Learn appliance repair at the Samurai Tech Academy.  Learn more.  Earn more.

Use this Search Box to Find Appliance Repair Help Now
Need help finding your model number?
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Welcome to Appliantology.org, the Web's Premiere Appliance Repair Resource!

The world-famous Samurai Appliance Repair Forums

You can post a question and get repair help for FREE! Click here to get started.

Already a member of the Appliantology Academy? Just sign in with your username and password in the upper right-hand corner of the screen.

Photo

Whirlpool Front Loader model AWM 8121 - drum in friction with door bellows

friction noise smoke

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Biggles

Biggles

Unsui

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:James Boags Light

Posted 29 January 2014 - 10:12 PM

Machine is 12 years old and recently started making intermittent noises which appear to be getting progressively worse. Recently after finishing a spin cycle, when the front door was opened, a small amount of smoke came out.  On investigation the noise appears to come from the drum binding/rubbing on boot during a portion of every rotation. If I lubricate the rubber seal where it meets the drum with house hold detergent - then the noise goes away and the drum rotates smoothly. During a normal cycle it seems to make friction noise when rotating whenever water is not present in the drum. Appears not to be related to load.  I removed the front door bellows and inspected the rubber seal - it appears OK with no visual sign of abrasion.  Without the bellows attached, I put the machine through a long spin cycle - all was quiet and smooth. Drum seems equally spaced around the outer casing. The Drum seems solid with no wobble.  When I re assembled, the drum and the boot seem to sit OK with nothing obviously sagging.  However the drum still binds on the boot  for a small portion of a rotation.  I hesitate to change door bellows without understanding the root cause of problem - cause I wont have any change out of $100, and not sure the problem wont still be there.

Any help appreciated

Use the Appliantology Parts Search Box to Find What You Need!
Enter your model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

#2 vee8power

vee8power

Kohai

• Chief Appliantologist
  • PipPipPip
  • 394 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Folgers

Posted 30 January 2014 - 07:46 AM

I don't think that model# is correct.

#3 MAPS Appliance Repair

MAPS Appliance Repair

Ikkō-ikki

• Appliantologist
  • PipPip
  • 52 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:coffee

Posted 30 January 2014 - 09:37 AM

Is it the white plastic from the front of the tub?

#4 PDuff

PDuff

Sensei

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,976 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Bud Ice (Yeah, I know)

Posted 30 January 2014 - 03:47 PM

Is there any play in the inner basket?  With the door open, see if you can up on the front lip of the inner basket.  If there is any play or looseness you may have a damaged spinner support on the rear of the tub.

#5 Samurai Appliance Repair Man

Samurai Appliance Repair Man

Shōgun

• Master Samurai Tech
  • 29,382 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Sapporo Original Draft Rice Lager

Posted 30 January 2014 - 06:20 PM

More tips on diagnosing catastrophic in her basket or drum bearing failure and what to do about it here: http://appliantology...asket-failures/

#6 Biggles

Biggles

Unsui

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:James Boags Light

Posted 31 January 2014 - 05:58 AM

Confirm AWM 8121 is the correct part number - the part number can be googled to find what it looks like - this is an Australian product and will therefore have a unique part number due to the fact we have 240Volt electrics.

There is no apparent play or looseness associated with the inner basket .   If I open the door and apply pressure to the drum lip, there is no evidence of any wobble or play in it - Im guessing the rear bearing is fine.

No it does not appear to be the white plastic.  The drum appears to be partially, but noisily binding on the rubber boot that bridges /seals from the outer drum enclosure  to the front  door opening surround - but only when the drum does not have water in it. - and for no discernible reason.

#7 DanInKansas

DanInKansas

Kohai

• Professional Appliantologist
  • PipPipPip
  • 424 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Lion Imperial or Shiner Bock

Posted 31 January 2014 - 08:19 AM

Hmmm.... I would have lost the money I'd have bet on loose drum.  

So if the problem only happens when the drum is out of water then the lack of weight must be bringing the drum/tub assembly up out of position. 

I can't pull up a drawing, but it sounds like the springs are bringing that assembly up and out?  So -- are the concrete counterweights fractured?  Are the support struts in good shape? 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Use the Appliantology Parts Finder to Get What You Need!
Enter a model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.

Your Sometimes-Lucid Host:
Samurai Appliance Repair Man
"If I can't help you fix your appliance and make you 100% satisfied, I will come to your home and slice open my belly,
spilling my steaming entrails onto your floor."

The Appliance Guru | Master Samurai Tech

Real Time Analytics