Learn appliance repair at the Samurai Tech Academy.  Learn more.  Earn more.

Parts Search
Site Search

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Welcome to Appliantology.org, the Web's Premiere Appliance Repair Resource!

The world-famous Samurai Appliance Repair Forums

To get started, click here.

Already a member of the Appliantology Academy? Just sign in with your username and password in the upper right-hand corner of the screen.

Photo

Whats your favorite fancy tester

Tester.

• Please log in to reply
51 replies to this topic

#41 BryanS

BryanS

Sensei

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,328 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:I don't drink

Posted 25 October 2014 - 09:50 PM

Thanks. That's what I thought because I really couldn't find any different whirlpool tester anyway. My shop is transitioning me into working on dryers now. Just happened to check ebay and found those for a good price so I figured why not :)

Use the Appliantology Parts Search Box to Find What You Need!
Enter your model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

#42 Applianceman97

Applianceman97

Baby Sensei

• Grand Master Funk
  • 2,084 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Fresh Squeezed IPA

Posted 26 October 2014 - 02:53 AM

I use that Ge diagnostic tool all the time. It's worth the money. I actually got my display out of an old refrigerator. Worth every penny

Kicks major Samsung booty first, asks diagnostic questions later.

http://www.justintimeappliance.com

#43 BryanS

BryanS

Sensei

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,328 posts

Posted 26 October 2014 - 07:26 AM

I use that Ge diagnostic tool all the time. It's worth the money. I actually got my display out of an old refrigerator. Worth every penny

Sounds good. It's main use is for the GE with the manual knobs right? Do you usually hook into the connector under the grill or what? I really never knew how to run diagnostics on a GE until I was browsing through some GE troubleshooting files on here and thought it might come in handy for testing defrost. Instead of pulling the fridge out and jumping the heater like I usually to help defrost or do my ohm checks. At least know I know how to run diagnostics on the ones already equipped with the display. I wanted to be able to run a diagnostic on a GE SxS dual evap inverter compressor fridge the other day because I wasn't convinced it was running full speed. The freezer temp controls were on the door though, and was a lot different then I'd ever seen. I'd be curious to know if I plugged up the diagnostic tool if it would work in place of the door display. The board looked like the basic one used for the older dual evap units. Either way, I ended up installing a dye drier thinking it was a leak issue, and they haven't called me back for it not cooling yet.. Going back this week to look for dye, but I find it doubtful I'll find anything. It seemed to still have a decent amount of refrigerant still in it.

Ideally it would be nice to get a display off of a junked GE fridge, but most of those tthat come in are easily fixed and resold.

Edited by BryanS, 26 October 2014 - 07:25 AM.

#44 DurhamAppliance

DurhamAppliance

Sho' Nuff Chozin

• Grand Master Funk
  • 5,083 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Bells Two Hearted

Posted 26 October 2014 - 08:24 AM

it will work on most all GE profiles and arcticas. If the fridge has only a 4 button control (you need five buttons on the control to enter diagnostics), or has a dispenser control (they have very limited on board diagnostics) , you must plug the diagnostic panel into the j4 connector on the board. Doing this means you have removed the connction to the fridge's control panel, elimnating interefence. For models with dials, you can connect it to the connector at the hinge.

Durham Appliance Thrift & Repair, LLC

www.DurhamApplianceThrift.com

#45 BryanS

BryanS

Sensei

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,328 posts

Posted 26 October 2014 - 08:42 AM

Thanks. Yea, the fridge I was on had the dispenser buttons. I want to say it had like 6 buttons. It didn't have the regular up and down temp setting. It had a temp setting them you switched from fridge to freezer to set your 0 and 37 temps.

#46 DurhamAppliance

DurhamAppliance

Sho' Nuff Chozin

• Grand Master Funk
  • 5,083 posts

Posted 26 October 2014 - 08:59 AM

Yeah, you have to plug it into the board. The 4 button controls I mentioned look exactly like the test panel and is found in the ff section. Many times I have found manuals for these fridges explain how to get into diagnostic mode only to find there isn't a fifth button to activate the diagnostics. On dispenser models like the one you are working on, the manuals correctly explain how to get into diagnostic mode but say it is very limited and then advises using the test panel instead.

#47 BryanS

BryanS

Sensei

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,328 posts

Posted 26 October 2014 - 10:14 AM

Sounds good. I'm going to talk to my boss on Monday to see if I can go ahead and order the parts if I buy them. I'd rather the tester be mine anyway.

#48 MicaBay

MicaBay

Master Roaster

• Sublime Master of Appliantology
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 829 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Drifter Pale Ale

Posted 27 October 2014 - 10:36 PM

Just looked up the WP 240volt outlet tester. It is about $40 each for us. Not to shabby.

#49 BryanS

BryanS

Sensei

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,328 posts

Posted 28 October 2014 - 05:21 AM

Just looked up the WP 240volt outlet tester. It is about $40 each for us. Not to shabby.

Yea, if you get it from a parts supplier. I think Marcone had it for $84.

#50 BryanS

BryanS

Sensei

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,328 posts

Posted 31 October 2014 - 05:10 PM

Sooo did anyone else's outlet tester come with a lanyard that attaches both testers together? It just looks like a lanyard to me, and I want them seperated.

#51 DurhamAppliance

DurhamAppliance

Sho' Nuff Chozin

• Grand Master Funk
  • 5,083 posts

Posted 01 November 2014 - 01:50 AM

No, mine came separated.

#52 BryanS

BryanS

Sensei

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,328 posts

Posted 01 November 2014 - 06:26 AM

Interesting. I may just cut it off. I don't think it has anything to do with the operation of the testers. It's almost like they did it so could keep them together and not lose one of the other. I can see what looks like a screw under the overlay that holds the landyard/cable on.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Use the Appliantology Parts Finder to Get What You Need!
Enter a model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

Your Sometimes-Lucid Host:
Samurai Appliance Repair Man
"If I can't help you fix your appliance and make you 100% satisfied, I will come to your home and slice open my belly,
spilling my steaming entrails onto your floor."

The Appliance Guru | Master Samurai Tech

Real Time Analytics