the sponge which separates the back panel from the freezer is wet.

#11 DurhamAppliance

DurhamAppliance

Sho' Nuff Chozin

• Grand Master Funk
  • 4,561 posts

Posted 19 January 2014 - 08:08 PM

ok.. do you still hear clicking? If so, what are the temps in the freezer and fridge now? Is the fan in the freezer running? Is the condenser fan running (located in back of fridge near compressor)?

Is the compressor warm and vibrating?

Is the clicking coming from the mainboard (behind a small door on the back of the fridge) ?

These questions involve items that could cause clicking... evap fan, compressor, condenser fan and mainboard. The only other items that could cause clicking is a damper motor and the ice maker. The damper motor would not affect freezer temps. The ice maker heater can affect temps but you indicated the sound was faint when inside the freezer. Try to localize the sound as best you can

#12 jan_gora

jan_gora

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 20 January 2014 - 03:18 PM

The fan in the freezer doesn't work. Do you know how can I fix this?

#13 Samurai Appliance Repair Man

Samurai Appliance Repair Man

Shōgun

• Master Samurai Tech
  • 29,031 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Sapporo Original Draft Rice Lager

Posted 20 January 2014 - 05:32 PM

See if you're getting 13.4-ish VDC to the evap fan motor back at the Muthaboard, J2 connector.  If you are, than just replace the fan motor:  http://www.repaircli...0X10228/1266145

Comes with a 365-day, no-hassle Return Policy:  http://www.repaircli...r/Return-Policy

If the Mobo voltage to the evap fan is lower than this, then replace BOTH the Mobo and the evap fan.  Here's the link to the Muthaboard:  http://www.repaircli...5X10942/1531075

Also come with a 365-day, no-hassle Return Policy:  http://www.repaircli...r/Return-Policy

Some resources for check the fan voltage at the Mobo:  

gallery_4_4_340323.jpg

gallery_4_4_163965.jpg

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Use the Appliantology Parts Finder to Get What You Need!
Enter a model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.

Your Sometimes-Lucid Host:
Samurai Appliance Repair Man
"If I can't help you fix your appliance and make you 100% satisfied, I will come to your home and slice open my belly,
spilling my steaming entrails onto your floor."

The Appliance Guru | AppliancePartsResource.com | Samurai's Blog

Real Time Analytics