Learn appliance repair at the Samurai Tech Academy.  Learn more.  Earn more.

Parts Search
Site Search

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Welcome to Appliantology.org, the Web's Premiere Appliance Repair Resource!

The world-famous Samurai Appliance Repair Forums

To get started, click here.

Already a member of the Appliantology Academy? Just sign in with your username and password in the upper right-hand corner of the screen.

Photo

Textbook

• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#1 BryanS

BryanS

Sensei

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,262 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:I don't drink

Posted 13 February 2014 - 09:34 PM

https://www.amazon.c...VPRJJ32STDDRMM

It's kind of a tool for noobs like me. I really liked the second edition (2007) of this book. It has really helped me learn some of the other appliances I've never really worked on. This 3rd edition was released in 2012 and I had no idea. I've probably had this second edition since 2012 and never thought to look. Well the reviews for the 3rd are better than the 2nd. I went ahead and bought one. I guess we will see whats inside. It looks like may cover front loaders n stuff this 2nd edition doesn't.

Use the Appliantology Parts Search Box to Find What You Need!
Enter your model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

#2 Samurai Appliance Repair Man

Samurai Appliance Repair Man

Shōgun

• Master Samurai Tech
  • 29,622 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Sapporo Original Draft Rice Lager

Posted 13 February 2014 - 09:43 PM

Also available in the Kindle edition:  https://www.amazon.c...7BH4Y762VB5HXE

I own both.  It's a good compendium of background information to have but lacking in some practical matters.  I'm going to use it as the "spine" text book for the Appliance Tech Boot Camp I'm putting together.  There will be required reading from the text in addition to the other, practical information I will be offering in the Boot Camp.

#3 BryanS

BryanS

Sensei

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,262 posts

Posted 13 February 2014 - 09:57 PM

Sweet. Yea. I like my books in physical form when I read :) My sister is the same way. She talked and talked about how she wanted a kindle. I bought her one for her birthday a few years back and she went back to paper books. I'm trying to prepare for master appliance tech certificate at the PSA convention. I did the practice exams and passed all but 3 sections on the first try with over a 90%+. Apparently I need some work on microwaves and gas stoves. The 3rd I failed was on water heaters, trash compactors, and garbage disposers. In my defense I never read or worked on garbage disposers or trash compactors. I passed it with a 90 the 2nd time after I read about them in that book. A certificate won't mean I'll be a master and be able to fix everything with ease of course, but it would be nice start when advertising for my business I think.. Otherwise I'll just certify on what I can pass.

Edited by BryanS, 13 February 2014 - 09:57 PM.

#4 certified tech group 51

certified tech group 51

Sensei

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,580 posts

Posted 15 February 2014 - 10:48 AM

When you have passed the certification tests, this does not look too bad on your work shirt...............084.jpg...

#5 BryanS

BryanS

Sensei

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,262 posts

Posted 15 February 2014 - 10:49 AM

I want one!

#6 BryanS

BryanS

Sensei

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,262 posts

Posted 15 February 2014 - 11:18 AM

Any tips? Did you do the practice exams first?

#7 Samurai Appliance Repair Man

Shōgun

• Master Samurai Tech
  • 29,622 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Sapporo Original Draft Rice Lager

Posted 15 February 2014 - 12:20 PM

My customers are always impressed when I walk into their home wearing my Banzai headband.   

31YPT73QC0L.jpg

Nothing says "Don't give me any crap about my pricing" like some guy with Samurai delusions walking into your home.  Helps to snarl and speak in one-syllable low tones, too.  

#8 certified tech group 51

certified tech group 51

Sensei

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,580 posts

Posted 15 February 2014 - 12:28 PM

No practice exams........This is on one shirt sleeve...084.jpg......and this is on the other....patch-Copy.jpg...........Some customers raise a eye brow when they get the bill, I tap the Renton Tech. patch with the pen and say   "Two years of college and the other patch is for continuing education "........

#9 BryanS

BryanS

Sensei

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,262 posts

Posted 15 February 2014 - 12:38 PM

Nice. I have 2 years college but it's for hvac. I don't think there any appliance programs around here :(

My customers are always impressed when I walk into their home wearing my Banzai headband.

31YPT73QC0L.jpg

Nothing says "Don't give me any crap about my pricing" like some guy with Samurai delusions walking into your home. Helps to snarl and speak in one-syllable low tones, too.

Haha. There is no way I could wear that into a customers home :)

#10 wishfultech

wishfultech

Yamabushi

• Grasshoppah
  • PipPip
  • 79 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:iced tea

Posted 15 February 2014 - 03:09 PM

I keep reading about the ''Boot Camp''. When will it be available? I have that book also. Because I am just starting to get interested in appliance repair ,I thought it might help.So far I like it o.k..

#11 DurhamAppliance

DurhamAppliance

Sho' Nuff Chozin

• Grand Master Funk
  • 4,962 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Bells Two Hearted

Posted 16 February 2014 - 03:11 PM

i rented that book from the library years ago. The thing that concerned me was a 2007 book on appliances did not address ADC systems in fridges that had been in use since 2001. I hope the 2012 book addresses appliances closer to its publication date.

Durham Appliance Thrift & Repair, LLC

www.DurhamApplianceThrift.com

#12 BryanS

BryanS

Sensei

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,262 posts

Posted 16 February 2014 - 03:22 PM

i rented that book from the library years ago. The thing that concerned me was a 2007 book on appliances did not address ADC systems in fridges that had been in use since 2001. I hope the 2012 book addresses appliances closer to its publication date.

True. I didn't read the refrigeration section much since I was specialized in them already. I know what you mean how they don't address some of the newer stuff. They also tend to use only Whirlpool model types more often in the pictures. I should have my third edition on Tuesday. Maybe he had been putting the whole book together since 2000 :) Who knows. I vote for a Samurai Appliance Repair textbook to be made! It comes with a free headband.

Edited by BryanS, 16 February 2014 - 03:22 PM.

#13 DurhamAppliance

DurhamAppliance

Sho' Nuff Chozin

• Grand Master Funk
  • 4,962 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Bells Two Hearted

Posted 18 February 2014 - 08:37 AM

Those patches are cool. But you have to move out the way, make room and let the tech wearing one of our Pulp Fiction inspired badges walk the through...

download%207_zpscp56zth0.jpg

Durham Appliance Thrift & Repair, LLC

www.DurhamApplianceThrift.com

#14 MicaBay

MicaBay

Master Roaster

• Sublime Master of Appliantology
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 797 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Drifter Pale Ale

Posted 18 February 2014 - 09:53 AM

I have my name on my patch... 27 years of training for a name like that!

#15 PDuff

PDuff

Sensei

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,011 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Bud Ice (Yeah, I know)

Posted 18 February 2014 - 11:34 AM

I just show them my scars, at least the ones that are visible.  "Appliance man bleeds on the inside!" 

#16 BryanS

BryanS

Sensei

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,262 posts

Posted 18 February 2014 - 02:24 PM

My third editon is finally here. Wow this book is almost twice as big as the second edition. 1200ish pages.

#17 BryanS

BryanS

Sensei

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,262 posts

Posted 19 February 2014 - 09:10 PM

It even has a chapter with error codes listed. That should prove useful since I mainly know refrigerator codes and not many other appliances. On page 458 already.

#18 Squeaky Clean

Squeaky Clean

Yamabushi

• Professional Appliantologist
  • PipPip
  • 61 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Benchmark Bourbon (Old Number 8) on the rocks & glass of coke on the side

Posted 21 August 2014 - 01:56 PM

I have a Kindle Fire and bought the electronic edition for my upcoming course. I'm going back and buy the hard cover book as some of the wiring diagrams are hard to make out and if you expand them, they just get blurrier.

“I’m on a path of enlightenment and would like to become an appliance repair technician. I’m looking for any and all suggestions from those who have made this journey.”

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Use the Appliantology Parts Finder to Get What You Need!
Enter a model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

Your Sometimes-Lucid Host:
"If I can't help you fix your appliance and make you 100% satisfied, I will come to your home and slice open my belly,
spilling my steaming entrails onto your floor."

The Appliance Guru | Master Samurai Tech

Real Time Analytics