Need appliance parts? Call 877-803-7957 now or use the parts search box:

Parts Search

Check out our online tech training courses at Master Samurai Tech…

Click here to check out our structured, online appliance repair training courses for rookies and experienced techs.

FAQs | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Podcast | Contact

Stay connected with us...

Samurai on Facebook - become a fan today! Sign up for our free newsletter and keep up with all things Appliantology. Subscribe to our YouTube channel for lots of appliance repair tips and help! Follow the Samurai on Twitter and get timely morsels of Appliantological Wisdom! Subscribe to our MST Radio podcast to learn secrets of the trade.
Biggles

Whirlpool Front Loader model AWM 8121 - drum in friction with door bellows

7 posts in this topic

Machine is 12 years old and recently started making intermittent noises which appear to be getting progressively worse. Recently after finishing a spin cycle, when the front door was opened, a small amount of smoke came out.  On investigation the noise appears to come from the drum binding/rubbing on boot during a portion of every rotation. If I lubricate the rubber seal where it meets the drum with house hold detergent - then the noise goes away and the drum rotates smoothly. During a normal cycle it seems to make friction noise when rotating whenever water is not present in the drum. Appears not to be related to load.  I removed the front door bellows and inspected the rubber seal - it appears OK with no visual sign of abrasion.  Without the bellows attached, I put the machine through a long spin cycle - all was quiet and smooth. Drum seems equally spaced around the outer casing. The Drum seems solid with no wobble.  When I re assembled, the drum and the boot seem to sit OK with nothing obviously sagging.  However the drum still binds on the boot  for a small portion of a rotation.  I hesitate to change door bellows without understanding the root cause of problem - cause I wont have any change out of $100, and not sure the problem wont still be there.

Any help appreciated

Need appliance parts? Call 877-803-7957 now!

I don't think that model# is correct.

Is it the white plastic from the front of the tub?

Is there any play in the inner basket?  With the door open, see if you can up on the front lip of the inner basket.  If there is any play or looseness you may have a damaged spinner support on the rear of the tub.

Confirm AWM 8121 is the correct part number - the part number can be googled to find what it looks like - this is an Australian product and will therefore have a unique part number due to the fact we have 240Volt electrics.

There is no apparent play or looseness associated with the inner basket .   If I open the door and apply pressure to the drum lip, there is no evidence of any wobble or play in it - Im guessing the rear bearing is fine.

No it does not appear to be the white plastic.  The drum appears to be partially, but noisily binding on the rubber boot that bridges /seals from the outer drum enclosure  to the front  door opening surround - but only when the drum does not have water in it. - and for no discernible reason.

Hmmm.... I would have lost the money I'd have bet on loose drum.  

So if the problem only happens when the drum is out of water then the lack of weight must be bringing the drum/tub assembly up out of position. 

I can't pull up a drawing, but it sounds like the springs are bringing that assembly up and out?  So -- are the concrete counterweights fractured?  Are the support struts in good shape?