Use this Search Box to Find Appliance Repair Help Now
Need help finding your model number?
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Welcome to Appliantology.org, the Web's Premiere Appliance Repair Resource for DIYers!

The world-famous Samurai Appliance Repair Forums

You can post a question and get repair help for FREE! Click here to get started.

Already a member of the Appliantology Academy? Just sign in with your username and password in the upper right-hand corner of the screen.

Photo

GE Refrigerator Model # TFX 25 JRYF - Ice at drain hole

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 gergrff

gergrff

Yamabushi

• Chief Appliantologist
  • PipPip
  • 65 posts

Posted 28 January 2014 - 01:07 PM

This refrigerator seems to be working fine except for the ice build up at the drain hole in the freezer. I have melted the ice at the drain area and down the tube twice. I have verified both times that the tube is

completely open. Since this ice builds up over time, a few drops of water end up on the floor - near the

left side under freezer door.

Could the defrost timer be malfunctioning and cause this problem. I would appreciate any ideas.

Thanks,

GG

Use the Appliantology Parts Search Box to Find What You Need!
Enter your model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

#2 Samurai Appliance Repair Man

Samurai Appliance Repair Man

Shōgun

• Fermented Grand Master
  • 28,831 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Sapporo Original Draft Rice Lager

Posted 28 January 2014 - 08:10 PM

I would suspect the simple and obvious first: check the door gaskets for trips, tears, and gaps. Poor sealing will allow warm, outside humid air into the compartment and cause excessive condensate formation.

#3 gergrff

gergrff

Yamabushi

• Chief Appliantologist
  • PipPip
  • 65 posts

Posted 29 January 2014 - 10:04 AM

Thanks for the reply.

I checked the door gaskets - everything looks good and it is sealing properly.

Seems like it is the condensate that comes off the evaporator coil during the defrost cycle. Looks as though it builds up over a period of time. It forms a block of ice that becomes taller than the ledge, and then the ice forms a trail under the bottom basket.

Would appreciate any ideas!

Thanks,

GG

#4 olyteddy

olyteddy

Kohai

• Sublime Master of Appliantology
  • PipPipPip
  • 300 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Earl Grey

Posted 29 January 2014 - 10:26 AM

Is it maybe one of the GE SXS fridges that had the single heater tube for defrost? If so, I believe the replacement heater to be a dual tube setup. I've put a couple of these in. 

#5 Samurai Appliance Repair Man

Shōgun

• Fermented Grand Master
  • 28,831 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Sapporo Original Draft Rice Lager

Posted 29 January 2014 - 11:18 AM

I believe the replacement heater to be a dual tube setup. I've put a couple of these in. 

Correctillia.  Here's the kit with the harness and defrost thermostat assembly:  Part number: AP2071465

Part number: AP2071465

#6 gergrff

gergrff

Yamabushi

• Chief Appliantologist
  • PipPip
  • 65 posts

Posted 29 January 2014 - 05:34 PM

I appreciate the reply.

I wanted to blame this problem on the defrost heater(s) or the defrost timer.

If the unit only has one defrost heater - Will it be apparent where to install the second one? Hopefully, there will be instructions with the kit.

Thanks for your assistance.

GG

#7 olyteddy

olyteddy

Kohai

• Sublime Master of Appliantology
  • PipPipPip
  • 300 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Earl Grey

Posted 30 January 2014 - 08:22 PM

The OP PMed me a question that I will answer here in the open because someone else may ask it.

Sorry to bother you, but I posted a question about my problem that never got answered. I have the GE TFX 25 JRYFWW refrigerator that has the condensate drain icing over. You suggested the defrost heater kit and said I may only have one defrost heater. My question is: Will it be apparent where to 
install the second defrost heater or will the instructions that come with the kit tell me? Thanks for your help,

The bracket with the dual heater is about the same as the old single one. The kit as I recall comes with instructions. If it doesn't then someone on this board probably has or can get a copy.

#8 gergrff

gergrff

Yamabushi

• Chief Appliantologist
  • PipPip
  • 65 posts

Posted 31 January 2014 - 06:30 AM

Olyteddy,

Thanks for the response to my question. I appreciate your help.

GG

#9 gergrff

gergrff

Yamabushi

• Chief Appliantologist
  • PipPip
  • 65 posts

Posted 11 February 2014 - 01:39 PM

I replaced the defrost thermostat and defrost heaters. Everything is working fine with no ice build up at the drain hole.

Thanks for the help.

GG

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Use the Appliantology Parts Finder to Get What You Need!
Enter a model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.

Your Sometimes-Lucid Host:
"If I can't help you fix your appliance and make you 100% satisfied, I will come to your home and slice open my belly,
spilling my steaming entrails onto your floor."

The Appliance Guru | AppliancePartsResource.com | Samurai's Blog

Real Time Analytics