Learn appliance repair at the Samurai Tech Academy.  Learn more.  Earn more.

Parts Search
Site Search

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Welcome to Appliantology.org, the Web's Premiere Appliance Repair Resource!

The world-famous Samurai Appliance Repair Forums

To get started, click here.

Already a member of the Appliantology Academy? Just sign in with your username and password in the upper right-hand corner of the screen.

Photo

Kenmore dishwasher not draining during cycle

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Bucspurgiant

Bucspurgiant

Unsui

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Rolling Rock

Posted 19 January 2014 - 06:14 PM

I replaced the impeller a month ago to repair the leak. I took the dishwasher out of the space to do it. Now my dishwasher will not drain during the cycle. I have to press cancel about five minutes later to drain the dishwasher. I was convinced the problem was the control board so I replaced it. Now the wash interval seems to be shorter and it still won't drain. I hear clicking sounds as if a signal is sent. I checked the drain valve for blockage. What am I missing?

Use the Appliantology Parts Search Box to Find What You Need!
Enter your model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

#2 Samurai Appliance Repair Man

Samurai Appliance Repair Man

Shōgun

• Master Samurai Tech
  • 29,646 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Sapporo Original Draft Rice Lager

Posted 19 January 2014 - 06:24 PM

What am I missing?

A model number.

#3 Bucspurgiant

Bucspurgiant

Unsui

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 19 January 2014 - 06:26 PM

Sorry. That would help. Wouldn't it?

#4 Samurai Appliance Repair Man

Shōgun

• Master Samurai Tech
  • 29,646 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Sapporo Original Draft Rice Lager

Posted 19 January 2014 - 06:31 PM

Unscrew this check valve from the motor where the drain hose attaches and take it out to see if it's plugged with gookus.  Run water through it to be sure: http://www.repaircli...lve/675238/2844

#5 Bucspurgiant

Bucspurgiant

Unsui

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 19 January 2014 - 06:34 PM

That was the last thing I did before posting this. It was clean but I ran water throughout it anyway. The water is only supposed to flow one way. Right?

#6 -Mike-

-Mike-

Kohai

• Sublime Master of Appliantology
  • PipPipPip
  • 338 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:diet Pepsi

Posted 19 January 2014 - 06:56 PM

If it does drain, just so slow you have to press the cancel button 5 times thats got to be one of two things. The most common by far is something is restricting the drain line somewhere. If thats not it you may have an impeller in the drain pump that has been damaged. Like if a piece of glass was in there and wore down or broke off some of the vanes. 

If  the drain hose connects to an air gap on top of the sink take that apart and look  for something blocking the water flow. Like a big ball of gunk or anything else that could have made its way through the drain line. If its clean, disconnect the drain hose from the air gap and see if the dishwasher will drain in to a bucket. You may have something floating around in the drain hose thats too big to fit through the air gap so by draining it in to a bucket that should clear the object out if there is something in there. If it connects right to the disposer of sink drain disconnect the hose there and make sure nothing there  is blocking it. Its very common  for the connection on the disposer to plug up with disposer junk.

Does this have the factory plastic drain hose on it or is it connected to a rubber hose? Those rubber hoses will kink over time and stop the water flow.

#7 Chat_in_FL

Chat_in_FL

Havoc

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,401 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:What's on tap?

Posted 19 January 2014 - 07:29 PM

As Mike said, you most likely kinked the drain line when you pulled it out and then reinstalled the dishwasher.

We, the unwilling, led by the unknowing, are doing the impossible for the ungrateful. We have done so much, for so long, with so little, we are now qualified to do anything with nothing.

Mother Teresa

The views and opinions expressed in this post are those of the author and do not necessarily reflect or represent the views and opinions held by my employer. All data and information provided is for informational purposes only.

Big Brother

#8 Bucspurgiant

Bucspurgiant

Unsui

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 19 January 2014 - 08:52 PM

I removed the drain hose (it is the manufacturer version) and sprayed water through it with a garden hose. It took the housing apart to check on the impeller. I did not see any obstructions. I am running it again. I still don't understand why the intervals or so short. The wash cycle only lasts about 20 seconds. That is why I thought the problem was electrical.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Use the Appliantology Parts Finder to Get What You Need!
Enter a model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

Your Sometimes-Lucid Host:
"If I can't help you fix your appliance and make you 100% satisfied, I will come to your home and slice open my belly,
spilling my steaming entrails onto your floor."

The Appliance Guru | Master Samurai Tech

Real Time Analytics