Learn appliance repair at the Samurai Tech Academy.  Learn more.  Earn more.

Parts Search
Site Search

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Welcome to Appliantology.org, the Web's Premiere Appliance Repair Resource!

The world-famous Samurai Appliance Repair Forums

To get started, click here.

Already a member of the Appliantology Academy? Just sign in with your username and password in the upper right-hand corner of the screen.

Photo

Whirlpool washer WTW4800XQ0 won't spin but drains, works fine in diagnostic mode

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 frunch

frunch

Kohai

• Professional Appliantologist
  • PipPipPip
  • 257 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:River Horse Hipp-O-Lantern Pumpkin Ale

Posted 20 January 2014 - 10:06 AM

I got stumped by one of those newer belt-drive Whirlpool top-load washers the other day, and thought I'd see if I can get some input from my fellow Appliantologists. I went to a customers house the other day to fix their 4-5 year old Whirlpool top loader and found 2 codes stored in the CPU's memory: F7E1 indicating a basket speed sensor failure, and also an F7E7 indicating that motor could not reach target RPM. I tried the diagnostic tests and it seemed to work properly, though. Tried filling, agitating, draining, and spinning, and they all worked properly! 

I reseated connectors to CPU and even tried a new lid latch since I had one in stock (I was grasping at straws, figured what the hell--even though there was nothing to indicate any problem with the lid latch to begin with). I ran the machine through a full cycle and saw exactly what the customer had been experiencing. It gets all the way to the point in the cycle where the Spin LED is lit, Lid Lock LED is lit, and it will drain and fill with rinse water and drain again (over 10-15 minutes), but it did not spin once. I finally cancelled the cycle, went to the manual test mode and put it in the spin test--the mode shifter engaged the transmission and seconds later it was spinning just fine! I'm leaning toward bad CPU board (which means the washer will be put to the curb, can't believe how much they want for the CPU!!).....but I figured I'd get a second opinion before I declare it dead. Again, model is WTW4800XQ0. Thoughts?

Thanks!
Trevor

Use the Appliantology Parts Search Box to Find What You Need!
Enter your model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

#2 MicaBay

MicaBay

Master Roaster

• Sublime Master of Appliantology
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 871 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Drifter Pale Ale

Posted 20 January 2014 - 10:22 AM

We have had more machines give all sorts of symptoms and the root cause had been the shift actuator.  With this style machine, you basically have to throw logic out the door.  Whirlpool has, just look at the price they want for the main control board.....

#3 frunch

frunch

Kohai

• PipPipPip
  • 257 posts

Posted 20 January 2014 - 10:34 AM

Thanks for the prompt response, micabay! We've been meaning to order up a spare shift actuator, looks like we'll have to do it sooner than later...I'm going to order one up and I'll follow up later with results.

Thanks again!

#4 Samurai Appliance Repair Man

Samurai Appliance Repair Man

Shōgun

• Master Samurai Tech
  • 30,064 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Sapporo Original Draft Rice Lager

Posted 20 January 2014 - 04:57 PM

Justs did one today, F7E1 error.  Bad mode shifter:  http://www.repaircli...0006355/1719787

I always keep at least one of these on The Guru Mobile.  

There's some training material available for this error in the Downloads section:  http://appliantology...training-video/

Mode Shifter: the new drive coupler for the New Millenium™ 

DIYers: Save time and money by learning the secrets of appliance repair... Click Here!

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

#5 frunch

frunch

Kohai

• PipPipPip
  • 257 posts

Posted 20 January 2014 - 05:00 PM

Thanks for the response, Samurai! I'll be sure to update when I get the chance to pop one in.

#6 MicaBay

MicaBay

Master Roaster

• Sublime Master of Appliantology
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 871 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Drifter Pale Ale

Posted 20 January 2014 - 07:24 PM

While ya down there, yer may as well check the tightness of the two pullies. Them been known to randomly fall off...

:woot:

#7 frunch

frunch

Kohai

• PipPipPip
  • 257 posts

Posted 21 January 2014 - 11:59 AM

Good call, micabay! I've had that happen on the transmission pulley on 2 of these machines so far. I'm going to make it a point to remove them and add a little locktite to the threads. I have a feeling we're going to be getting a lot of calls on these...!  :wink:

#8 curjones

curjones

Senpai

• PipPipPipPip
  • 516 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:diet coke

Posted 21 January 2014 - 08:17 PM

Changed on this week myself, but it failed to go into spin under manual test.  I have one in shop that was giving me fits with water level, has the pressure switch outside of control board, some have the switch and control board all in one.  Think I'll make a seperate post to see what others have found out.  I have replaced two lid  switches for a comerical customer, need to keep one in stock for sure.

#9 frunch

frunch

Kohai

• PipPipPip
  • 257 posts

Posted 27 January 2014 - 05:18 PM

Well, finally got back to the customers house today and the Shift Actuator was indeed the culprit! After popping the new one in, it ran all the way through the cycle as it should. Agitated, spun, all that good stuff. Thanks for all the help, fellas! I am keeping an extra on my truck from now on...!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Use the Appliantology Parts Finder to Get What You Need!
Enter a model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

Your Sometimes-Lucid Host:
Samurai Appliance Repair Man
"If I can't help you fix your appliance and make you 100% satisfied, I will come to your home and slice open my belly,
spilling my steaming entrails onto your floor."

The Appliance Guru | Master Samurai Tech

Real Time Analytics