Use this Search Box to Find Appliance Repair Help Now
Need help finding your model number?
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Boot Camp | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Welcome to Appliantology.org, the Web's Premiere Appliance Repair Resource for DIYers!

The world-famous Samurai Appliance Repair Forums

You can post a question and get repair help for FREE! Click here to get started.

Already a member of the Appliantology Academy? Just sign in with your username and password in the upper right-hand corner of the screen.

Photo

Whats your favorite fancy tester

Tester.

• Please log in to reply
33 replies to this topic

#21 DurhamAppliance

DurhamAppliance

Sho' Nuff Chozin

• Grand Master Funk
  • 4,375 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Bells Two Hearted

Posted 27 January 2014 - 12:29 AM

Just did a quick video on some Non contact voltage testers.... Youtube is processing it now and it should be live in a moment or so.

Durham Appliance Thrift & Repair, LLC

www.DurhamApplianceThrift.com

Use the Appliantology Parts Search Box to Find What You Need!
Enter your model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

#22 DurhamAppliance

DurhamAppliance

Sho' Nuff Chozin

• Grand Master Funk
  • 4,375 posts

Posted 27 January 2014 - 12:41 AM

here is the video http://appliantology...tage-detectors/

Edited by DurhamAppliance, 27 January 2014 - 09:57 AM.

#23 BryanS

BryanS

Senpai

• Chief Appliantologist
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 873 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:I don't drink

Posted 27 January 2014 - 12:53 AM

Cool. I have the Fluke version of that tester. It isn't adjustable like that greenlee. I never really used it much. That was mainly due to my bag being a huge mess from rushing around so much.

#24 micabay

micabay

Senpai

• Sublime Master of Appliantology
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 665 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Drifter Pale Ale

Posted 27 January 2014 - 08:39 PM

My favorite tester is the two finger tester. I just lick the tips of my fingers and gently place them across two wires. Then I know if there is power :)

I do have a funny story about someone testing power with their fingers on accident. When I was in tech school for my job in the military. We had this guy named Evan. Well one day we were learning how to test a MD4 generator. Ole Evan couldn't quite steady the meter lead on the terminal, so he readjusts his grip while saying let me steady it. Poor Evan got zapped haha. When he went to steady it he moved his fingers onto the metal point of the meter probe :) The best part is we got stationed at the same base, and I told everyone the story. He didn't find it as funny as I did. Just let me steady it are his famous words.

My favorite tester is my Fluke 116. Tests dc, ac, capacitors, and even has a temperature probe attachment. Plus it has a nice magnet to attach it to the fridge back while I make my tests.

My only Multimeter is the also the Fluke 116.  It's great for checking the differentials of ovens!!

#25 dtechryan

dtechryan

IkkĊ-ikki

• Professional Appliantologist
  • PipPip
  • 31 posts

Posted 29 January 2014 - 06:51 PM

Another tool I can't live without is my Kill-A-Watt.  I don't know if it counts as a 'fancy tester' - but it is very convenient. 

http://www.p3interna...ucts/p4400.html

Awesome for microwaves and refrigerators.  I can tell immediately if I have a bad HV section on the Microwave or if the compressor is going bad without having to open anything up.  You can also tell if a heating element is coming on without having to take apart the fridge. 

Plus - you can get a quick readout on the power at a customer's house.  First tool I pull out 90% of the time!

#26 DurhamAppliance

DurhamAppliance

Sho' Nuff Chozin

• Grand Master Funk
  • 4,375 posts

Posted 29 January 2014 - 07:17 PM

one of my favorites also. I always make room for it in my tool bag

#27 wishfultech

wishfultech

Yamabushi

• Grasshoppah
  • PipPip
  • 79 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:iced tea

Posted 30 January 2014 - 08:48 PM

I have looked at the Kill a Watt myself.Sounds like a great diagnostic tool.I did see a video where the tech used the Kill a Watt to see if the defrost heater was working.

#28 DurhamAppliance

DurhamAppliance

Sho' Nuff Chozin

• Grand Master Funk
  • 4,375 posts

Posted 31 January 2014 - 03:16 AM

you mean this one?

silly me, I should have shown the amperage on the meter after the repair while the limit was bypassed or blasted frozen with an upside down can of compressed air

Edited by DurhamAppliance, 31 January 2014 - 02:36 PM.

#29 wishfultech

wishfultech

Yamabushi

• Grasshoppah
  • PipPip
  • 79 posts

Posted 31 January 2014 - 10:25 AM

Yea that's the video I was talking about. It would have been good to see the amp draw after the repair.Why not do another video sometimes on the Kiil a Watt ?

#30 DurhamAppliance

DurhamAppliance

Sho' Nuff Chozin

• Grand Master Funk
  • 4,375 posts

Posted 31 January 2014 - 02:35 PM

Yea that's the video I was talking about. It would have been good to see the amp draw after the repair.Why not do another video sometimes on the Kiil a Watt ?

okay, but need some input on how you would use it for microwaves.

Edited by DurhamAppliance, 31 January 2014 - 02:35 PM.

#31 BryanS

BryanS

Senpai

• Chief Appliantologist
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 873 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:I don't drink

Posted 31 January 2014 - 02:49 PM

Well this appliance book I have says most microwaves pull 15 amps if the mag and all is running. Wouldn't you be able to plug it in the kill a watt and look for an amperage around there.

Edited by BryanS, 31 January 2014 - 02:49 PM.

#32 electro_doc

electro_doc

Senpai

• Sublime Master of Appliantology
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 733 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:orange juice

Posted 31 January 2014 - 05:45 PM

Why not just use an amp prob?  The kind with the swivel end works really good for micro waves and checking deft heaters.  I've made a little extention about a foot long to plug into the wall and then plug in whatever I want the check.  The cord is split to just slip on the amp prob.  Works great for me.

#33 wishfultech

wishfultech

Yamabushi

• Grasshoppah
  • PipPip
  • 79 posts

Posted 31 January 2014 - 06:36 PM

I have a cord like that myself.

#34 DurhamAppliance

DurhamAppliance

Sho' Nuff Chozin

• Grand Master Funk
  • 4,375 posts

Posted 31 January 2014 - 11:15 PM

yeah, they talked about a cord like that to use a kilawatt on a microwave oven during the Basic Electricity class at ASTI. But since I don't repair microwaves, I was passing notes and shooting spitballs during that part of the class.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Boot Camp | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Use the Appliantology Parts Finder to Get What You Need!
Enter a model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.

Your Sometimes-Lucid Host:
Samurai Appliance Repair Man
"If I can't help you fix your appliance and make you 100% satisfied, I will come to your home and slice open my belly,
spilling my steaming entrails onto your floor."

The Appliance Guru | AppliancePartsResource.com | Samurai's Blog

Real Time Analytics