Learn appliance repair at the Samurai Tech Academy.  Learn more.  Earn more.

Parts Search
Site Search

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Welcome to Appliantology.org, the Web's Premiere Appliance Repair Resource!

The world-famous Samurai Appliance Repair Forums

To get started, click here.

Already a member of the Appliantology Academy? Just sign in with your username and password in the upper right-hand corner of the screen.

Photo

Kenmore Elite Refrigerator problems

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 MENINBLK

MENINBLK

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 18 posts

Posted 12 February 2014 - 08:43 PM

I have Kenmore Elite 106.72209201, S/N EP1924965, DOB 05/2003.

I am getting water in the refrigerator and the water dispenser is no longer working yet the ice maker is.

I think the two may be related ?

I have replaced the Water Filter bypass valve about 2 years ago because it cracked and leaked.

I've checked it and it looks fine but I think the valve is seeping water because the 2nd solenoid

for the dispenser is not working. When the water pressure builds up I think the water is seeping out.

I could be wrong.

I get the same problem with the water filter removed or installed.

So I am ordering the solenoid from you today along with a few more water filters.

Pete...

Thanks,

Pete...

Use the Appliantology Parts Search Box to Find What You Need!
Enter your model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

#2 BryanS

BryanS

Sensei

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,330 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:I don't drink

Posted 12 February 2014 - 08:51 PM

I see this is a top mount fridge. Where is the water leaking in the refrigerator? The water tank is on the left side of the ceiling in the fridge section, which may be why you don't get any water. If the water is dripping from the air vent it could a clogged up defrost drain in the freezer.

#3 MENINBLK

MENINBLK

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 18 posts

Posted 13 February 2014 - 05:56 PM

This is a top/bottom fridge with the freezer on the top.

Ice Maker in the freezer on top left side.

Water dispenser on roof of refrigerator on left side.

Water is collecting in bottom of refrigerator.

I'm taking care of one problem to see if the other persists.

Thanks,

Pete...

#4 BryanS

BryanS

Sensei

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,330 posts

Posted 13 February 2014 - 06:00 PM

Usually, when you have water pooling up in bottom on a top mount it is from the defrost drain being clogged and leaking down from the freezer scetion through air vent. Since you have a dispenser I would still inspect all those lines as you call for water. You will need to get the freezer cover off to inspect that drain.

#5 MA tech.

MA tech.

Sōhei

• Professional Appliantologist
  • PipPipPip
  • 164 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Amstel Light

Posted 13 February 2014 - 11:15 PM

I don't think these problems are related. Water leak is likely a clogged/iced up defrost drain line in freezer section. This is easily verified by removing the rear wall panel in freezer and look for an ice build up under the evaporator and sometimes on the  under side of freezer floor.

As far as water dispensing, have you confirmed the "2nd water valve isn't working or are you assuming. It may be easier to diagnose by assuming the two troubles are NOT related and if in the end they indeed are, well more time for drinking beer for you.

#6 MENINBLK

MENINBLK

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 18 posts

Posted 14 April 2014 - 06:41 PM

I have replaced the pair of solenoids that divert water from the filter to either the water dispenser and ice maker.

Both are now working fine.

I am still getting water collecting in the bottom of the refrigerator and it is coming through

the vent hole between the freezer and refrigerator.

I takes about a month to fill the bottom of the refrigerator with water.

I have noticed that if the ice maker is turned off, I don't get water collecting in a basin

I have placed under the vent hole and there is no water collecting in the bottom of the refrigerator.

Could the Ice Maker tray have a crack in it allowing a small amount of water to drip out until the water freezes ?

Thanks,

Pete...

#7 BryanS

BryanS

Sensei

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,330 posts

Posted 14 April 2014 - 07:00 PM

I would take a look at the ice maker mold for flaking. More than likely it is leaking at the fill tube behind the panel or you have an obstructed defrost drain if you have leaking down from the air return or air supply vent. I would inspect all of that by taking the panel off and seeing if you defrost tray is iced up or an ice trail is running down from the fill tube.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Use the Appliantology Parts Finder to Get What You Need!
Enter a model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

Your Sometimes-Lucid Host:
Samurai Appliance Repair Man
"If I can't help you fix your appliance and make you 100% satisfied, I will come to your home and slice open my belly,
spilling my steaming entrails onto your floor."

The Appliance Guru | Master Samurai Tech

Real Time Analytics