Learn appliance repair at the Samurai Tech Academy.  Learn more.  Earn more.

Use this Search Box to Find Appliance Repair Help Now
Need help finding your model number?
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Welcome to Appliantology.org, the Web's Premiere Appliance Repair Resource!

The world-famous Samurai Appliance Repair Forums

You can post a question and get repair help for FREE! Click here to get started.

Already a member of the Appliantology Academy? Just sign in with your username and password in the upper right-hand corner of the screen.

Photo
- - - - -

Fixing an Oven that got Stuck with the Door Locked After Self-Clean

range oven self-clean door lock stuck

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Samurai Appliance Repair Man

Samurai Appliance Repair Man

Shōgun

• Master Samurai Tech
  • 29,437 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Sapporo Original Draft Rice Lager

Posted 08 February 2014 - 08:51 AM

In this adventure into Range Repair Land, Samurai Appliance Repair Man takes you by the hand and gently guides you through the troubleshooting steps for figuring out why an oven door got stuck locked after self-clean.  This particular range is a Frigidaire-built Kenmore but the steps and methodology illustrated apply to any make or model.  

Use the Appliantology Parts Search Box to Find What You Need!
Enter your model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

#2 DurhamAppliance

DurhamAppliance

Sho' Nuff Chozin

• Grand Master Funk
  • 4,888 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Bells Two Hearted

Posted 08 February 2014 - 09:38 AM

Fantastic video! You're gonna make a tech out of me yet. lol

Durham Appliance Thrift & Repair, LLC

www.DurhamApplianceThrift.com

#3 BryanS

BryanS

Sensei

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,205 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:I don't drink

Posted 10 February 2014 - 06:55 PM

Thanks for the video. I was wondering about this myself. I remember the cooking and dish techs always got busy during the holidays because of self clean. I had heard not to ever run it.

Is there any other issues that cause them to lock out too that we should be aware of? Also the holidays are a little ways off, but is there any highly used parts you recommend having on hand before the fun time begins :) I was glad you mentioned about turning the cam around to close the switch to get them going. Good info to know.

Edited by BryanS, 10 February 2014 - 06:56 PM.

#4 Samurai Appliance Repair Man

Shōgun

• Master Samurai Tech
  • 29,437 posts

Posted 10 February 2014 - 06:58 PM

Fantastic video! You're gonna make a tech out of me yet. lol

You're already there, mah bruvah!  Who did I just Vox with today about replacing the glass cooktop on a Jenn-Air dual fuel range?  Uh huh, give it up!  

#5 Samurai Appliance Repair Man

Shōgun

• Master Samurai Tech
  • 29,437 posts

Posted 10 February 2014 - 07:03 PM

Is there any other issues that cause them to lock out too that we should be aware of? Also the holidays are a little ways off, but is there any highly used parts you recommend having on hand before the fun time begins :) I was glad you mentioned about turning the cam around to close the switch to get them going. Good info to know.

Thanks, Bryan.  First, I encourage my customers to run the self-clean as often as they can, preferably once a week.  This helps create a steady stream of work not only during cooking season but at other times of the year, too.   :rocker:  :dazzler:  :woot:  :wink:

Logic screw-ups on the board can cause door lock problems.  If this is the case, cycling power to the range or re-starting and stopping the self-clean cycle will usually reset it.  

The single most common cause of self-cleaning errors is a failed door lock assembly. What tends to happen is that grease from cooking condenses and accumulates on the door latch assembly. Then during self clean, this grease crystallizes and forms a cement-like bond inside the assembly and causing it to strip out, as seen in this video.

The next most common cause of self clean related failures is opened thermal cut offs. If you're familiar with the brands in your area, it makes sense to stock a few of these in your vehicle. I don't stock any door latch assemblies because there are too many different types and they're too expensive.

#6 BryanS

BryanS

Sensei

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,205 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:I don't drink

Posted 10 February 2014 - 07:14 PM

Sounds good. Are most of those assemblies able to be spun like the one in the video? If that is the case, then I could always do that to get them through while the part is ordered.

#7 Samurai Appliance Repair Man

Shōgun

• Master Samurai Tech
  • 29,437 posts

Posted 10 February 2014 - 07:33 PM

The doorlock configuration will vary by the model. The door lock motor assembly will be either in the back, like in the video, or in the very front where it directly latches to the door itself.  If it is this latter type, then the technique used to release the door is to form a hook out of a coat hanger or something and use that to retract the latch from the door, releasing the door that way.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: range, oven, self-clean, door, lock, stuck

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Use the Appliantology Parts Finder to Get What You Need!
Enter a model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.

Your Sometimes-Lucid Host:
"If I can't help you fix your appliance and make you 100% satisfied, I will come to your home and slice open my belly,
spilling my steaming entrails onto your floor."

The Appliance Guru | Master Samurai Tech

Real Time Analytics