Use this Search Box to Find Appliance Repair Help Now
Need help finding your model number?
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Welcome to Appliantology.org, the Web's Premiere Appliance Repair Resource for DIYers!

The world-famous Samurai Appliance Repair Forums

You can post a question and get repair help for FREE! Click here to get started.

Already a member of the Appliantology Academy? Just sign in with your username and password in the upper right-hand corner of the screen.

Photo

Evil GE Side By Side Spitting Ice on the Floor GSS25JEMA

Ice Maker Evil Christine Constantly Runs

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 bobster99

bobster99

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 12 posts

Posted 04 February 2014 - 11:00 PM

Oh Wise One...  I come here today with a heavy heart.  I walked into my kitchen only to find puddles of water everywhere... My first thought was that Frosty the Snowman got out of the freezer and not even Santa could revive him then I thought that maybe the Penguin had gotten out of the freezer (Where do you keep your Penguin) but luckily neither of them wrere the problem... 

It turns out my ice maker, now known as Christine seemed to have turned it's self on and proceeded to empty most of the tray onto my kitchen floor until the remaining ice jammed up the ice shoot. That actually was a good thing because the ice made a pretty good seal and nothing in my freezer defrosted.

So here I am looking at a refrigerator that appears to be acting normal again.  The lights on the display for the cube, crushed and water are all normal and when I push them it apears that all is fine.

I pulled out the almost empty ice tray, cleaned the remaining ice out of it and reinstalled it only to have the ice auger start to run.  It didn't matter if the tray was in place or not, if the door was closed the ice auger was suddenly running.  Pushing or pulling the activator bar in the door did nothing so I just try pushing the buttons.  I quickly find out that the crushed button doesn't seem to do anything but light up the led but the water button pees a steady stream of water on the floor. I soon learn not to push the water button. 

I try the lever that I believe turns off the ice factory when the tray gets full, nothing... I turn off the switch on the ice maker, nothing.

Just as suddenly as it starts the auger stops running and all is calm in the kitchen.  Although I don't have any reason to believe that the touch panel is bad I remove the touch panel and unplug it hoping that that will prevent the unit from running at 3:00 am this morning.

Now I am stuck, it seemed like the touch  panel worked fine given that the unit peed water on my floor on command and the circuit board appears new, no burns or scorch marks.  In other words, I have no reason to condem that.  I know that the door switch will turn off the system so that doesn't appear to be connected to my problem.  I tried to turn off the switch on the unit and the auger kept running so that must just turn off the ice factory. I figured that the metal bar on the  bottom of the ice tray did something but moving it up or down didn't stop the auger from running.

In the last couple of years I have replaced the ice door solinoid because it was staying open.  I replaced what I think is the main mother board in the back because the compressor would for some reason just fail to start.... it seemed to solve the problem... other than that the unit has been pretty good...  well I constantly have a chunk of ice on the left top of  the freezer door that I blame on a door seal that acutally looks ok but still, other than that the unit has been pretty good.

So, Wise One, what do I do now... whatever caused the refrigerator to turn all Carrie on me... ever notice they use a lot of women's names when they make movies about evil... anyway, I digress, suddenly stopped causing the evil deeds so how do I go about diagnoisis this unit that at this instant seems to be fine?

Thank You

Bob

Use the Appliantology Parts Search Box to Find What You Need!
Enter your model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

#2 DurhamAppliance

DurhamAppliance

Sho' Nuff Chozin

• Grand Master Funk
  • 4,030 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Bells Two Hearted

Posted 05 February 2014 - 09:21 AM

sounds like a bad dispenser microswitch or maybe faulty connections at the door hinge.

microswitch: Part number: AP5688654

Part number: AP5688654

Edited by Samurai Appliance Repair Man, 05 February 2014 - 10:43 AM.
Affiliated part link using the APP button in the post edit bar.

Appliantology is, however appliances are not, an exact science for I know there are a few refrigerators that actually hate me.

The simplest explanation is most likely the correct and least expensive one, unless it's your compressor or motherboard" Occam as an appliantologist

"When you have eliminated all the impossible, whatever remains, however implausible, must be the logic truth; unless it's your compressor or motherboard." Mr. Spock as an appliantologist

"I think, therefore I have no earthly idea why this thing is not working...I got nothin'...". Rumored to have been uttered by a frustrated Descartes while diagnosing his GE Profile.

#3 PDuff

PDuff

Sensei

• Academy Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,392 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Bud Ice (Yeah, I know)

Posted 05 February 2014 - 03:13 PM

With the refrigerator running (compressor and evaporator fan) try this.  Select Cube on the dispenser control.  Open the fresh food door and listen to be sure the evaporator fan (located in the freezer section) is running and pushing cold air into the fresh food section at the top.  Then press the dispenser lever and listen.  If the evaporator fan motor and compressor stop running, you have a short.  It'll be either in the wire harness at the hinge as Brother Durham advised, or in the motherboard (located rear cabinet of refrigerator).

Usually when this occurs, the dispenser won't work.  But if the dispenser microswitch checks good, a short or bad board could be responsible for your Stephen King style dispenser freak out.

#4 DurhamAppliance

DurhamAppliance

Sho' Nuff Chozin

• Grand Master Funk
  • 4,030 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Bells Two Hearted

Posted 05 February 2014 - 04:13 PM

... But if the dispenser microswitch checks good, a short or bad board could be responsible for your Stephen King style dispenser freak out.

Well since Bobster says the dispenser has a penchant for "peeing," I think it's actually an R Kelly style dispenser.

Edited by DurhamAppliance, 06 February 2014 - 12:24 PM.

Appliantology is, however appliances are not, an exact science for I know there are a few refrigerators that actually hate me.

The simplest explanation is most likely the correct and least expensive one, unless it's your compressor or motherboard" Occam as an appliantologist

"When you have eliminated all the impossible, whatever remains, however implausible, must be the logic truth; unless it's your compressor or motherboard." Mr. Spock as an appliantologist

"I think, therefore I have no earthly idea why this thing is not working...I got nothin'...". Rumored to have been uttered by a frustrated Descartes while diagnosing his GE Profile.

#5 bobster99

bobster99

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 12 posts

Posted 05 February 2014 - 06:13 PM

Thanks so much for the responses...

I have successfully nuetered the refrigerator or so it seems by removing the connections to the touch pad.  Now by turning on the switch on the ice maker I now have ice and the idea of opening the door to retrieave the ice doesn't sound like such a bad option.  I figure if Neandertal Man could reach into his refrigerator and retreave his own ice cubes I guess, for the short term, I can do that.

Work is a priority for the next two days... they pay me for some reason when I show up... I guess that is so I will keep showing up... so it will have to be the weekend before I can dig into this but I will dig into this and respond back.

Thanks Again

Bob

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Use the Appliantology Parts Finder to Get What You Need!
Enter a model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.

Your Sometimes-Lucid Host:
Samurai Appliance Repair Man
"If I can't help you fix your appliance and make you 100% satisfied, I will come to your home and slice open my belly,
spilling my steaming entrails onto your floor."

The Appliance Guru | AppliancePartsResource.com | Samurai's Blog

Real Time Analytics