Learn appliance repair at the Samurai Tech Academy.  Learn more.  Earn more.

Parts Search
Site Search

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Welcome to Appliantology.org, the Web's Premiere Appliance Repair Resource!

The world-famous Samurai Appliance Repair Forums

To get started, click here.

Already a member of the Appliantology Academy? Just sign in with your username and password in the upper right-hand corner of the screen.

Photo

RS2555SL Dead after regional power failure. Now only lights working.

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 Sunlight Appliance

Sunlight Appliance

Sōhei

• Grasshoppah
  • PipPipPip
  • 209 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:RAW MILK. Yes, you sissies, I really drink it.

Posted 21 January 2014 - 03:24 PM

Samsung Refrigerator / Freezer. Before heading over, I am interested in any input from those of you with experience in these boxes.

:thanks:

STOP building government and START building business. :miner:

Use the Appliantology Parts Search Box to Find What You Need!
Enter your model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

#2 Applianceman97

Applianceman97

Baby Sensei

• Grand Master Funk
  • 2,073 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Fresh Squeezed IPA

Posted 21 January 2014 - 04:28 PM

Make sure to have the fast track manual and a service manual before you go. Haven't had one of these be dead before. You will need to be checking voltages so make sure you have the skinny test leads.

Kicks major Samsung booty first, asks diagnostic questions later.

http://www.justintimeappliance.com

#3 Applianceman97

Applianceman97

Baby Sensei

• Grand Master Funk
  • 2,073 posts

Posted 21 January 2014 - 04:33 PM

If the unit has an error code, then that may be why the display is not working. On the older Samsungs when power is lost it will display the error and not turn on. You usually have to hold the temp alarm and lighting button. (Check fast track for diagnostic mode) once you have it diagnostic mode the unit should fire up. Then proceed to fix the error.

#4 Sunlight Appliance

Sunlight Appliance

Sōhei

• Grasshoppah
  • PipPipPip
  • 209 posts

Posted 22 January 2014 - 03:22 AM

Cool. Thank you. I guess Fast Track is the best we can do on these? I remember hearing something about the manufacturer not sharing literature, and, this is why there is no manual?

Thanks. I'll post what happens.

#5 MicaBay

MicaBay

Master Roaster

• Sublime Master of Appliantology
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 827 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Drifter Pale Ale

Posted 22 January 2014 - 09:52 AM

Just went out on a samsung sxs, had a huge surge at customers house.  We checked the Inverter board and the control board... Control looked besides the blown fuse, and the inverter was shot.  Replaced inverter and changed fuse on the control.  Plugged back in, nothing.   No power anywhere.  Took the lower back panel and there was a filter board, blown out.  Bypassed temporary, and got the fridge going.  

So, check behind the lower panel too.  These Samsungs have more PCB than the space shuttle!

#6 Applianceman97

Applianceman97

Baby Sensei

• Grand Master Funk
  • 2,073 posts

Posted 22 January 2014 - 10:52 AM

Cool. Thank you. I guess Fast Track is the best we can do on these? I remember hearing something about the manufacturer not sharing literature, and, this is why there is no manual?

Thanks. I'll post what happens.

If you search in the service manual request forum you will find a huge samsung refrigerator service manual. Tells you way more than the fast track. Search and ye shall find.

#7 Sunlight Appliance

Sunlight Appliance

Sōhei

• Grasshoppah
  • PipPipPip
  • 209 posts

Posted 26 January 2014 - 02:53 AM

Hi you guys,

Finished up a couple of days ago and it's been running great since. So, all I did was initiate the diagnostic mode. Instead of showing any error codes, the fridge started right up. Am I missing something here? Was it just in "sales mode" or something? I also put a surge protector on the back of it, Samurai style.

#8 DurhamAppliance

DurhamAppliance

Sho' Nuff Chozin

• Grand Master Funk
  • 5,074 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Bells Two Hearted

Posted 26 January 2014 - 06:48 AM

When you initiate a diagnostic mode or unplug a Samsung, you effectively clear any outstanding error code. More than likely it will do the same thing once it finds the error again. Prepare your customers for this eventuality and have them observe any flashing Led segments on the display

Remember the following Samsung help tips:

1) their mainboards rarely ever fail

2) A shorted or open thermistor will shut down the fridge and lock the display. The fridge may have no operation or operate in emergency mode. Not unusual after a power failure... look for a blinking segment on the display. Other errors will not lock the display. Out of calibration thermistors will not show up as an error.

3) check for displayed diagnostic code before unplugging fridge or entering diagnostic mode. Unplugging the fridge starts a self diagnosis but will take 5 hours for any error code to reappear so always manually diagnose fridge before unplugging.

Edited by DurhamAppliance, 26 January 2014 - 10:02 AM.

Durham Appliance Thrift & Repair, LLC

www.DurhamApplianceThrift.com

#9 Applianceman97

Applianceman97

Baby Sensei

• Grand Master Funk
  • 2,073 posts

Posted 26 January 2014 - 09:35 AM

You usually have to hold the temp alarm and lighting button. (Check fast track for diagnostic mode) once you have it diagnostic mode the unit should fire up. Then proceed to fix the error.

If the unit loses power again it will do the same thing. Did you find the error on the fast track?
If you end up checking thermistors, do not open any of the doors before you test them at the door. Opening any compartment doors before testing the thermistors will make the reading inaccurate.

#10 Sunlight Appliance

Sunlight Appliance

Sōhei

• Grasshoppah
  • PipPipPip
  • 209 posts

Posted 28 January 2014 - 03:46 AM

So far so good. I will let you know if an issue arises and post results. Thank you for the guidance.

Recent blog entries on this topic

Photo

Helpful Tips and Tricks for Troubleshooting Samsung Refrigerators

By Samurai Appliance Repair Man in Samurai Appliance Repair Man's Blog, on 26 January 2014 - 01:38 PM

Troubleshooting Samsung refrigerators can be a head-fake for Appliantologists who aren't used to some of their special quirks. If you know just a few tips, it can really facilitate your troubleshooting and even keep you from faking yourself out or running down rabbit holes.

Brother Durham has put together a short list of some very helpful tips and trick...

Read Full Entry →

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Use the Appliantology Parts Finder to Get What You Need!
Enter a model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

Your Sometimes-Lucid Host:
Samurai Appliance Repair Man
"If I can't help you fix your appliance and make you 100% satisfied, I will come to your home and slice open my belly,
spilling my steaming entrails onto your floor."

The Appliance Guru | Master Samurai Tech

Real Time Analytics