Use this Search Box to Find Appliance Repair Help Now
Need help finding your model number?
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Welcome to Appliantology.org, the Web's Premiere Appliance Repair Resource for DIYers!

The world-famous Samurai Appliance Repair Forums

You can post a question and get repair help for FREE! Click here to get started.

Already a member of the Appliantology Academy? Just sign in with your username and password in the upper right-hand corner of the screen.

Photo

GE Microwave No Heat

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 CubbieBear84

CubbieBear84

Ikkō-ikki

• Professional Appliantologist
  • PipPip
  • 37 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Surlys

Posted 14 February 2014 - 01:13 PM

Model Number JVM1752DPWW

So I have the FixitNow.com Test Sheet courtesy of the Appliance Repair Man.  (Thanks) 

I have performed all tests on the sheet and here are my findings.

MAG

Resistance Test less than one ohm.   Ive got .3

Resistance Test Filament to chassis.  Infinite

TRANS

Primary .7 ohms

Secondary 116 ohms

Filament .3 ohms

(The only one that passes is the filament test?)

CAPACITOR

Momentarily indicates several ohms then returns to infinite.  It doesn't do that but I read that might be due to the fact that my meter doesn't have a 9V battery in it.

The terminal to case test indicated infinite.

Through all this testing im lead to believe the transformer is the problem?  Thanks guys.

Use the Appliantology Parts Search Box to Find What You Need!
Enter your model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

#2 BryanS

BryanS

Senpai

• Chief Appliantologist
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 948 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:I don't drink

Posted 14 February 2014 - 01:23 PM

From what I've been told its rarely a transformer. I just worked on a ge pvm1870 and ohmed out fine. It was still bad because the magnent was cracked. I would inspect it closely. I couldn't seem to get the transformer ohm reading to match up exactly to what the specs said either. Replaced the mag and it worked. There should be a tech sheet behind your control panel. I used the troubleshooting flow chart and it led me right to the magnetron as well. You will need an ammeter to measure amps in order to use the flowchart at certain points.
http://appliantology...g/?fromsearch=1

This is the link to my post on the one I fixed. It has some good testing procedures from other techs.

Edited by BryanS, 14 February 2014 - 01:22 PM.

#3 CubbieBear84

CubbieBear84

Ikkō-ikki

• Professional Appliantologist
  • PipPip
  • 37 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Surlys

Posted 14 February 2014 - 03:06 PM

I did pull out the mag, it looks fine.  No burns, cracks, or anything abnormal.  At a stand still......

#4 PDuff

PDuff

Sensei

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,791 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Bud Ice (Yeah, I know)

Posted 14 February 2014 - 03:20 PM

You can check the high voltage rectifier to make sure you don't have continuity in both directions.  But it could still the magnetron.  It seems in the recent years most of the no heat issues with microhoods have been attributed to the mag.  Even though it can ohm out correctly and not shorted to chassis, even though there's no damage to the antenna and no crack in the magnet, bad magnetrons.

It seems that the higher failure rate of the magnetrons coincided with the time the manufacturers did away with the 5 year part warranty.  Makes me wonder..........

#5 Samurai Appliance Repair Man

Samurai Appliance Repair Man

Shōgun

• Master Samurai Tech
  • 29,022 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Sapporo Original Draft Rice Lager

Posted 14 February 2014 - 11:59 PM

Try testing the magnetron using the Willie Method: http://appliantology...magnetron-tube/

And here's how to test the HV rectumflier:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Use the Appliantology Parts Finder to Get What You Need!
Enter a model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.

Your Sometimes-Lucid Host:
Samurai Appliance Repair Man
"If I can't help you fix your appliance and make you 100% satisfied, I will come to your home and slice open my belly,
spilling my steaming entrails onto your floor."

The Appliance Guru | AppliancePartsResource.com | Samurai's Blog

Real Time Analytics