Use this Search Box to Find Appliance Repair Help Now
Need help finding your model number?
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Boot Camp | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Welcome to Appliantology.org, the Web's Premiere Appliance Repair Resource for DIYers!

The world-famous Samurai Appliance Repair Forums

You can post a question and get repair help for FREE! Click here to get started.

Already a member of the Appliantology Academy? Just sign in with your username and password in the upper right-hand corner of the screen.

Photo

GE Profile Fridge Not Working - PTS25SHRARBS

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 Timboroni

Timboroni

Yamabushi

• Grasshoppah
  • PipPip
  • 68 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Corona

Posted 20 January 2014 - 02:02 PM

I have a GE Profile refrigerator model PTS25SHRARBS that is not cooling either the fridge or freezer. I took the back cover off and cleaned the condenser fins of a lot of dust but that didn't help. The fan on the condenser is running, as is the fan in the freezer. The compressor does not even attempt to go on. Could it be the start relay?

Thanks for your help!

Use the Appliantology Parts Search Box to Find What You Need!
Enter your model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

#2 Samurai Appliance Repair Man

Samurai Appliance Repair Man

Shōgun

• Fermented Grand Master
  • 28,709 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Sapporo Original Draft Rice Lager

Posted 20 January 2014 - 05:23 PM

Mostl likely a bad Muthaboard.  Check for 120vac out of J8 (see pic below).  If da nada, compadre, replace the Mobo:  http://www.repaircli...5X10942/1531075

Comes with a 365-day, no-hassle Return Policy:  http://www.repaircli...r/Return-Policy

gallery_4_4_340323.jpg

#3 Timboroni

Timboroni

Yamabushi

• Grasshoppah
  • PipPip
  • 68 posts

Posted 20 January 2014 - 08:01 PM

How come, oh Great One, it is ALWAYS the $180 part and never the $7 part? :smile:

I will check it out and see what the voltage is.

Thanks!

#4 Timboroni

Timboroni

Yamabushi

• Grasshoppah
  • PipPip
  • 68 posts

Posted 22 January 2014 - 09:33 PM

Well, I ordered the part and am waiting for it to arrive. I got my voltage meter and went and checked out the J8 jumper (connected to J11, I presume) and I'm getting 122V. I'm guessing that means it's not the motherboard. Or did I test it incorrectly?

#5 -Mike-

-Mike-

Kohai

• Master Appliantologist
  • PipPipPip
  • 338 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:diet Pepsi

Posted 23 January 2014 - 12:49 AM

If you found 122 volts between  J8 and J11 when the compressor SHOULD be running  that would mean between J8 and J11 is the open part of the circuit. Replacing the board should fix the problem.

#6 Timboroni

Timboroni

Yamabushi

• Grasshoppah
  • PipPip
  • 68 posts

Posted 23 January 2014 - 01:45 AM

Great. The snow here in the Northeast is delaying the arrival of the new board. Once I get it and install it I'll let you know how I make out.

#7 Samurai Appliance Repair Man

Shōgun

• Fermented Grand Master
  • 28,709 posts

Posted 23 January 2014 - 05:47 AM

If you found 122 volts between  J8 and J11 when the compressor SHOULD be running  that would mean between J8 and J11 is the open part of the circuit. Replacing the board should fix the problem.

Probably a typo but... if there's ~120VAC between J8 and J11, it means the open is on the board (as you said) and therefore the compressor SHOULD NOT be running  because it's not getting power from the board.  The conclusion is the same: Replacing the board will fix the problem.  

#8 DurhamAppliance

DurhamAppliance

Sho' Nuff Chozin

• Grand Master Funk
  • 4,370 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Bells Two Hearted

Posted 23 January 2014 - 07:58 AM

You guys are confusing me... too many "negative-nots" for my brain this morning sans coffee.

Official mainboard test for compressor not running:

when fans are running (Ge says to check to see if freezer thermistor is within range but fan motor running indicates thermistor isn't the problem) check for 120vac from connector 7 pin 9 (orange wire) to Pin 8 (black wire) If voltage not present, replace board. If voltage present test compressor directly.

Unofficial mainboard test:

Jump pin 11 to pin 8 (keep connector plugged in), if compressor runs, replace board. If not, check compressor/relay etc

Basically what you are testing is to see if the relay is connecting the hot line (pin 11) to the compressor (pin 8) to turn on the compressor (there is a neutral line at the compressor to give it 120vac)

If the relay is working fine and the hot line from pin 11 is being sent to the compressor through pin 8, to verify this all we have to do is check pin 8 with a neutral line at the board and we should get 120vac, right?

And surprise surprise, we have a neutral pin at connector 7 pin 9. Then when we put our meter on this neutral and what should be a hot line at pin 8 and we get 120vac we know all is well with the relay. If not, that means the pin 8 aint hot and the relay/board aint connecting the line (pin 11) to the compressor (pin 8).... time to buy a new board.

Using a jumper from line (pin 11) to compressor (pin 8) is simply bypassing the relay so if the compressor starts, that means there is nothing wrong with the compressor thus, by default, your board is bad.

Edited by DurhamAppliance, 23 January 2014 - 08:43 AM.

Durham Appliance Thrift & Repair, LLC

www.DurhamApplianceThrift.com

#9 Samurai Appliance Repair Man

Shōgun

• Fermented Grand Master
  • 28,709 posts

Posted 23 January 2014 - 08:19 AM

This is correct.  

J7-9 (orange wire) is AC neutral to the muthaboard.  J11 is AC line to the muthaboard.  

J8 is AC line OUT of the muthaboard to the compressor-- but it is a switched output, meaning a relay on the muthaboard has to make that connection between J8 and J11.  

So you should ALWAYS measure 120vac between J11 and J7-9, that's just line and neutral to the muthaboard. 

When the compressor relay (on the muthaboard) is closed, you would NOT measure 120vac between J8 and J11 because that switch (relay contacts) on the muthaboard is closed.  But you would, however, measure 120vac between J8 and J7-9 when the muthaboard compressor relay is closed.  

Pop Quiz:  What's the voltage drop across a closed switch?

When the compressor relay on the muthaboard is open, would WOULD measure 120vac between J8 and J11.  

Another Pop Quiz:  What's the voltage across an open switch?

#10 DurhamAppliance

DurhamAppliance

Sho' Nuff Chozin

• Grand Master Funk
  • 4,370 posts

Posted 23 January 2014 - 08:49 AM

oops.... I, was eating my captain crunch and did not finish editing the second part of the post until after your last post. So sorry for creating the appearance of redundancy , but Captain Crunch waits for no man!

ps your pop quiz... you would get 120vac. For me, a non-electrical type dude, it is easier to remember no voltage means bad board as oppose to if you find voltage then bad board. The latter is counterintuitive and you must commit it to memory unless you understand how the board works and understand the principle of voltage across an open switch.

So my instructions were mainly for us non-electrical type dudes and not for you electronics wizards. This is not to say we should not all aspire to be electronics wizards (goodness knows I'm trying like hell ) but It is still fresh in my mind the memory of the "120v and the board is bad" concept confusing and perplexing me for a long long time.

I use to hear "and since there is 120 at pin 11 and pin 8 then you know the compressor isn't working, right?" Then I would go "uh". Then your pop quiz would come up... "well you know if the relay is open you'd get 120" Then I'd say.. "yeah" all the while thinking "what relay is he talking about... i don't see no relay at that connector, if i did, what is it suppose to do? just play along until you go home and resume your studies."

Edited by DurhamAppliance, 23 January 2014 - 09:20 AM.

#11 DurhamAppliance

DurhamAppliance

Sho' Nuff Chozin

• Grand Master Funk
  • 4,370 posts

Posted 23 January 2014 - 09:55 AM

What I think really got me confused is now I realize Mike and Samurai are saying the same thing. No typo. Correct me if I'm wrong but I think Samurai misunderstood Mike. Mike said "WHEN the compressor should be running" and I think Samurai understood this to mean "the compressor should be running."

#12 -Mike-

-Mike-

Kohai

• Master Appliantologist
  • PipPipPip
  • 338 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:diet Pepsi

Posted 23 January 2014 - 04:06 PM

Sorry for the confusion. What I was trying to say there is the compressor SHOULD  be running, but its NOT running.

#13 Timboroni

Timboroni

Yamabushi

• Grasshoppah
  • PipPip
  • 68 posts

Posted 24 January 2014 - 01:06 AM

Well, I got the part today and went to install it. When I disconnected the old board I saw a black burn mark on the wall of the compartment where the board was. I flipped the board over and I saw that the board was literally fried. That confirmed what the problem was! :smile:

I installed the new board, plugged the fridge in, and the compressor started working!

Thanks everyone for your assistance and teaching! Beer money on the way!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Boot Camp | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Use the Appliantology Parts Finder to Get What You Need!
Enter a model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.

Your Sometimes-Lucid Host:
"If I can't help you fix your appliance and make you 100% satisfied, I will come to your home and slice open my belly,
spilling my steaming entrails onto your floor."

The Appliance Guru | AppliancePartsResource.com | Samurai's Blog

Real Time Analytics