Use this Search Box to Find Appliance Repair Help Now
Need help finding your model number?
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Boot Camp | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Welcome to Appliantology.org, the Web's Premiere Appliance Repair Resource for DIYers!

The world-famous Samurai Appliance Repair Forums

You can post a question and get repair help for FREE! Click here to get started.

Already a member of the Appliantology Academy? Just sign in with your username and password in the upper right-hand corner of the screen.

Photo

circuit board standoff tool

• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#1 BryanS

BryanS

Senpai

• Chief Appliantologist
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 873 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:I don't drink

Posted 16 January 2014 - 10:36 PM

http://www.standofftool.com/

An hvac tech shared this on hvac-talk facebook page. The tool is still in the works, but I like the idea. Some of board clips can be a pain.

Use the Appliantology Parts Search Box to Find What You Need!
Enter your model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

#2 DurhamAppliance

DurhamAppliance

Sho' Nuff Chozin

• Grand Master Funk
  • 4,375 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Bells Two Hearted

Posted 16 January 2014 - 10:41 PM

Cool as hell... sign me up for one. Great find Bryan!

ps.. it got me thinking... just the right size writing pen with the ink cartridge removed may just do the trick. Stay tuned... I will find something that works so they better hurry up and get it out of pre-production.

Edited by DurhamAppliance, 16 January 2014 - 10:51 PM.

Durham Appliance Thrift & Repair, LLC

www.DurhamApplianceThrift.com

#3 BryanS

BryanS

Senpai

• Chief Appliantologist
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 873 posts

Posted 16 January 2014 - 10:58 PM

He is trying to figure out what other functions to make it do. Maybe adding a scewdriver or something to the other end. I thought the same thing about the ink pen. Someone else suggested it but he said most ink pens aren't the right size. I think it would be handy, but many of the hvac guys don't seem that interested or just being cheapskates. His plan is to try and make them $5-10 each.

#4 BryanS

BryanS

Senpai

• Chief Appliantologist
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 873 posts

Posted 16 January 2014 - 11:07 PM

He just messaged me and said he will let me know when the first shipment is ready :)

#5 DurhamAppliance

DurhamAppliance

Sho' Nuff Chozin

• Grand Master Funk
  • 4,375 posts

Posted 16 January 2014 - 11:31 PM

I'd buy one and I don't need another screw driver, that would be completely useless and unnecessary. Now if he incorporated a dart-shooting blowgun, that's something altogether different.

Just imagine, a customer's snotty nosed brat of a kid making off with your 70th anniversary edition Snap-on ratcheting screwdriver. . Then silently and unbeknownst to mommy, you shoot a small dart in his unwiped backside with just enough pufferfish venom to render him unconscious for an hour or so. You could retrieve your tool and finish your work in peace. Man, he could name his price... but I would require a small percentage of each sale for the suggested modification.

Edited by DurhamAppliance, 16 January 2014 - 11:38 PM.

#6 BryanS

BryanS

Senpai

• Chief Appliantologist
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 873 posts

Posted 16 January 2014 - 11:44 PM

Haha. What amazes me is the parents that just allow their kids to be a nuisance. I know if it was me my dad would have yelled at me to get the h*ll out of the room.

Well he was thinking of a screwdriver for house thermostats because he's an hvac guy. I liked the flashlight idea. Always need a flashlight. Who knows what it will end up being.

#7 DurhamAppliance

DurhamAppliance

Sho' Nuff Chozin

• Grand Master Funk
  • 4,375 posts

Posted 16 January 2014 - 11:50 PM

My vote is blowgun or maybe a dog whistle, you know, something really useful.

#8 DurhamAppliance

DurhamAppliance

Sho' Nuff Chozin

• Grand Master Funk
  • 4,375 posts

Posted 16 January 2014 - 11:59 PM

btw, Years ago I went to a repair where the standoffs for the board were all broken. I replaced the board and somehow kept it off the fridge sufficiently to keep it from grounding.

At that time, I could not figure out how to replace them. It looked like they were manufactured into the cabinet. I have yet to run into this problem again but if I do, you have any suggestions?

#9 BryanS

BryanS

Senpai

• Chief Appliantologist
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 873 posts

Posted 17 January 2014 - 12:10 AM

Maybe you can punch the old clips through the hole and install these in place

http://www.amazon.co...X110_SY165_QL70

I'm not sure if those would screw into the holes or not. I imagine you can buy those clips somewhere. The ones linked are for computers.
Or maybe thesehttp://www.amazon.co...X110_SY165_QL70

#10 DurhamAppliance

DurhamAppliance

Sho' Nuff Chozin

• Grand Master Funk
  • 4,375 posts

Posted 17 January 2014 - 12:21 AM

those are both good ideas, I may order both types. Probably never use them but that repair I did left an indelible mark on my brain... I didn't know what to do, so I think i used some combination of tape and bubble wrap... this was years ago so I guess it worked.

#11 BryanS

BryanS

Senpai

• Chief Appliantologist
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 873 posts

Posted 17 January 2014 - 12:21 AM

I'd be afraid those threaded ones wouldn't be big enough though. It sucks the packs are so big. It would take a lot of broken clips to use them all.

Edited by BryanS, 17 January 2014 - 12:24 AM.

#12 -Mike-

-Mike-

Kohai

• Master Appliantologist
  • PipPipPip
  • 338 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:diet Pepsi

Posted 19 January 2014 - 01:54 AM

I wish there was a neat tool like that to push  the pins through on the Frigidaire front loader shocks. Something that could squeeze the prong in and push the pin through all at the same time.

#13 jumptrout

jumptrout

Sensei

• Academy Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,375 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Coors Light

Posted 19 January 2014 - 09:54 AM

The folks at auto audio shops already use a device like this.

#14 wishfultech

wishfultech

Yamabushi

• Grasshoppah
  • PipPip
  • 79 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:iced tea

Posted 19 January 2014 - 08:02 PM

I think I saw someone use a metric deep wall socket to push the pins through the shocks. The stand off tool looks like a Bic Pen without the ink.Seems like that would be a good thing to modify to fit the stand offs.Wonder where the audio folks get theirs?

#15 DurhamAppliance

DurhamAppliance

Sho' Nuff Chozin

• Grand Master Funk
  • 4,375 posts

Posted 20 January 2014 - 01:01 PM

The folks at auto audio shops already use a device like this.

but I bet it doesn't double as a blowgun.

#16 BryanS

BryanS

Senpai

• Chief Appliantologist
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 873 posts

Posted 22 January 2014 - 09:36 AM

Hey guys, I just received an email from this guy, and he wants to send me some prototypes to try out. Do you see a need for certain lengths? He doesn't do appliances, so he isn't sure if we would need a stubby version or what. Let me know please, and no Durham they won't have a blowgun built in :)

#17 micabay

micabay

Senpai

• Sublime Master of Appliantology
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 665 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Drifter Pale Ale

Posted 22 January 2014 - 10:00 AM

I'd buy one and I don't need another screw driver, that would be completely useless and unnecessary. Now if he incorporated a dart-shooting blowgun, that's something altogether different.

Just imagine, a customer's snotty nosed brat of a kid making off with your 70th anniversary edition Snap-on ratcheting screwdriver. . Then silently and unbeknownst to mommy, you shoot a small dart in his unwiped backside with just enough pufferfish venom to render him unconscious for an hour or so. You could retrieve your tool and finish your work in peace. Man, he could name his price... but I would require a small percentage of each sale for the suggested modification.

I like to kindly remind the customer, they are paying me in 15 minute increments, and we're not the cheapest baby sitter in town.  That tends to motivate them to wrangle their youngins to the next room.  Same goes for music or TVs blaring in the next room.  :deal:

#18 DurhamAppliance

DurhamAppliance

Sho' Nuff Chozin

• Grand Master Funk
  • 4,375 posts

Posted 22 January 2014 - 11:17 AM

Paying you for being a baby sitter may earn you extra cash

.Dropping a toddler teething on your snap-on in his tracks.with a blow gun...priceless 

Edited by DurhamAppliance, 22 January 2014 - 11:19 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Boot Camp | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Use the Appliantology Parts Finder to Get What You Need!
Enter a model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.

Your Sometimes-Lucid Host:
Samurai Appliance Repair Man
"If I can't help you fix your appliance and make you 100% satisfied, I will come to your home and slice open my belly,
spilling my steaming entrails onto your floor."

The Appliance Guru | AppliancePartsResource.com | Samurai's Blog

Real Time Analytics