Use this Search Box to Find Appliance Repair Help Now
Need help finding your model number?
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Welcome to Appliantology.org, the Web's Premiere Appliance Repair Resource!

The world-famous Samurai Appliance Repair Forums

You can post a question and get repair help for FREE! Click here to get started.

Already a member of the Appliantology Academy? Just sign in with your username and password in the upper right-hand corner of the screen.

Photo

Dishwasher has hole

Sealing a hole Seal cracked tub

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Patricio

Patricio

Opa

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,390 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Home brewed ice tea

Posted 19 January 2014 - 05:38 PM

Client asked me to at look at a D/W leaking while on washer call.  Unit was out already so no biggie.   Found small hole in bottom of cabinet where a sharp heavy objected  pierced plastic.  I'm thinking an expoxy, JB weld perhaps could be used to seal it.  I think a food grade silicone would enventually peel.    Opinions wanted.  :thanks:

I see says the blind man, leading a lame dog, while talking to a deaf person. In other words, Not liable if you choose to follow my opinion.
IgonFishn

Use the Appliantology Parts Search Box to Find What You Need!
Enter your model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

#2 -Mike-

-Mike-

Kohai

• Appliantologist
  • PipPipPip
  • 338 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:diet Pepsi

Posted 19 January 2014 - 06:44 PM

I would be hesitant to make a repair to it with all the liability these days. Most of the time I wouldn't do it, but if it was the right customer I might as long as they signed a waiver on the tag stating it's not a proper repair and they accept full responsibility for any water damage  if the repair doesn't work.

With that said, if its a small puncture I think waterproof epoxy would be your best bet. Prep the area good by scuffing it with emory cloth and clean it with alcohol and then put a good layer on it. Some epoxy will melt some plastics with the reaction when its curing so if you're unsure test it first on another area of the tub where if it doesn't work it won't be a problem. Like a tab or something underneath where if it does melt thats not a part where the back side is open to the water.

Again, 98% of the time I wouldn't want to do it. What I might do is give the customer some ideas and let them fix it themself.

#3 Chat_in_FL

Chat_in_FL

Havoc

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,342 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:What's on tap?

Posted 19 January 2014 - 07:31 PM

What is the model number? Just for grins I would check it for dishwasher models recalled for a hole in the tub. Where is the hole?

We, the unwilling, led by the unknowing, are doing the impossible for the ungrateful. We have done so much, for so long, with so little, we are now qualified to do anything with nothing.

Mother Teresa

#4 Patricio

Patricio

Opa

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,390 posts

Posted 19 January 2014 - 08:07 PM

Dishwasher is over 10 years old.   I've used JB weld, Haliburton putty (used in oil fields), for many applications including fuel tanks.   Just wondering if anybody has seen this before.

I see says the blind man, leading a lame dog, while talking to a deaf person. In other words, Not liable if you choose to follow my opinion.
IgonFishn

#5 applianceman97

applianceman97

Baby Sensei

• Grand Master Funk
  • 1,809 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Fresh Squeezed IPA

Posted 19 January 2014 - 08:51 PM

I have seen it done. Usually doesn't hold.
Too much liability if it leaks and ruins floor. They could come back on you. I would steer clear.

Kicks major Samsung booty first, asks diagnostic questions later.

http://www.justintimeappliance.com

#6 tpoindexter

tpoindexter

Senpai

• Master Appliantologist
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 621 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Beamish

Posted 20 January 2014 - 10:05 AM

Way too much liability in doing a repair like that unless you get them to sign a release of liabilty form. And still, I think I would try to get out of it.

Test

#7 Patricio

Patricio

Opa

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,390 posts

Posted 20 January 2014 - 04:21 PM

I was not going to get involved other than seeing if it had been down before & would work.   I am passing information to client.   Water has already leaked for a period of time.   Thank you for information.

IgonFishn

#8 electro_doc

electro_doc

Senpai

• Sublime Master of Appliantology
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 810 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:orange juice

Posted 20 January 2014 - 09:55 PM

personally I've used epoxy-pol, the underwater version.  It hardens in ten minuts and resists the heat.  I did one two years ago and it is still working or holding fine.  Of coarse I don't have liability problems down here in Costa Rica.  :-)

Doc

#9 olyteddy

olyteddy

Kohai

• Sublime Master of Appliantology
  • PipPipPip
  • 336 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Earl Grey

Posted 20 January 2014 - 10:35 PM

Is it a nice round hole? Perhaps a couple fender washers and some neoprene and a nut and bolt?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Use the Appliantology Parts Finder to Get What You Need!
Enter a model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.

Your Sometimes-Lucid Host:
Samurai Appliance Repair Man
"If I can't help you fix your appliance and make you 100% satisfied, I will come to your home and slice open my belly,
spilling my steaming entrails onto your floor."

The Appliance Guru | Master Samurai Tech

Real Time Analytics