Need appliance parts? Call 877-803-7957 now or use the parts search box:

Parts Search

Troubleshoot modern appliances with confidence…

Click here to check out our structured, online appliance repair training courses for rookies and experienced techs.

FAQs | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Podcast | Contact

Stay connected with us...

Samurai on Facebook - become a fan today! Sign up for our free newsletter and keep up with all things Appliantology. Subscribe to our YouTube channel for lots of appliance repair tips and help! Follow the Samurai on Twitter and get timely morsels of Appliantological Wisdom! Subscribe to our MST Radio podcast to learn secrets of the trade.
Patricio

Dishwasher has hole

9 posts in this topic

Client asked me to at look at a D/W leaking while on washer call.  Unit was out already so no biggie.   Found small hole in bottom of cabinet where a sharp heavy objected  pierced plastic.  I'm thinking an expoxy, JB weld perhaps could be used to seal it.  I think a food grade silicone would enventually peel.    Opinions wanted.  :thanks:

Need appliance parts? Call 877-803-7957 now!

I would be hesitant to make a repair to it with all the liability these days. Most of the time I wouldn't do it, but if it was the right customer I might as long as they signed a waiver on the tag stating it's not a proper repair and they accept full responsibility for any water damage  if the repair doesn't work.

With that said, if its a small puncture I think waterproof epoxy would be your best bet. Prep the area good by scuffing it with emory cloth and clean it with alcohol and then put a good layer on it. Some epoxy will melt some plastics with the reaction when its curing so if you're unsure test it first on another area of the tub where if it doesn't work it won't be a problem. Like a tab or something underneath where if it does melt thats not a part where the back side is open to the water.

Again, 98% of the time I wouldn't want to do it. What I might do is give the customer some ideas and let them fix it themself.

What is the model number? Just for grins I would check it for dishwasher models recalled for a hole in the tub. Where is the hole?

Dishwasher is over 10 years old.   I've used JB weld, Haliburton putty (used in oil fields), for many applications including fuel tanks.   Just wondering if anybody has seen this before.

I have seen it done. Usually doesn't hold.

Too much liability if it leaks and ruins floor. They could come back on you. I would steer clear.

Way too much liability in doing a repair like that unless you get them to sign a release of liabilty form. And still, I think I would try to get out of it.

I was not going to get involved other than seeing if it had been down before & would work.   I am passing information to client.   Water has already leaked for a period of time.   Thank you for information.

personally I've used epoxy-pol, the underwater version.  It hardens in ten minuts and resists the heat.  I did one two years ago and it is still working or holding fine.  Of coarse I don't have liability problems down here in Costa Rica.  :-)

Doc

Is it a nice round hole? Perhaps a couple fender washers and some neoprene and a nut and bolt?