Learn appliance repair at the Samurai Tech Academy.  Learn more.  Earn more.

Parts Search
Site Search

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Welcome to Appliantology.org, the Web's Premiere Appliance Repair Resource!

The world-famous Samurai Appliance Repair Forums

To get started, click here.

Already a member of the Appliantology Academy? Just sign in with your username and password in the upper right-hand corner of the screen.

Photo

GE Profile Gas Dryer - DPSR475GW0WW - heats, dries but timer doesn't advance in 'auto'

DPSR475GW0WW GE Profile timer auto

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 josey23

josey23

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Iron City Beer

Posted 28 January 2014 - 01:17 AM

I have a 10+ year old GE Profile gas dryer that has been great until recently:

The timer does not advance in "auto" mode. The clothes dry just fine but the dryer will run for hours if I forget about it.

In "timer" mode the dryer works fine, although I either waste time (oops, not dry, another 20 minutes I guess) or energy (screw it, 80 minutes!) or both. I would like to get it working properly in auto mode again.

notes:

- The venting is good with only 6 feet of hard metal pipe (no plastic, no flexi-pipe). I took apart the dryer and everything is pretty lint-free.

- I don't use dryer sheets or fabric softener. The sensor bars are clean and show <0.2 ohm resistance.

- This problem has come up with the onset of really cold weather and the dryer area of the basement is probably around 55 degrees.

- I scanned the wiring diagram but don't know how to post it here

Guidance would be appreciated - I have a circuit tester and would like to confirm a problem before I start throwing new parts at this problem.

Use the Appliantology Parts Search Box to Find What You Need!
Enter your model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

#2 fairbank56

fairbank56

Sensei

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,023 posts

Posted 28 January 2014 - 09:13 AM

Does the burner cycle off/on during the cycle? If it doesn't, the timer will not advance in auto-dry. In auto-dry the timer only advances when burner is off or when it is near the end of cycle. May be that it's just too cold at dryer location.

Eric

#3 josey23

josey23

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 28 January 2014 - 04:41 PM

Does the burner cycle off/on during the cycle? If it doesn't, the timer will not advance in auto-dry. In auto-dry the timer only advances when burner is off or when it is near the end of cycle. May be that it's just too cold at dryer location.

Eric

I just did a full load of jeans and towels on the cotton setting, auto mode:

burner ON 19 minutes, off 1.5 minutes

burner ON 6 minutes, off 1.5 minutes

burner ON 4.5 minutes, off 1.5 minutes

burner ON 2.7 minutes, off 2.5 minutes

burner ON 3.5 minutes, off 3 minutes

burner ON 2 minutes, off 3 minutes

burner ON 2.3 minutes

That's a total of 53 minutes and typically how long a heavy load would take to get mostly dry. I opened door to check the load. The clothes were pretty dry but not all the way. Timer had not moved at all.

I restarted dryer and took a break from monitoring and promptly forgot all about it for 25 minutes. When I got back to it I observed: burner on for 2.7 minutes, burner off for 3.5 minutes and burner back on. At this point I opened to door to a load of fluffy, warm clothes. The timer had not moved at all. Still thinking on this….

#4 fairbank56

fairbank56

Sensei

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,023 posts

Posted 28 January 2014 - 07:03 PM

Need to monitor voltage between timer terminals TC and TF with dryer running in auto-cycle. Should be 0 with burner on and 120vac shortly after burner cycles off when flame sensor closes. If you do get 120vac there but timer won't advance during the time it's there, then timer is bad. If you don't get 120vac there at all then there is some other problem.

Eric

#5 josey23

josey23

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 28 January 2014 - 10:06 PM

Need to monitor voltage between timer terminals TC and TF with dryer running in auto-cycle. Should be 0 with burner on and 120vac shortly after burner cycles off when flame sensor closes. If you do get 120vac there but timer won't advance during the time it's there, then timer is bad. If you don't get 120vac there at all then there is some other problem.

I will try. The back of my timer has terminals labeled A, B, C, D, H, S, T and X.  The timer motor is attached to terminals D and T; is that what you mean?

I'd love to upload/post the wiring diagram but cannot figure out how to do it on this site. (help, anyone?)

#6 josey23

josey23

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 28 January 2014 - 10:28 PM

OK, here are two Drop Box links with the two sides of the wiring diagram for my dryer. I have a "three cycle" timer.

https://dl.dropboxus...ram 1 of 2.jpeg

#7 fairbank56

fairbank56

Sensei

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,023 posts

Posted 29 January 2014 - 12:27 AM

Sorry, parts lists showed mini-manual for your model as 31-15227, not 31-16006. Either your moisture rods are shorted out or the circuit board is bad. Unplug moisture rod connector and see if timer advances in auto-dry. If not, then board is bad. If it does advance, clean moisture rods.

Part number: AP3425413

Part number: AP3425413

Eric

Edited by Samurai Appliance Repair Man, 29 January 2014 - 11:19 AM.
Affiliated part link using the APP button.

#8 josey23

josey23

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 05 February 2014 - 12:31 AM

OK, I unplugged the moisture sensing rods and the timer did not advance. I will order the new circuit board.

I'll give an update when I get around to replacing it.

Sorry, parts lists showed mini-manual for your model as 31-15227, not 31-16006. Either your moisture rods are shorted out or the circuit board is bad. Unplug moisture rod connector and see if timer advances in auto-dry. If not, then board is bad. If it does advance, clean moisture rods.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Use the Appliantology Parts Finder to Get What You Need!
Enter a model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

Your Sometimes-Lucid Host:
Samurai Appliance Repair Man
"If I can't help you fix your appliance and make you 100% satisfied, I will come to your home and slice open my belly,
spilling my steaming entrails onto your floor."

The Appliance Guru | Master Samurai Tech

Real Time Analytics