Learn appliance repair at the Samurai Tech Academy.  Learn more.  Earn more.

Use this Search Box to Find Appliance Repair Help Now
Need help finding your model number?
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Welcome to Appliantology.org, the Web's Premiere Appliance Repair Resource!

The world-famous Samurai Appliance Repair Forums

You can post a question and get repair help for FREE! Click here to get started.

Already a member of the Appliantology Academy? Just sign in with your username and password in the upper right-hand corner of the screen.

Photo

Defrost timer question, GE GDS18SCPARSS

27 replies to this topic

#21 electro_doc

electro_doc

Senpai

• Sublime Master of Appliantology
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 876 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:orange juice

Posted 23 February 2014 - 12:04 PM

Take the tin foil off the heater.  Put the wire down the drain hole a couple inches.  Doesn't get hot enough to do any damage.  One wire goes to common heater wire, one goes to hot heater wire.  Wire nuts put on and turned with the top up and covered with electrical tape works good.  Use a wire tie to keep it all tight.  This Will solve your problem!

Doc

Use the Appliantology Parts Search Box to Find What You Need!
Enter your model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

#22 mickyfinn

mickyfinn

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 14 posts

Posted 24 February 2014 - 05:13 PM

Thanks Doc!  I'll give it a try and let you know!!

#23 mickyfinn

mickyfinn

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 14 posts

Posted 13 April 2014 - 02:10 PM

Update: I installed the wire heater in the trough and down the drain and flushed with bleach. It bought me an extra week or two (about 5 weeks this time)but still froze up like before. I wired it into the lead for the defrost heater. I just thawed the damn thing out again and figuring I don't have much to lose tried something a little different. I just spliced the wire heater into a constant hot wire so it will stay on all the time now. I put it back into the trough and the drain line and covered the trough with a 1/4" thick piece of styrofoam that I lined with foil tape. It gives a clear path along the trough that's now heated by the wire and separated from the cold air blown by the fan. Taped it all into place with more foil tape and still had plenty of clearance from the fan, and then put it back together. Any thoughts on this?? I'll report back with results!

#24 electro_doc

electro_doc

Senpai

• PipPipPipPip
  • 876 posts

Posted 13 April 2014 - 09:55 PM

Does the drain have a duck bill like end on it restricting the water flow?  Or does it drain good.  I like your idea but I'm not sure about having it on all the time, then again maybe it's only on when the compressor is running, could work.  Keep in touchl, thanks for the follow up;.

Doc

#25 mickyfinn

mickyfinn

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 14 posts

Posted 14 April 2014 - 07:40 PM

Not sure about the shape but it's always drained well. I think the ice builds up on the trough and continues to build every defrost cycle until it blocks the drain and stops the fan. If this last bit of work pays out I'll be pleasantly surprised and grateful! I'll report!

#26 electro_doc

electro_doc

Senpai

• PipPipPipPip
  • 876 posts

Posted 15 April 2014 - 09:08 AM

Not sure about the shape but it's always drained well. I think the ice builds up on the trough and continues to build every defrost cycle until it blocks the drain and stops the fan. If this last bit of work pays out I'll be pleasantly surprised and grateful! I'll report!

thanks,  This is mighty strange!  Does the heater you are using, (the wire heater) work?  Actually thinking more about it, I don't think I removed the tin foil from the wire when I did it.  Don't know if this would make a difference or not but thought it worth mentioning.

Doc

Edited by electro_doc, 15 April 2014 - 09:12 AM.

#27 mickyfinn

mickyfinn

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 14 posts

Posted 02 October 2014 - 10:08 AM

Hey All!   Waited good and long for an update, and it's all been good!  Going on almost 6 months now and the fridge has not iced up.  I've not noticed any appreciable change in the power bill from leaving the heat wire on full time, and the fridge is ice cold.  I'm not considering myself completely out of the woods yet, the problem was noticibly worse in winter, but given that I was de-icing it every 6 weeks or so, I'm at least optimistic~ and hopefully not jinxing myself!!  I'll update again post winter!

Thanks again for all the input!

Evan

#28 electro_doc

electro_doc

Senpai

• PipPipPipPip
  • 876 posts

Posted 02 October 2014 - 10:56 AM

waiting for the post winter follow up.  Thanks for the up date.  Glad it's working out.

Doc

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Use the Appliantology Parts Finder to Get What You Need!
Enter a model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.

Your Sometimes-Lucid Host:
Samurai Appliance Repair Man
"If I can't help you fix your appliance and make you 100% satisfied, I will come to your home and slice open my belly,
spilling my steaming entrails onto your floor."

The Appliance Guru | Master Samurai Tech

Real Time Analytics