Need appliance parts? Call 877-803-7957 now or use the parts search box:

Parts Search

Check out our online tech training courses at Master Samurai Tech…

Click here to check out our structured, online appliance repair training courses for rookies and experienced techs.

FAQs | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Podcast | Contact

Stay connected with us...

Samurai on Facebook - become a fan today! Sign up for our free newsletter and keep up with all things Appliantology. Subscribe to our YouTube channel for lots of appliance repair tips and help! Follow the Samurai on Twitter and get timely morsels of Appliantological Wisdom! Subscribe to our MST Radio podcast to learn secrets of the trade.
gergrff

GE Refrigerator Model # TFX 25 JRYF - Ice at drain hole

9 posts in this topic

This refrigerator seems to be working fine except for the ice build up at the drain hole in the freezer. I have melted the ice at the drain area and down the tube twice. I have verified both times that the tube is

completely open. Since this ice builds up over time, a few drops of water end up on the floor - near the

left side under freezer door.

Could the defrost timer be malfunctioning and cause this problem. I would appreciate any ideas.

Thanks,

GG

Need appliance parts? Call 877-803-7957 now!

I would suspect the simple and obvious first: check the door gaskets for trips, tears, and gaps. Poor sealing will allow warm, outside humid air into the compartment and cause excessive condensate formation.

Thanks for the reply.

I checked the door gaskets - everything looks good and it is sealing properly.

Seems like it is the condensate that comes off the evaporator coil during the defrost cycle. Looks as though it builds up over a period of time. It forms a block of ice that becomes taller than the ledge, and then the ice forms a trail under the bottom basket.

Would appreciate any ideas!

Thanks,

GG

Is it maybe one of the GE SXS fridges that had the single heater tube for defrost? If so, I believe the replacement heater to be a dual tube setup. I've put a couple of these in. 

I believe the replacement heater to be a dual tube setup. I've put a couple of these in. 

Correctillia.  Here's the kit with the harness and defrost thermostat assembly:  Part number: AP2071465

Part number: AP2071465

I appreciate the reply.

I wanted to blame this problem on the defrost heater(s) or the defrost timer.

If the unit only has one defrost heater - Will it be apparent where to install the second one? Hopefully, there will be instructions with the kit.

Thanks for your assistance.

GG

The OP PMed me a question that I will answer here in the open because someone else may ask it.

Sorry to bother you, but I posted a question about my problem that never got answered. I have the GE TFX 25 JRYFWW refrigerator that has the condensate drain icing over. You suggested the defrost heater kit and said I may only have one defrost heater. My question is: Will it be apparent where to 
install the second defrost heater or will the instructions that come with the kit tell me? Thanks for your help,

The bracket with the dual heater is about the same as the old single one. The kit as I recall comes with instructions. If it doesn't then someone on this board probably has or can get a copy.

Olyteddy,

Thanks for the response to my question. I appreciate your help.

GG

I replaced the defrost thermostat and defrost heaters. Everything is working fine with no ice build up at the drain hole.

Thanks for the help.

GG