Use this Search Box to Find Appliance Repair Help Now
Need help finding your model number?
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Welcome to Appliantology.org, the Web's Premiere Appliance Repair Resource for DIYers!

The world-famous Samurai Appliance Repair Forums

You can post a question and get repair help for FREE! Click here to get started.

Already a member of the Appliantology Academy? Just sign in with your username and password in the upper right-hand corner of the screen.

Photo

Whirlpool ice maker problem

Whirlpool GB2FHDXWB02 ice maker

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 beast_3

beast_3

Unsui

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:beer

Posted 08 February 2014 - 08:21 PM

Hi, I have a Whirlpool GB2FHDXWB02 refrigerator. Ice was building up on the freezer floor and I fixed that today by removing the freezer back panel and melting the ice with a hairdryer and clearing out the drain. I think door hadn't been closed tight and moist air entered and froze on condenser and drain pan.

After several hours of running it seems fine, nice and cold in freezer compartment.

However I'm not getting any water into the ice maker. I had taken the ice maker out during the repair & replaced it. I did not remove the water lines or shut off the water to the ice maker during the repair. Electrical connection seems tight.

Any clue what I may have done wrong?
Thanks!
Beast3

Use the Appliantology Parts Search Box to Find What You Need!
Enter your model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

#2 BryanS

BryanS

Sensei

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,032 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:I don't drink

Posted 08 February 2014 - 08:34 PM

What is the exact temperature in the freezer. I believe the ice maker thermostat doesn't close until around 15 degrees to make the ice maker cycle. If it is cold enough then could have a frozen drain tube but I doubt it if you had the freezer open for that period of time cleaning the defrost. You could probably roll the fridge out and remove the fill tube from behind to verify the fill tube is clear. Is your ice level bail arm in the down position?
Do you have a multimeter? You can remove the front white cover off of the ice maker and insert your leads in L and N holes to check for 120v to the ice maker. You may need to close the door switch while you check this. If you have 120v, then try jumping T to H with an insulated jumper wire with the door switch closed and see if it cycles around and fills with water. T and H jumps out the thermostat that makes it cycle. Also reverify you wire harness connection at the ice maker and the back wall if for someone reason you don't get 120v to the ice maker. Try that and let us know what you find.

Edited by BryanS, 08 February 2014 - 08:36 PM.

#3 Samurai Appliance Repair Man

Samurai Appliance Repair Man

Shōgun

• Master Samurai Tech
  • 29,163 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Sapporo Original Draft Rice Lager

Posted 08 February 2014 - 08:50 PM

How to manually cycle these icemakers:

If the icemaker does not cycle properly during manual test, then the icemaker is bad.  Replacement icemaker  Part number: AP4135008

Part number: AP4135008

The other possibility is that the water inlet valve is bad. You can test this by applying a jump record across the valve, applying 120 V AC to the valve. See if the valve opens and sends water up to the icemaker. If no water, and the icemaker fill tube is not plugged, then the water inlet valve is bad Part number: AP3961809

Part number: AP3961809

#4 DurhamAppliance

DurhamAppliance

Sho' Nuff Chozin

• Grand Master Funk
  • 4,718 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Bells Two Hearted

Posted 08 February 2014 - 10:01 PM

I advise customers to wait 24 hrs after an ice maker repair before becoming concerned over lack of production.

That being said, a major theory of repair is to initially assume recent symptoms are related. Although it may not be true here, proceeding on that theory may yet prove to be fruitful

So how can they be related?

1) because you disconnected the icemaker to clear the icing problem, so as BryanS stated, check the icemaker re-installation carefully paying careful attention to the connections and fill tube, Sometimes it's easy to forget to push the tube through the evap cover. You probably did it properly but we have to cover all bases.

2) Again as Brother BryanS stated, temp problems can cause melting and refreezing resulting in ice on the floor as well as freezer not being cold enough to activate the icemaker and

3) A partially blocked icemaker fill tube and receiving cup can cause water to not enter the ice maker and wind up on the freezer floor. Once the fill tube completely freezes closex, water will not enter icemaker nor fall on the floor, giving the impression you corrected the icing problem but now face a different problem.. ie no ice production.

It's possible that your icemaker/water valve went bad at the same time as the icing problem but I usually aint one to believe in coincidences.

Edited by DurhamAppliance, 08 February 2014 - 10:15 PM.

Durham Appliance Thrift & Repair, LLC

www.DurhamApplianceThrift.com

#5 beast_3

beast_3

Unsui

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:beer

Posted 09 February 2014 - 07:32 PM

Many thanks for the advice.

After checking voltage and testing with jumper and everything checked out OK, I took off rear panel to test inlet valve.

Apparently I was in too much of a hurry when I closed up the panel Saturday, and left the solenoid power connection off. Once that was connected water started filling the ice maker and its working again.

I really appreciate the information you all provided. Its great to find some many folks willing to help a stranger in need!

Thanks again!

Beast3

#6 BryanS

BryanS

Sensei

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,032 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:I don't drink

Posted 09 February 2014 - 07:46 PM

Thanks for the update. We all get in a hurry at some point and miss connecting something or forgetting to put a piece in :)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Use the Appliantology Parts Finder to Get What You Need!
Enter a model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.

Your Sometimes-Lucid Host:
Samurai Appliance Repair Man
"If I can't help you fix your appliance and make you 100% satisfied, I will come to your home and slice open my belly,
spilling my steaming entrails onto your floor."

The Appliance Guru | Master Samurai Tech

Real Time Analytics