Use this Search Box to Find Appliance Repair Help Now
Need help finding your model number?
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Welcome to Appliantology.org, the Web's Premiere Appliance Repair Resource for DIYers!

The world-famous Samurai Appliance Repair Forums

You can post a question and get repair help for FREE! Click here to get started.

Already a member of the Appliantology Academy? Just sign in with your username and password in the upper right-hand corner of the screen.

Photo

Maytag Neptune Blues

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 appliantologist wannabe

appliantologist wannabe

Unsui

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 09 May 2005 - 09:26 AM

Hi, despite my lame engineering background, I still can't figure out how to repair my appliances. I hold true applicantologists in high esteem.

My 7-year-old Neptune washer WAH3000AWW (aka, lemony spinless) has just left me with a load of wet jeans. After a quick Google, I find that there's been a class action settlement against Maytag for its shamelessly poor performance. Apparently, I have a door lock/wax motor problem (#2 of 4 problems covered by the lawsuit). I already had #1 (mildew, odor, mold on door gasket) repaired about 2 years ago.

The problem: I have to fill out a claim form and WAIT for the Claims Administrator to find my sheet and then MAYBE they'll send a repairman out here to fix it. . . . could be up to 60 days before I can spin my clothes again. Needless to say, I'm way less than thrilled with that response, but I'm also way short of cash for paying a service man the cost of repair (which wouldn't be reimbursed under the settlement agreement).

HELP! And the worse part? I have yet to experience problems #3 and #4 (motor control and circuit board problems). Should I just trash this machine now and swear never to purchase a Maytag appliance again? Or can I fix this somehow and then swear never to purchase Maytag again?

By the way, my house is just 7 years old, with way too many Maytag appliances. I've had to call for repairs on the range and washer 4 times in those 7 years. Does that seem unreasonable to you?

Use the Appliantology Parts Search Box to Find What You Need!
Enter your model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

#2 Ron

Ron

Kohai

• Sublime Master of Appliantology
  • PipPipPip
  • 368 posts

Posted 09 May 2005 - 11:35 AM

On your model I see at least 9 different  flash/bulletins.  Sounds like your problem now exists with the motor,  controller and harness where as they replaced them all with a new kit.  There is also a flash out that concerns the loss of the nuetral from the power cord down to the motor controller board.  I also have seen on this model the machine control board behind the timer cause the same problem.   If you can hang in there and get Maytag to do the repairs thats great,  otherwise these parts would be expensive...I recommend a Kenmore or Whirlpool next time....Ron

#3 Mad Mac

Mad Mac

Sensei

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,434 posts

Posted 09 May 2005 - 12:41 PM

Sadly, the days of Ol' Lonely (R.I.P. Gordon Jump) are no more. Maytag has gone downhill in recent years, the Neptune being its biggest fiasco. I wouldn't put money into this, but if they'll pay, take it and use the money you've saved for a :party::pint::gulp::gimmebeer::cheers::rockband::guzzle::dazzler::fart:
Mad Mac....Pray to God he's out there....somewhere.

#4 mastertech011

mastertech011

Sōhei

• Scholar of Appliantology
  • PipPipPip
  • 116 posts

Posted 09 May 2005 - 04:56 PM

They will probably just offer you a discount coupon on a new top load Neptune. You may just need the wax motor and a control board. You can do that yourself with a little time and a few tools.

#5 ACMan

ACMan

Unsui

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 13 June 2005 - 07:32 AM

Thank You for the wealth on knowledge provided here. Can someone please post the part numbers for the wax motor and control board. I do commercial A/C work and commercial refrigeration work, I feel like I can tackle this but can't find the manual with part numbers. And is it worth it to fix it? With me doing the labor? Or will it puke again? Thank You for your time. Oops! The model # MAH3000AAW S# 25106900UK

#6 appliantologist wannabe

appliantologist wannabe

Unsui

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 13 June 2005 - 05:13 PM

Hey ACMan,
With a lot of help from this website, I replaced the wax motor and made a few fixes to the control board. Here's where to go for the solution:

http://members.shaw.ca/gavb/index.html

It even tells you where to order the parts. This place saved me some big bucks.

Good luck!

Oh yes, and while you're waiting for the parts, you can fake your washer into thinking the door is locked by plugging in a bit of foam or something firm enough to push the "lock" switch next to the wax motor. I wouldn't wash any sneakers or anything that might come flying out during the spin. (No kids allowed in the laundry room during operation.) The only problem with this arrangement is that the washer never actually turns off at the end of the cycle, so don't set it to wash and go to bed.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Use the Appliantology Parts Finder to Get What You Need!
Enter a model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.

Your Sometimes-Lucid Host:
Samurai Appliance Repair Man
"If I can't help you fix your appliance and make you 100% satisfied, I will come to your home and slice open my belly,
spilling my steaming entrails onto your floor."

The Appliance Guru | AppliancePartsResource.com | Samurai's Blog

Real Time Analytics