Use this Search Box to Find Appliance Repair Help Now
Need help finding your model number?
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Welcome to Appliantology.org, the Web's Premiere Appliance Repair Resource for DIYers!

The world-famous Samurai Appliance Repair Forums

You can post a question and get repair help for FREE! Click here to get started.

Already a member of the Appliantology Academy? Just sign in with your username and password in the upper right-hand corner of the screen.

Photo

GE jtp27woa1ww - Flash, pop, trip

oven

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 wandering_burr

wandering_burr

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 16 posts

Posted 25 January 2014 - 12:51 PM

Double in wall oven. Two weeks ago I had an F9 error code which I reset and hasn't re-appeared. The error code has to do with the Door Lock circuit which didn't seem too problematic. Last night while running the top oven at 425 and the lower at 200 for a dinner party we had a bright flash with a 'pop' noise which tripped the breaker. The acrid smell of electronics filled the kitchen.

Last night we left things dark and I investigated this morning. Upon reseting the breaker the oven lit up and even heats (at least for the 30 seconds I had it on for my test).

A little google bird claims that it might be a clogged fan intake that requires me to pull the oven out of the wall to clean. But that flash and smell makes me think that something electronic is burned out somewhere.

What would you recommend I do?

Hmm, I'm sure there should be an edit post button here somwhere but I don't see it. I wanted to add that the ovens are about 17 years old with moderate use. The main control board was replaced about six years ago.

Use the Appliantology Parts Search Box to Find What You Need!
Enter your model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

#2 Samurai Appliance Repair Man

Samurai Appliance Repair Man

Shōgun

• Fermented Grand Master
  • 28,795 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Sapporo Original Draft Rice Lager

Posted 25 January 2014 - 04:18 PM

Grasshoppers may not edit their posts; that is one of the many perks and privileges reserved for Apprentices and Appliantologists:  http://apprentice.appliantology.org/

Usually, things that go pop-flash in the night are visible. You may want to disassemble the control panel and have a look at the control board and the door latch assembly. Also check the elements to make sure they aren't visibly burnt.

The service manual would be a great asset to have for this repair Odyssey.  Here it is:  http://appliantology...eries-31-20234/

You will need to upgrade your membership to download it.

#3 wandering_burr

wandering_burr

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 16 posts

Posted 25 January 2014 - 07:10 PM

IMG_4774.jpg

I opened 'er up and there is no evidence of scorch or other visible clues of a problem. The Oven Control Board smells like burnt plastic but there is no visible damage on the exterior except in the upper left corner of the display there is a scorch mark. I don't know if that is new or old. As I wrote the control board starts up the oven and seems to function fine.

While I had it open I visually inspected the rear fan intake and it looks fine, no blockage. I have noticed that the fan doesn't seem to turn on unless the ovens have been on for quite some time. Can you tell me at what temp it is suppsed to activate at? I wonder if that sensor is faulty and the Control Board has been cooked to the point it has faults.

The control board also has lots of items that are not visible without further dissembly--but that task appears to be possibly a one way trip with brittle plastic tabs to pry open.

#4 Samurai Appliance Repair Man

Shōgun

• Fermented Grand Master
  • 28,795 posts

Posted 25 January 2014 - 07:18 PM

The front plastic fascia of the Control Panel generally will not show the scorching that may or may not be there. The scorching, if present, would typically be on the back of the PCB board where the solder joints are. You would need to unclip and unfold the PCB in order to fully examine it. If the oven is operating within design parameters, then the wisdom of doing this could be dubious or at least more trouble than it's worth.  

#5 wandering_burr

wandering_burr

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 16 posts

Posted 25 January 2014 - 08:00 PM

Hmmm, free light show last night while cooking. Today it appears to be working as designed again.

Should I go back to using the oven and see what happens next? Or is the free light show likely a precursor to a larger electrical problem that needs professional inspection?  I wouldn't mind spending the $200 on a new board if it is likely the culprit--but if the board fried because of another piece of the oven that could be wasted money....

I am understanding the concept of 'aggro dollars' better today than i did yesterday.

#6 Samurai Appliance Repair Man

Shōgun

• Fermented Grand Master
  • 28,795 posts

Posted 25 January 2014 - 08:06 PM

Ichiban Law of Appliance Repair: Don't "fix" what ain't broke!

Use the range as is see what happens. You're not gonna make it "more broke."

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Use the Appliantology Parts Finder to Get What You Need!
Enter a model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.

Your Sometimes-Lucid Host:
"If I can't help you fix your appliance and make you 100% satisfied, I will come to your home and slice open my belly,
spilling my steaming entrails onto your floor."

The Appliance Guru | AppliancePartsResource.com | Samurai's Blog

Real Time Analytics