Use this Search Box to Find Appliance Repair Help Now
Need help finding your model number?
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Welcome to Appliantology.org, the Web's Premiere Appliance Repair Resource for DIYers!

The world-famous Samurai Appliance Repair Forums

You can post a question and get repair help for FREE! Click here to get started.

Already a member of the Appliantology Academy? Just sign in with your username and password in the upper right-hand corner of the screen.

Photo

After Hours calls

• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 Scottthewolf

Scottthewolf

Senpai

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,724 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Dunkin Donuts Coffee

Posted 06 February 2014 - 11:46 PM

Ok, I want to know if any of you guys do after 5PM calls or weekend calls.  I'm sick of people waking me up at 9AM on Sundays and sick of people who just automatically assume I will do an after 5PM call. 

If you do go do calls after 5PM or weekend calls, do you charge extra for this?

I tell my customers I do not do after 5PM calls in the winter because it gets dark out so early and with the snow and ice some customers driveways are too hard to see and I do not want to get stuck in the snow and ice.

I have learned to shut the ringer  on my phone completely off when I do not want to be bothered and when I do return calls during normal business hours I let them know I am a one man operation and I answer the phones myself and if I didn't turn my phone off when I don't want to be bothered I wouldn't have a life of my own.

Scott Wolf

Use the Appliantology Parts Search Box to Find What You Need!
Enter your model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

#2 Samurai Appliance Repair Man

Samurai Appliance Repair Man

Shōgun

• Fermented Grand Master
  • 28,835 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Sapporo Original Draft Rice Lager

Posted 06 February 2014 - 11:53 PM

We don't charge extra for weekend, holiday or after-hours calls because The Appliance Guru charges extra ALL the time!  

Just kidding about the all the time part.  

But, really, we don't charge extra.  It's just whatever it is in the Blue Book.  24/7, same rate.  

Besides, this time of year, I'd LOVE to be woken up at 2 am or called on a Sunday morning.  Homey's happy to have the work, yo!   

#3 john63

john63

Dean of LG Appliantology

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,095 posts

Posted 07 February 2014 - 12:16 AM

<<<I want to know if any of you guys do after 5PM calls or weekend calls.>>>

Yes.

<<<do you charge extra for this?>>>

No.

I don't think it is wrong however---to set your own hours though:)

To eliminate:

Musty odor

L-O-N-G cycle times

Dingy/yellowing whites

Suds error message

Slow spin speeds

Intermittent water leaks (from rear of washer)

And other annoying symptoms which vary brand-to brand.

Read below:

The *correct* amount of HE (High Efficiency) detergent that should be used in any front load or agitatorless top load washer with tub sizes 3.0 cu ft and larger is as follows:

HE: (2) Tablespoons Per Wash Load

HE 2X: (1) Tablespoon

HE 3X: (1) Teaspoon

Perform a TUB CLEAN CYCLE every (4) months.

Use: "Tide Washing Machine Cleaner"

#4 applianceman97

applianceman97

Baby Sensei

• Grand Master Funk
  • 1,609 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Citrus Mistress

Posted 07 February 2014 - 12:22 AM

I don't charge extra. Blue book all the time like the Samurai.

Kicks major Samsung booty first, asks diagnostic questions later.

http://www.tandnappliance.com

#5 DurhamAppliance

DurhamAppliance

Sho' Nuff Chozin

• Grand Master Funk
  • 4,413 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Bells Two Hearted

Posted 07 February 2014 - 09:46 AM

I don't, but considering it for extreme cases.

Durham Appliance Thrift & Repair, LLC

www.DurhamApplianceThrift.com

#6 electro_doc

electro_doc

Senpai

• Sublime Master of Appliantology
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 749 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:orange juice

Posted 07 February 2014 - 10:32 AM

where do you buy these blue books?

#7 applianceman97

applianceman97

Baby Sensei

• Grand Master Funk
  • 1,609 posts

Posted 07 February 2014 - 10:48 AM

http://www.servicecompanysolutions.com

#8 Patricio

Patricio

Sensei

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,319 posts

Posted 07 February 2014 - 11:05 AM

That is part of my Brand.  10% off Blue Book (Covers State Tax charge) & weekends.    I service several small communities.   I have no set hours.  The fish don't have set hours they bite when they want.   Great Old Fashion Hometown Service   Does not bother me I really get into my business & fishing.     :thumbsup:

I see says the blind man, leading a lame dog, while talking to a deaf person. In other words, Not liable if you choose to follow my opinion.
IgonFishn

#9 -Mike-

-Mike-

Kohai

• Master Appliantologist
  • PipPipPip
  • 338 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:diet Pepsi

Posted 08 February 2014 - 01:01 AM

I do after hours calls daily. Sometimes because thats the time the customer is available and sometimes because thats the only time I can squeze them in to my schedual. I will do weekend calls but I really try to talk them in to doing it on a week day but at an early or late time if they wanted a weekend appointment because of their work schedual. A lot of people assume I'm only available from 8 to 5 so when I tell them I can be there after work or before they leave they'll usually go for it. The one thing I hate is having to get up early on a saturday to do one job. I don't mind working on saturday if I can have a full schedual. Actually, I hate doing only one job on any day of the week so in the slower times of the year I may schedual myself to work a full monday, wednesday and friday and  leave the other days off for myself. Thats most of the time anyways. Today (friday) I took the day off, but got a near by call  for a range and I was getting bored doing my taxes so I put some pants on went and replaced a bake ignitor.

I don't charge extra for after hours work, but I do on the weekend. Thats only if they had to have a weekend call though. If I'm already out on a saturday I'll call some other customers and see if I can stop by and I'll give them my regular pricing. The reason I charge extra on the weekend  is not to fill my pocket, but to give the customer an incentive to let me do the job on a week day.

A perfect example is I have to work tomorrow on saturday. I got a call on monday and the guy wanted a saturday call so he will be charged saturday prices. Since I already had to work on saturday, I started filling my saturday schedual on thursday and now I have a 14 hour day to work tomorrow. All the other customers get regular pricing since I was the one that wanted to schedual them on saturday.

And about not wanting to be bothered, I get that way once in a while. Usually its just during  those super busy times  of the year when I've been running 100 miles an hour and out-in-the-truck-from-dark-to-dark all week and by the time saturday comes around  I need a break. I'll turn the ringer on the phones off so I can catch up on some sleep. Sometimes I get that attitude like "I don't care if they call someone else" or when my phone rings I say "give me a f'in break" but then I have to stop by the Les Schwab tire center and read the poster on the wall about how customers are not an inconvenience to remotivate myself.

Edited by -Mike-, 08 February 2014 - 01:03 AM.

#10 danoam

danoam

Ikkō-ikki

• Master Appliantologist
  • PipPip
  • 47 posts

Posted 11 February 2014 - 12:27 PM

If I run a call after 5, its either a special case, or im running behind schedule. My company doesn't take requested times after 3. We don't schedule calls for weekends. They are optional. During the busy seasons, I may run one call on a Saturday if its a big time consuming job, so I don’t have to work around it during the week. I sropped running fresh calls on weekends and now only do parts calls and only on a limited basis because the only time anyone wants on a Saturday is first call. That leaves only one or two spaces to work with. ultimately, my wwekends are too valuable. Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

#11 Thirstytech

Thirstytech

Kohai

• PipPipPip
  • 331 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Bells Oberon

Posted 11 February 2014 - 12:50 PM

I try to be all the things the "big guys" aren't.  Flexible is definitely one of them.  I charge blue book rates.

Case in point: last Friday night phone rings at 8:45 pm I answer, and it's someone needing some help with a dryer.  I go out on Saturday at 1pm fix it and am home by 2:20 with $200 cash in my pocket.  Customer was eternally grateful that I could get out there so quickly and asked for extra cards for his neighbors.  Not bad for a couple hours work (drive time included) on a snowy Saturday!

#12 Patricio

Patricio

Sensei

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,319 posts

Posted 11 February 2014 - 01:00 PM

I try to be all the things the "big guys" aren't.  Flexible is definitely one of them.  I charge blue book rates.

Case in point: last Friday night phone rings at 8:45 pm I answer, and it's someone needing some help with a dryer.  I go out on Saturday at 1pm fix it and am home by 2:20 with $200 cash in my pocket.  Customer was eternally grateful that I could get out there so quickly and asked for extra cards for his neighbors.  Not bad for a couple hours work (drive time included) on a snowy Saturday!

That's what I'm talking about.    Great customer services equates to more money in the pocket.

I see says the blind man, leading a lame dog, while talking to a deaf person. In other words, Not liable if you choose to follow my opinion.
IgonFishn

#13 PDuff

PDuff

Sensei

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,776 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Bud Ice (Yeah, I know)

Posted 12 February 2014 - 09:50 AM

Empathy for the customer is definitely one of the pillars for good customer service, and a business won't last long without it.  But I also feel Brother Scott.  In my days on the road, especially during the busy season, you're lucky to get home before 8:00pm.  Those after dark calls to houses that don't have numbers displayed (how do these people get pizza delivered, must less an ambulance finding them when in need).  And I have ran my fair share of "emergency" dishwasher calls.

But this is our job, our calling, our life.  Whether you're a tech running your tail off for "The Man", or a one man operation hustling just to keep the bills paid.  We gots to do what we gots to do.  In my present duties I'm omnipresent, either behind the desk, on the showroom floor, in the shop or on a call.  But I close the doors and the phones at 5:00pm.  And for Saturdays and Sundays, it's all about me and mine, brother.  :pint1:

#14 Thirstytech

Thirstytech

Kohai

• PipPipPip
  • 331 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Bells Oberon

Posted 13 February 2014 - 11:45 AM

Once again Bruther Duff has laid the truth at our feet.

The area I operate in has a huge influx of summer residents (we are on the shores of Lake Michigan, and only about 90 miles from Chicago) that have 2nd homes and cottages all over the county.  

They usually show up on Friday night and discover there appliances don't work.  Saturday and Sunday calls in the summer are pretty routine for me.  I don't mind it because these folks don't care how much, just how fast you can be there.  

These calls will only occupy a few hours of the day, and then it's on to whatever I want to do that day/evening with extra $$$.  Work/Life balance is very important to me, one of the biggest reasons I went out on my own in this business.

#15 certified tech group 51

certified tech group 51

Sensei

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,516 posts

Posted 15 February 2014 - 12:18 PM

I concur with Thirstytech and PDuff .............Being a "one man " operation with the wife answering the phone lines and doing the scheduling, we have a bit more leeway.....I keep Saturday mornings for refers and freezers only.................Friday, I had a service call to repair a range before the customer got to the rental before 4 P.M........I got there at 1 P.M.  but the customer had already been there, took the door key from the lock box.....They decided to have lunch and check out the storms on the coast ( Oregon)...AND took the key with them.............I ain't going out on a Saturday to fix the range.........

#16 DurhamAppliance

DurhamAppliance

Sho' Nuff Chozin

• Grand Master Funk
  • 4,413 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Bells Two Hearted

Posted 15 February 2014 - 01:20 PM

If you want to build good Site or Google reviews, do some after hour/holiday jobs then ask for the review. A high percentage of these type customers  compared to standard hour customers will leave very positive reviews for you.  Works great...but I aint driving in the snow!

Edited by DurhamAppliance, 15 February 2014 - 01:21 PM.

Durham Appliance Thrift & Repair, LLC

www.DurhamApplianceThrift.com

#17 applianceman97

applianceman97

Baby Sensei

• Grand Master Funk
  • 1,609 posts

Posted 18 February 2014 - 11:40 PM

If you want to build good Site or Google reviews, do some after hour/holiday jobs then ask for the review. A high percentage of these type customers compared to standard hour customers will leave very positive reviews for you. Works great...but I aint driving in the snow!

Google reviews are very important. I got 11 in just recent months. Up to 14 now. Marketing baby!!!!!!!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Use the Appliantology Parts Finder to Get What You Need!
Enter a model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.

Your Sometimes-Lucid Host:
Samurai Appliance Repair Man
"If I can't help you fix your appliance and make you 100% satisfied, I will come to your home and slice open my belly,
spilling my steaming entrails onto your floor."

The Appliance Guru | AppliancePartsResource.com | Samurai's Blog

Real Time Analytics