Use this Search Box to Find Appliance Repair Help Now
Need help finding your model number?
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Welcome to Appliantology.org, the Web's Premiere Appliance Repair Resource for DIYers!

The world-famous Samurai Appliance Repair Forums

You can post a question and get repair help for FREE! Click here to get started.

Already a member of the Appliantology Academy? Just sign in with your username and password in the upper right-hand corner of the screen.

Photo

Whats your favorite fancy tester

Tester.

• Please log in to reply
33 replies to this topic

#1 applianceman97

applianceman97

Baby Sensei

• Grand Master Funk
  • 1,605 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Citrus Mistress

Posted 23 January 2014 - 02:15 PM

Durham and i were voxing yesterday about all the different testers out there. He loves the Whirlpool 240v plug testers. I think my favorite is the IMT1 modular ice maker tester. Whats your favorite fancy tester???

Kicks major Samsung booty first, asks diagnostic questions later.

http://www.tandnappliance.com

Use the Appliantology Parts Search Box to Find What You Need!
Enter your model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

#2 certified tech group 51

certified tech group 51

Sensei

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,513 posts

Posted 24 January 2014 - 11:15 AM

That would be like asking a parent " Who is their favorite child"?????..............Testers . I got Testers, A lot of testers........If some one lists a new 'Testing Device '...Who do you think is going to get one...... :thumbsup: ....Water system P.S.I. gauge.....Keypad tester......... G.E. refer console tester................... Meg-O-Meter,..............The Samurai listed one a while ago, I gots me one......A tester is another tool to help diagnose / test a system more quickly.........It took me the longest time to get over my little problem of stopping by the Snap-On or the Mac truck and buying tools...."But I am feeling much better now"....Some time I get the shakes if the Mac truck stops at the auto shop next to my shop, But some times the pull is just to great................I find my self in the truck with a new tool in my hand................Nice grip, cool to the touch, just waiting to be put to use.........So yes, there are no one favorite tester or tools I use................

#3 applianceman97

applianceman97

Baby Sensei

• Grand Master Funk
  • 1,605 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Citrus Mistress

Posted 24 January 2014 - 11:19 AM

I have heard of this sickness you have. I believe I'm coming down with it. I find myself browsing every tool section in every store I go to. This forum does not help the illness, just makes it worse. I agree, all testers and shiny new tools are amazing! I just have to have every cool thing I can find. Well gotta run I think I see see the snap-on truck!!!

Kicks major Samsung booty first, asks diagnostic questions later.

http://www.tandnappliance.com

#4 BryanS

BryanS

Senpai

• Chief Appliantologist
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 896 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:I don't drink

Posted 24 January 2014 - 10:41 PM

I was wondering who made that 240v outlet tester. Thanks to this post I know :) Anyone know of anyone else that makes a tester like that Whirlpool 240v tester? That sucker is pricey. Best price I found for it was $121 +$5 shipping on Amazon.

#5 wishfultech

wishfultech

Yamabushi

• Grasshoppah
  • PipPip
  • 79 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:iced tea

Posted 25 January 2014 - 08:14 AM

I know it would not look ''professional'' but it seems it would not be hard to make a 240 volt tester plus you could have the satisfaction of making it yourself.Customer might think it is some kind of gimmick though.The problem I have seen many times have to be diagnosed with the cover off so if you are going to go to the trouble of taking the cover off you may as well use your meter.Like most of you I am addicted to tools and testers.I have been impressed by techs with all sorts of fancy tools and gadgets but there is no replacement for knowledge and experience.Years ago my mentor in hvac carried just a few basic tools and an analog meter.But ,He knew his stuff.I was more impressed by that than his tools.I wish better tools could make me a better tech.I do use a set of digital gauges and I think that has been a plus.I believe even Warren would like them R.I.P.

#6 DurhamAppliance

DurhamAppliance

Sho' Nuff Chozin

• Grand Master Funk
  • 4,409 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Bells Two Hearted

Posted 25 January 2014 - 11:22 AM

Applianceman, I never said it was my favorite tester, just that I like it

Wishful, I have to disagree with you.

1) First you don't have to take the cover off to test the outlet and now with the tester, I never have to take a cover off

2) it is easier to show a customer a problem with the tester as opppse to a meter

3) You can discover things with the tester much faster than you can with a meter:
On three ocassions I've quickly found a problem using the tester. Two times licensed electricians swore the problem was the dryer. They used their meters and got the proper voltage at the meter and at the dryer.

this is what I found on one....

I usually don't remove the cover... That's not my job. I did so then just to make the video. When the electrician used his meter, his probe touched the leg and thought all was well. If he took the cover off he would have found it.

The other occassion the clamps inside the outlet simply did not hold the plug tightly... shaking the tester caused one of the lights to blink when a meter could not do that. You would have to access the block then probe the wires while shaking the plug.

This is also more useful when you sell and install appliances. I received a call from a snobby customer who purchased a dryer for one of her rentals. After installation, I showed the tenant there was a problem and showed him what the tester revealed... bad leg. The snobby landlord customer, who happened to be a home inspector, said we sold them junk and to meet her at the house. Showing off, she grabbed her Fieldpiece meter and probed the outlet... 240v.

I went to my truck, intentionally left all my fancy meters in the truck, took the little 4 pronged tester in... put it in the outlet and shook it. The tester showed a line drop... right along with her jaw. Priceless.

The other point you made suggests a premise that leads to an erroneous assumption. You said there is no replacememt for knowledge and experience. I agree, but one who has knowledge and experience yet fails to hone his craft or refuses to continually look for a better method, lacks wisdom.

Using a tester and needing a tester are two different things altogether, Like the Im1 tester applianceman discusses. I love it, I use it but I can also perform meter tests on the ports with the best of them.

I imagine many who now no longer walk this earth have thought much the same and have said something like "those American Navy Seals can't be any good since they use all those hign tech weapons."

Durham Appliance Thrift & Repair, LLC

www.DurhamApplianceThrift.com

#7 DurhamAppliance

DurhamAppliance

Sho' Nuff Chozin

• Grand Master Funk
  • 4,409 posts

Posted 25 January 2014 - 11:28 AM

I was wondering who made that 240v outlet tester. Thanks to this post I know :) Anyone know of anyone else that makes a tester like that Whirlpool 240v tester? That sucker is pricey. Best price I found for it was $121 +$5 shipping on Amazon.

Remember, you get a three prong tester and a four prong tester... so look at it as if it they are $60 a piece.

#8 BryanS

BryanS

Senpai

• Chief Appliantologist
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 896 posts

Posted 25 January 2014 - 11:33 AM

Thanks for that video. I've used my 120v tester one time to show a customer they had a bad ground. No questions about it after I showed the lights and what it meant. The whirlpool 240v tester seems well worth it as well. It just bugs me you can buy the 120v testers all day for under $10 and that 240v tester kit costs way more. I've yet to find another 240v tester like that, so I guess they can name their price.

#9 wishfultech

wishfultech

Yamabushi

• Grasshoppah
  • PipPip
  • 79 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:iced tea

Posted 25 January 2014 - 07:20 PM

Durham, I didn't mean to run down your tester! I don't see why it would be an issue taking a cover off.Re wire a circuit no but remove a screw and take off a cover ,why not? I bet it was a great feeling though proving your point. I made a continuity tester that I like .I saw one a guy had made and I liked it so much, I made one myself.I might just buy me one of those 240 testers too!

#10 DurhamAppliance

DurhamAppliance

Sho' Nuff Chozin

• Grand Master Funk
  • 4,409 posts

Posted 25 January 2014 - 08:03 PM

Well there is no real point for me to take off the cover. I can't fix an outlet problem. That's not saying I don't know how to fix the problem, I've wired several of my rental properties to code (of course my electrician signed off on my work) but I am not licensed to do it and NC requires a license to repair an outlet.

Btw you can run down the tester. That aint no biggie and it's ones choice to use it or not. I simply said it is a good tool. But to intimate that one is not knowledgeable or experienced because he uses such a tool is illogical. As a matter of fact, each of those electricians that watched me prove them wrong said, "Man, I need to get one of those."

When I was heavy into the rental renovation business, I heard the same thing from supposed seasoned painters..." if you are good, you don't need a spray gun and from carpenters... "if you know what you are doing, you don't need a nail gun." Eventually, when they try it... "man, I should have been using this thing long ago."

ps I heard from one seasoned tech that if you use a digital multimeter as opposed to an analog meter, that means you just aint that good.

Edited by DurhamAppliance, 25 January 2014 - 08:23 PM.

#11 dtechryan

dtechryan

IkkĊ-ikki

• Professional Appliantologist
  • PipPip
  • 31 posts

Posted 26 January 2014 - 03:13 PM

It doesn't directly deal with appliances - but my favorite testing thingy is my semiconductor tester:

http://shop.anatekco.../?back=products

Great if you do any circuit board work.  Their capacitor tester is awesome too - and it will auto-discharge the caps - so no more shock!

Apart form that - the 120v outlet testers have saved my butt many times already.  Once or twice a month I find a home with bad wiring and it saves a lot of time and frustration.  Plus - they are easy to read and they show the customer that there is a problem in a simple to understand way.

#12 olyteddy

olyteddy

Kohai

• Sublime Master of Appliantology
  • PipPipPip
  • 300 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Earl Grey

Posted 26 January 2014 - 09:36 PM

My favorite tester is probably my least fancy one, my Klein voltage detector. I always have it handy (in my shirt pocket) and it can do so much more than merely saving your life by telling you the power is off. With a bit of understanding you can use it to diagnose many dishwasher, washing machine, fridge, range and microwave problems.

2009-01-05-Non-Contact-Voltage-Tester-PR

Edited by olyteddy, 26 January 2014 - 09:37 PM.

#13 DurhamAppliance

DurhamAppliance

Sho' Nuff Chozin

• Grand Master Funk
  • 4,409 posts

Posted 26 January 2014 - 10:06 PM

I'm with you on that O-T, but I did replace my Klein voltage tester with the Greenlee with Adjustable sensitivity. The sensitivity adjustment is worth its weight in gold when trying to home in on the exact live wire when other live wires are close by.

http://www.amazon.co...r/dp/B001QIJOW0

#14 olyteddy

olyteddy

Kohai

• PipPipPip
  • 300 posts

Posted 26 January 2014 - 10:43 PM

I can see where sensitivity adjustment could be handy. I bought the Klein because of the triple a batteries and because you can stick it in an outlet and it beeps loud enough I can hear it back at the fusebox. My service calls aren't always strictly appliance, they often include electrical work too. Maybe next time I run this one through the washer I'll try a Greenlee... :wink:

#15 DurhamAppliance

DurhamAppliance

Sho' Nuff Chozin

• Grand Master Funk
  • 4,409 posts

Posted 26 January 2014 - 10:50 PM

yeah the greenlee uses tripple A also... I hate the ones with the watch batteries. And it is quite loud.. about as loud as the Klein .. I use it when finding unlabeled outlets at the breaker box as well. It seems to me we have the same criteria for voltage testers.

Never been a big fan of greenlee and would normally chose Klein over Greenlee any day of the week, but they did a great job with the adjustable tester. I know you have opened a freezer door to check for power and your tester starts chirping immediately. That's when I turn the sensitivity way down and check the proper circuit. Also you turn it off by using the rotary switch and not by rotating the cap as found in some testers... i always turn those caps too far and they pop off.

Edited by DurhamAppliance, 26 January 2014 - 11:02 PM.

#16 BryanS

BryanS

Senpai

• Chief Appliantologist
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 896 posts

Posted 26 January 2014 - 11:01 PM

My favorite tester is the two finger tester. I just lick the tips of my fingers and gently place them across two wires. Then I know if there is power :)

I do have a funny story about someone testing power with their fingers on accident. When I was in tech school for my job in the military. We had this guy named Evan. Well one day we were learning how to test a MD4 generator. Ole Evan couldn't quite steady the meter lead on the terminal, so he readjusts his grip while saying let me steady it. Poor Evan got zapped haha. When he went to steady it he moved his fingers onto the metal point of the meter probe :) The best part is we got stationed at the same base, and I told everyone the story. He didn't find it as funny as I did. Just let me steady it are his famous words.

My favorite tester is my Fluke 116. Tests dc, ac, capacitors, and even has a temperature probe attachment. Plus it has a nice magnet to attach it to the fridge back while I make my tests.

Edited by BryanS, 26 January 2014 - 11:03 PM.

#17 DurhamAppliance

DurhamAppliance

Sho' Nuff Chozin

• Grand Master Funk
  • 4,409 posts

Posted 26 January 2014 - 11:12 PM

Lol Evan was in essence a contact tester. You guys needed a non contact tester like the klein or Greenlee... fluke makes non contact testers as well but I never tried one.

With regards to the Fluke 116 meter, it's my favorite meter as well. It doesn't have some of the features as those real expensive flukes (not that I could afford one to know for certain) but it does a heck of a job. The magnetic hanger is great and far superior than the hanger on the equivalent fieldpiece meter. That's the main reason my fieldpiece is a backup.

ps on second thought, why would you need to buy a non-contact voltage tester when you have an Evan? lol

Edited by DurhamAppliance, 26 January 2014 - 11:14 PM.

#18 BryanS

BryanS

Senpai

• Chief Appliantologist
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 896 posts

Posted 26 January 2014 - 11:30 PM

Haha. Right. Evan and I graduated basic at the same time and tech school together. Boy was he thrilled when we got the same base....Not! He also hated being called Evan. He preferred his last name only. Let's just say our whole shop started calling him Evan after they found out he hated it. Good times we had. I even got attacked from behind by Evan one day because he was trying to make fun of me and it backfired so he got mad. Then proceeded to punch me in the back about 3-4 times and I laughed at him as he yelled thats what you get. I'm overweight (270lbs) but Ive been into weightlifting off and on for years, so punching my back isn't going to do much damage. Believe it or not we were friends though, but he was a very angry person at times :) To bad I don't have that rare Evan voltage tester anymore. Maybe I'll make a testing attachment called the Evan. It will be a molded hand that holds your probe for you by the metal tip so you do not get shocked, and you can keep it nice and steady.

I initially purchased the fluke 116 and the 322 amprobe as a kit when I first got into HVAC. I may need to get it calibrated soon. It is 5 years old and I'm pretty sure the temperature reading is off. I even bought a new probe, but it was giving me false readings that were way off from my other thermometers. A new probe didn't fix it either.
I may be wrong on the amp meter model #. It's cold and I'm not going out to check

#19 olyteddy

olyteddy

Kohai

• PipPipPip
  • 300 posts

Posted 26 January 2014 - 11:43 PM

Here's another one:

suicide-adapter.jpg

Edited by olyteddy, 26 January 2014 - 11:44 PM.

#20 BryanS

BryanS

Senpai

• Chief Appliantologist
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 896 posts

Posted 27 January 2014 - 12:03 AM

Nice

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Use the Appliantology Parts Finder to Get What You Need!
Enter a model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.

Your Sometimes-Lucid Host:
Samurai Appliance Repair Man
"If I can't help you fix your appliance and make you 100% satisfied, I will come to your home and slice open my belly,
spilling my steaming entrails onto your floor."

The Appliance Guru | AppliancePartsResource.com | Samurai's Blog

Real Time Analytics