Use this Search Box to Find Appliance Repair Help Now
Need help finding your model number?
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Welcome to Appliantology.org, the Web's Premiere Appliance Repair Resource for DIYers!

The world-famous Samurai Appliance Repair Forums

You can post a question and get repair help for FREE! Click here to get started.

Already a member of the Appliantology Academy? Just sign in with your username and password in the upper right-hand corner of the screen.

Photo

Frigidaire french door finger style icemaker

FGHB2846LF1

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 maytagman

maytagman

Yamabushi

• Chief Master Appliantologist
  • PipPip
  • 60 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Spotted Cow

Posted 11 February 2014 - 04:48 PM

Just wondering if anyone knows if the EEV valve on these things has just the coil available or if this is a sealed system repair to replace this with the whole icemaker evaporator. Frigidaire techline made it sound like it is similar to a gas dryer coil, but I cannot find a part other than the whole evaporator assy. Thanks for any advice other that to blow this thing up, as I would if I could. Even with the icemaker off the whole mold turned into a big ball of frosty ice, so we are assuming the valve did not cut off the refrigerant flow. It had also been making loud ticking noises.

Use the Appliantology Parts Search Box to Find What You Need!
Enter your model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

#2 Spannerwrench

Spannerwrench

Senpai

• PipPipPipPip
  • 623 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Maxwell House > Black Crown > Crown Royal with Ginger Ale

Posted 11 February 2014 - 04:51 PM

No, it's not replaceable by itself. If it's bad, start using ice trays, or buy a new frig.
"Suds are not good"
"They write directions for a reason"
"Make sure you're using it right before you say it's not working correctly"
"If if has a Diagnostic Test Cycle, Run it before and after you fix it!"
"Doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results is insane"
"For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong."

#3 applianceman97

applianceman97

Baby Sensei

• Grand Master Funk
  • 1,610 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Citrus Mistress

Posted 11 February 2014 - 07:58 PM

I don't what was going through frigidaires head when they designed that gem.

Kicks major Samsung booty first, asks diagnostic questions later.

http://www.tandnappliance.com

#4 vee8power

vee8power

Kohai

• PipPipPip
  • 342 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Folgers

Posted 11 February 2014 - 10:44 PM

It is available separately. I installed one. Another tech diagnosed it. I'm guessing the tech line gave them the part number. Yes, like a coil for a gas dryer.

You might want to go a different direction though, maybe an ice maker in the freezer. 

#5 PDuff

PDuff

Sensei

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,776 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Bud Ice (Yeah, I know)

Posted 13 February 2014 - 12:06 PM

Maytag, have you tried installing the upgrade kit for your specific model/serial# unit?  With the heater and motor included, along with sealing the top edge of the ice room with weatherstrip to eliminate warm air intrusion from the f/f section, it may cure the frost and noise issue.

#6 maytagman

maytagman

Yamabushi

• PipPip
  • 60 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Spotted Cow

Posted 13 February 2014 - 05:06 PM

I think there was a update kit installed but it was a board and im not sure what else. Don't recall a heater. This is a customers fridge and the only one I have had the pleasure to work on. I think I will call techline back and see if they can get me the part number for that coil because all I can find is the whole evaporator assy and I don't know about anyone else but im not a fan of trying to braze inside a fridge/freezer compartment anyway. The other issue is the customer isn't planning on paying anything since they say it has been a piece of shit since day one even though it is out of warranty. Days like this are when it would be nice to just be a service company and not a servicing dealer. Its never an appliance they picked out when there is a issue, it is always the appliance we sold them. ughhhh

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Use the Appliantology Parts Finder to Get What You Need!
Enter a model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.

Your Sometimes-Lucid Host:
Samurai Appliance Repair Man
"If I can't help you fix your appliance and make you 100% satisfied, I will come to your home and slice open my belly,
spilling my steaming entrails onto your floor."

The Appliance Guru | AppliancePartsResource.com | Samurai's Blog

Real Time Analytics