Learn appliance repair at the Samurai Tech Academy.  Learn more.  Earn more.

Parts Search
Site Search

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Welcome to Appliantology.org, the Web's Premiere Appliance Repair Resource!

The world-famous Samurai Appliance Repair Forums

To get started, click here.

Already a member of the Appliantology Academy? Just sign in with your username and password in the upper right-hand corner of the screen.

Photo

Kenmore Refrigerator 106.56232400 frosting

Kenmore Refrigerator 106.5623

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 roberto

roberto

Yamabushi

• Chief Appliantologist
  • PipPip
  • 73 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:sam adams

Posted 29 January 2014 - 11:45 AM

We have encountered a difficult Kenmore Refrigerator 106.56232400 that continues to frost up in the upper third of the freezer section leading to the vents closing off due to frost/ice, resulting in a warm refrigerator side. At first glance we suspected warm air entering the freezer, but can find no source for warm air. The flap in the ice chute is working and sealing properly. The door seals look and test good. The evaporator has a good pattern, the thermistor and defrost heater are good and it appears to be defrosting, but the drain was clogged with ice that melted periodically on the kitchen floor. We thought about air enter from the drain tube. The ice maker is not connect to a water supply ( no water drips ) but it is totally covered in frost. We learned after being called back that other technicians have tried to solve this machine's issues.  Your thoughts, ideas or guidance will be appreciated. 

Use the Appliantology Parts Search Box to Find What You Need!
Enter your model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

#2 DurhamAppliance

DurhamAppliance

Sho' Nuff Chozin

• Grand Master Funk
  • 5,099 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Bells Two Hearted

Posted 29 January 2014 - 01:11 PM

Here are some possibilities

1 Check for air intrusion from the water fill tube.. This usually applies to non-indoor ice models where the tube is not connected, unplugged or missing and there is no tape covering the hole.

if your icemaker water feed tube line is disconnected from the valve, then this could be your problem.

2)something i discovererd recently and blogged about it. Although it was a ge, symptoms were similar. http://appliantology...mittent-fridge/

in essence, I did a lot of testing and was about to give up only to find the ice chute door was hanging open but occasionally. It looked good upon inspection but only discovered the problem after open and closing it several times. From now on I test that door several times, open it by hand as well and check to see if it closes each time. I guess I will call that an "ice chute door reversing test." Easy to miss and I was lucky again.

3) disconnect the icemaker completely, if its mold heater is staying on, it may be causing your problem... ive only this once but had similar symptoms.

Edited by DurhamAppliance, 29 January 2014 - 03:26 PM.

Durham Appliance Thrift & Repair, LLC

www.DurhamApplianceThrift.com

#3 PDuff

PDuff

Sensei

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,013 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Bud Ice (Yeah, I know)

Posted 29 January 2014 - 03:39 PM

Actually, this is a pretty common phenomenon on the Whirlpool made SxS IDI refrigerator, regardless of age.

Inspect the liner lip where it meets the cabinet edge at the front of both fresh food and freezer compartments.  Gaps can form between the liner and cabinet that can allow warm air intrusion that over time, will cause the air return located in the mullion just above the crisper drawers to ice up.  This stops the air circulation causing the diffuser and most of the freezer to frost up like a winter wonderland.  Eventually the defrost drain ices up, which just adds to the fun.

Whirlpool's recommended repair is to replace the spacers located at the upper corners of the cabinet and to apply food grade silicone sealant to the entire perimeter of the front liner lip of both compartments to seal any gaps, seen and unseen.  Usually just sealing the liner lips takes care of the problem.

Use care when deicing the air return.  The Styrofoam duct is fragile and once damaged or collapsed, no further repair is possible.  Use a steamer or hot water to clear.

#4 DurhamAppliance

DurhamAppliance

Sho' Nuff Chozin

• Grand Master Funk
  • 5,099 posts

Posted 29 January 2014 - 06:11 PM

i have never seen this.... is there a bulletin on this issue?

#5 lesguns

lesguns

Samanera

• Chief Appliantologist
  • Pip
  • 19 posts

Posted 30 January 2014 - 01:04 AM

service pointer 8178611-----2006

#6 DurhamAppliance

DurhamAppliance

Sho' Nuff Chozin

• Grand Master Funk
  • 5,099 posts

Posted 30 January 2014 - 06:21 AM

service pointer 8178611-----2006

cool.... it's in the dl section ... here ya go, roberto
http://appliantology...tions-and-tips/

it includes a number of things to check, including changing bi-metal (it may test ok but cutting in early or intermittent) and verifying location of bi-metal, replacing drain tube with p-trap.

Although not listed in the bulletin probably because WP isn't taking into consideration user error or tech incompetence, verify correct air flow direction. An incorrect fan blade /motor can cause these symptoms as well.

Edited by DurhamAppliance, 30 January 2014 - 06:53 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Use the Appliantology Parts Finder to Get What You Need!
Enter a model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

Your Sometimes-Lucid Host:
Samurai Appliance Repair Man
"If I can't help you fix your appliance and make you 100% satisfied, I will come to your home and slice open my belly,
spilling my steaming entrails onto your floor."

The Appliance Guru | Master Samurai Tech

Real Time Analytics