Use this Search Box to Find Appliance Repair Help Now
Need help finding your model number?
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Welcome to Appliantology.org, the Web's Premiere Appliance Repair Resource!

The world-famous Samurai Appliance Repair Forums

You can post a question and get repair help for FREE! Click here to get started.

Already a member of the Appliantology Academy? Just sign in with your username and password in the upper right-hand corner of the screen.

Photo

Kitchen Aid wine cooler question?

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 ronreece

ronreece

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 04 February 2014 - 10:25 PM

I have a Kitchen Aid KUWS24RSBS wine cooler that will not get cold.

With the rear panel remove, it appears the compressor and fan are working.

I've got the thermostat set at the coldest position but it's not getting any colder.

Any ideas???

Use the Appliantology Parts Search Box to Find What You Need!
Enter your model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

#2 BryanS

BryanS

Sensei

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,084 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:I don't drink

Posted 04 February 2014 - 10:34 PM

If the compressor and fan are running. You probably have a sealed system issue. Whether it be a leak or restriction. More often than not that is the case with wine coolers. You should disassemble the inside and look at your frost pattern. I've seen some models that actually have defrost systems like a regular refrigerator. If there is a fan inside make sure it is running. You may need to find the door switch and close it to see the fan run. Typically I just listen for a sound change soon as I close the door to determine if the fan is running.

#3 BryanS

BryanS

Sensei

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,084 posts

Posted 04 February 2014 - 10:41 PM

It does appear this one does have a defrost system. Definitely, take the cover off inside, and see if the evaporator coil is iced over. A picture of the coil helps.
The heater can be ohmed out and we'll as the bi-metal if you have a blocked up evaporator. The little round bi-metal has to be frosted over to ohm it out though

#4 -Mike-

-Mike-

Kohai

• Appliantologist
  • PipPipPip
  • 338 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:diet Pepsi

Posted 06 February 2014 - 12:02 AM

Its got to be a sealed system problem. If it wasn't defrosting  there would still be some cooling. Keep in mind with these units when looking for a frost pattern,  if everything is working as it should there will be no frost on the evaporator coil. It just sweats but it won't freeze up. If you do see frost  it will usually be just an inch or two  on the evaporator where the capilary tube attaches and that usually means you have a leak in the system.

#5 BryanS

BryanS

Sensei

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,084 posts

Posted 06 February 2014 - 03:14 AM

Its got to be a sealed system problem. If it wasn't defrosting there would still be some cooling. Keep in mind with these units when looking for a frost pattern, if everythIng is working as it should there will be no frost on the evaporator coil. It just sweats but it won't freeze up. If you do see frost it will usually be just an inch or two on the evaporator where the capilary tube attaches and that usually means you have a leak in the system.

Well that's my thinking too. The only issue is wine coolers operate at a higher temperature, so most people wouldn't be able to tell the not cooling at all or partial cooling without a thermometer. I think most of the wine coolers I have come across people had set about 50. I'm no wine expert, so I have no idea what wine should be at exactly. It's worth at least looking at the evaporator frost like stated to get the real answer.

Edited by BryanS, 06 February 2014 - 03:15 AM.

#6 ronreece

ronreece

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 06 February 2014 - 06:29 PM

So I figured it out. It's the thermostat.

Here's the new question: how the heck do you get the controller out of the plastic housing box? The knob's off but it looks like the controller is riveted on down inside the box.

Why does everything have to be soooo difficult :)

#7 BryanS

BryanS

Sensei

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,084 posts

Posted 06 February 2014 - 07:48 PM

You might have to lay it on its back and access it from underneath

#8 ronreece

ronreece

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 06 February 2014 - 07:58 PM

I have the box off the wine cooler at the base. I'm scratching my head how to get the thermostat switch out of the box...

#9 BryanS

BryanS

Sensei

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,084 posts

Posted 06 February 2014 - 08:02 PM

It's hard to say without seeing it. I've only changed a few, and one of them I changed was misdiagnosed by another technician. The capillary tube that goes from the thermostat is mounted inside the wine cooler behind the panel. You will have to take that off to unhook it and pull it out I believe.

#10 Spannerwrench

Spannerwrench

Senpai

• Master Appliantologist
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 660 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Maxwell House > Black Crown > Crown Royal with Ginger Ale

Posted 07 February 2014 - 06:42 AM

What makes you think that it's the thermostat? It's running as you stated, which tells me that the thermostat is doing it's job and calling for cooling, but that the unit is just not cooling.
The majority of these that I've ran into have had a leak in the evaporator which is considered a non serviceable part.
"Suds are not good"
"They write directions for a reason"
"Make sure you're using it right before you say it's not working correctly"
"If if has a Diagnostic Test Cycle, Run it before and after you fix it!"
"Doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results is insane"
"For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong."

#11 ronreece

ronreece

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 07 February 2014 - 02:02 PM

It was not getting below 60 degrees (it used to get down below 50).

I removed the two wire going to the thermostat switch and ran a jumper wire to both ends.

Presto, the compressor and fan turned on (and stayed on, unlike before) and got down to 50 degrees.

Now my question is how to get the dang switch out of the plastic box that it mounted in.

#12 Spannerwrench

Spannerwrench

Senpai

• Master Appliantologist
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 660 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Maxwell House > Black Crown > Crown Royal with Ginger Ale

Posted 07 February 2014 - 07:18 PM

I have a Kitchen Aid KUWS24RSBS wine cooler that will not get cold.
With the rear panel remove, it appears the compressor and fan are working.
I've got the thermostat set at the coldest position but it's not getting any colder.
Any ideas???

I was only going off of what you said!
"Suds are not good"
"They write directions for a reason"
"Make sure you're using it right before you say it's not working correctly"
"If if has a Diagnostic Test Cycle, Run it before and after you fix it!"
"Doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results is insane"
"For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong."

#13 Budget Appliance Repair

Budget Appliance Repair

Sensei

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,770 posts

Posted 08 February 2014 - 06:06 AM

How long did you leave it running with the t-stat wires jumped?

If left running for at least two or three hours it should be a lot colder then 50 degrees with nothing to regulate the temp, (I think you have a sealed system/leak problem).

William Burk (Willie)
Willie's Budget Appliance Repair
Eureka, CA 95501

#14 ronreece

ronreece

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 08 February 2014 - 10:43 AM

It took about 15-20 minutes to go from 62 degrees down to 53 degrees. At that point I knew it was working right and disconnected the jumper.

I've ordered a new thermostat switch and am pretty confident that will do the trick.

Just have to figure out how to get the switch out of the box (not the wine cooler itself - I figured that out easily enough).

#15 Samurai Appliance Repair Man

Samurai Appliance Repair Man

Shōgun

• Master Samurai Tech
  • 29,251 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Sapporo Original Draft Rice Lager

Posted 08 February 2014 - 08:46 PM

Thermostat Part number: AP4319320

Part number: AP4319320

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Use the Appliantology Parts Finder to Get What You Need!
Enter a model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.

Your Sometimes-Lucid Host:
Samurai Appliance Repair Man
"If I can't help you fix your appliance and make you 100% satisfied, I will come to your home and slice open my belly,
spilling my steaming entrails onto your floor."

The Appliance Guru | Master Samurai Tech

Real Time Analytics