Use this Search Box to Find Appliance Repair Help Now
Need help finding your model number?
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Welcome to Appliantology.org, the Web's Premiere Appliance Repair Resource for DIYers!

The world-famous Samurai Appliance Repair Forums

You can post a question and get repair help for FREE! Click here to get started.

Already a member of the Appliantology Academy? Just sign in with your username and password in the upper right-hand corner of the screen.

Photo

GE refrigerator water dispenser stopped working

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 dunnright00

dunnright00

Ikkō-ikki

• Grasshoppah
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts

Posted 13 February 2014 - 03:31 PM

Hi all!

GE Side by Side, model #PFCS1RKZA SS, water dispenser just stopped.

Still makes ice, light goes on when I trigger the arm.

I don't remember hearing any noises before, but if I put my ear to the door when I press the trigger I hear nothing.

Tried the hair dryer on the front & back of the door in case the line was frozen and that did nothing.

Any other ideas?

Use the Appliantology Parts Search Box to Find What You Need!
Enter your model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

#2 BryanS

BryanS

Senpai

• Chief Appliantologist
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 896 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:I don't drink

Posted 13 February 2014 - 03:42 PM

Well first off you need to make sure the line being frozen in tbe door is your problem. Take the toekick off the bottom front. Unhook the connector by pushing in the ring as you pull out on the tube. Lay the tube on a towel with the door closed and activate the water to check if you have water to the door. If you have water to the door then it is frozen in the line. The blow dryer will work but sometimes it can take quite awhile and you have to switch back and forth quite so you don't melt any plastic. A Zoom spout can be used. It is basically a can of oil with a thin spout. Obviously, you would need to dump the oil and clean it well. There is a dispenser heater kit available but it works on metal liners only. You will need to determine what type of liner you have inside. Part#wr49x10173.
http://www.amazon.co...aw/d/B000HACY3Y

http://www.repaircli...9X10173/1381601

The zoom bottle can be filled with hot water and the tube will fit up inside the water line of the dispenser to thaw it.

Edited by BryanS, 13 February 2014 - 03:42 PM.

#3 dunnright00

dunnright00

Ikkō-ikki

• Grasshoppah
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts

Posted 13 February 2014 - 04:07 PM

Thanks for the quick reply!

I've seen before the method to take off the toe kick and unhook the connector, but when I took off the toe kick I didn't see a connector down there.

Just an electrical connector. I'll take a picture when I get home tonight, but I was looking and looking and couldn't find anything...

#4 BryanS

BryanS

Senpai

• Chief Appliantologist
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 896 posts

Posted 13 February 2014 - 04:15 PM

O wait. This is a bottom freezer. I should have looked at a parts breakdown first. Ignore what i just said. You might have to pull your drawers out and thaw the tanks out behind them. I think this had some kind of a service flash to replace the foam in the damper. The damper is also located behind those crisper drawers in tbe middle floor of the fridge section. You may have air leaking around the seal causing those to freeze. Sometimes I just I put a permagum or rtv around the seal of the damper. It's best to remove that assembly and seal the foam directly. I would try that first because I really didn't see much of a difference except in the gasket material on the new foam block.

Edited by BryanS, 13 February 2014 - 04:16 PM.

#5 dunnright00

dunnright00

Ikkō-ikki

• Grasshoppah
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts

Posted 13 February 2014 - 06:11 PM

You might have to pull your drawers out and thaw the tanks out behind them.

Are you talking about the crisper drawers, or the freezer drawer?

Is there a connector somewhere that I can test if there is water flowing, or is this further back so it wouldn't work like that?

#6 DurhamAppliance

DurhamAppliance

Sho' Nuff Chozin

• Grand Master Funk
  • 4,405 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Bells Two Hearted

Posted 13 February 2014 - 06:14 PM

first check to see if your valve is working. Disconnect the large line from the water inlet valve... press the water dispenser button to see if water comes out.

Durham Appliance Thrift & Repair, LLC

www.DurhamApplianceThrift.com

#7 BryanS

BryanS

Senpai

• Chief Appliantologist
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 896 posts

Posted 13 February 2014 - 06:23 PM

Are you talking about the crisper drawers, or the freezer drawer?

Is there a connector somewhere that I can test if there is water flowing, or is this further back so it wouldn't work like that?

crisper drawers. I think there is a connector on one of the tanks. You may have to check at the water valve to be sure if water is coming through. I'm not sure of the exact position of the connector so I can't say if a frozen tank will still interfere with checking it. More often than not it has been a frozen tank and usually the right side tank.

#8 Scottthewolf

Scottthewolf

Senpai

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,723 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Dunkin Donuts Coffee

Posted 13 February 2014 - 06:55 PM

Look for broken wires in the lower door hinge

Scott Wolf

#9 dunnright00

dunnright00

Ikkō-ikki

• Grasshoppah
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts

Posted 13 February 2014 - 07:09 PM

crisper drawers. I think there is a connector on one of the tanks. You may have to check at the water valve to be sure if water is coming through. I'm not sure of the exact position of the connector so I can't say if a frozen tank will still interfere with checking it. More often than not it has been a frozen tank and usually the right side tank.

Ok, I will check this tonight. Thanks!

first check to see if your valve is working. Disconnect the large line from the water inlet valve... press the water dispenser button to see if water comes out.

Do you know where the water inlet valve is located on this model? I can't seem to find it...

#10 BryanS

BryanS

Senpai

• Chief Appliantologist
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 896 posts

Posted 13 February 2014 - 07:17 PM

It's in the compressor compartment on the left side. You will have to pull the fridge out access it

#11 dunnright00

dunnright00

Ikkō-ikki

• Grasshoppah
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts

Posted 14 February 2014 - 02:22 AM

Ok, so this is what I see behind the crisper drawers. I assume the blue connectors will come off so I can check here, but I don't se a way to get it disconnected. 

Short of yanking it off, what d I do here?

12515515705_9633a81a2f_z.jpg

#12 Samurai Appliance Repair Man

Samurai Appliance Repair Man

Shōgun

• Fermented Grand Master
  • 28,810 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Sapporo Original Draft Rice Lager

Posted 14 February 2014 - 07:44 AM

Those are John Guest fittings.

gallery_4_4_28077.png

#13 BryanS

BryanS

Senpai

• Chief Appliantologist
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 896 posts

Posted 14 February 2014 - 10:39 AM

If you are able to get it to stick, I have been known to insulate those tanks with foam after thawing them as well. I used to use the extra foam that came with 819043 heat probe kit. I wonder if you could use that thin sticky pipe insulation they sell at Lowes for copper pipe. It doesn't necessarily fix exactly what is causing them from freezing, but I've had a few that I insulated because nothing else seemed to stop the freezing.

#14 dunnright00

dunnright00

Ikkō-ikki

• Grasshoppah
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts

Posted 14 February 2014 - 09:33 PM

Ok, I was able to disconnect the John Guest fittings, closed the door and pressed the water cradle.

Nothing came out..  :confused:

#15 BryanS

BryanS

Senpai

• Chief Appliantologist
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 896 posts

Posted 14 February 2014 - 09:41 PM

Nothing will come out if the tanks are frozen. Did you verify the water actually comes out of the water valve in the back? You will probably need to remove that shelf above them and remove the screws that hold the tanks on so you can hit both sides with a blow dryer or heat gun. Hopefully you have a water filter in because otherwise nothing will get through either. I had a customer take theirs out and threw it away and no one told me. I replaced the leaking water valve and couldn't figure out for the life of me why I had no water still.

#16 DurhamAppliance

DurhamAppliance

Sho' Nuff Chozin

• Grand Master Funk
  • 4,405 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Bells Two Hearted

Posted 15 February 2014 - 12:06 AM

If ice is being made , there is no issue with the filter or filter assembly but we will check it out anywqy

With these fridges, it's easier to track down the problem by starting at the valve.

1) turn water off
2) disconnect water line feeding into the valve, it is probably coming from the water filter assembly. As stated earlier, if ice i being made, you shouldn't have a problem with the filter assembly but we are doing this sequentially. Once the line is detached, turn spigot on to see if water comes out of the line. If it does, it confirms the filter and head assembly is good. Reattach water line to valve. Disconnect the larger line connected to the valve. It is a John Guest fitting. Make sure water is on then press dispenser, If water comes out, then you have a frozen line somewhere. If not, you either have a bad valve or an electrical problem.

If water does not come out there are several ways to determine if the problem is electical or the valve itself.

Remove the electrical connection on the water dispenser side of the valve (blue colored chamber). Use a meter to determine if 120vac is found when the dispenser is activated. If you get 120vac, replace valve. If not, check wiring at door. You can also introduce 120v to the valve using a lamp cord, etc and connect it to the valve. The third method is to switch the red and blue electrical connectors but they are different sizes on this particular valve.

Edited by DurhamAppliance, 15 February 2014 - 12:14 AM.

Durham Appliance Thrift & Repair, LLC

www.DurhamApplianceThrift.com

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Use the Appliantology Parts Finder to Get What You Need!
Enter a model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.

Your Sometimes-Lucid Host:
Samurai Appliance Repair Man
"If I can't help you fix your appliance and make you 100% satisfied, I will come to your home and slice open my belly,
spilling my steaming entrails onto your floor."

The Appliance Guru | AppliancePartsResource.com | Samurai's Blog

Real Time Analytics