Use this Search Box to Find Appliance Repair Help Now
Need help finding your model number?
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Welcome to Appliantology.org, the Web's Premiere Appliance Repair Resource for DIYers!

The world-famous Samurai Appliance Repair Forums

You can post a question and get repair help for FREE! Click here to get started.

Already a member of the Appliantology Academy? Just sign in with your username and password in the upper right-hand corner of the screen.

Photo

Bosch Dishwasher stains... Rust/Burns?

Bosch Dishwasher Rust Stains

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 stagr.lee

stagr.lee

Unsui

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 14 February 2014 - 02:53 PM

I come to the dojo seaking knowledge and harmony.

This is a Bosch dishwasher, well over 5 years old.  It started staining the dish tray about 4 months ago.  Just noticed the bottom of the plates started getting the same stain.  Is this rust or overheating thermal stress?  I run about 10-12 loads a week in this thing.  I live in Austin, TX which is primarly limestone (not much if any iron).  I use the Quantum Finish Powerball detergent pucks.  The house has a beefy whole house water filter which catches most of the lime and chlorene coming in from the water supply.

Model number is SHU9922UC

Thanks for your wisdom!
Stagr.Lee

Rust or burn marks?

Edited by stagr.lee, 14 February 2014 - 03:06 PM.

Use the Appliantology Parts Search Box to Find What You Need!
Enter your model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

#2 PDuff

PDuff

Sensei

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,776 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Bud Ice (Yeah, I know)

Posted 14 February 2014 - 04:03 PM

I see a "rainbow" effect on your stainless steel tub, which could be attributed to your water hardness.  Try a ph water test kit, they're available almost everywhere.

As far the dishes, could still be a washability problem.  Check the lower spray arm for debris inside that may keep it from properly rotating and spray.  Also inspect for any cracks, particular at the seam.  Check your drain hose for proper installation.  There should be a "gooseneck" formed by the hose where it attaches to your disposal or sink drain.  And try a different detergent, one that you can adjust the amount used.  Be sure to use a separate rinse aid as well.  Detergent and rinse aid usage can be critical for these energy efficient dishwashers.

#3 J5

J5

Kohai

• Sublime Master of Appliantology
  • PipPipPip
  • 488 posts

Posted 14 February 2014 - 08:55 PM

water issue

could be your pipes in the house or

is it connected to hot water ?, could be coming out of your HW service

#4 stagr.lee

stagr.lee

Unsui

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 17 February 2014 - 11:56 PM

Great advice guys.  Checked the spray arms, no cracks or clogging.  Found some calcium build up but not enough to prohibit movement.  The caked calcium was the same color as the stains on the trays, dish bottoms and the sprayer exterior so I think everything is lime with some kind of detergent staining.  The stain comes off the dishes with some softscrub. A finger nail will get the stain off the plastic bits inside.  Feels like lime so I ran a load with a cup of vinegar and it knocked off quite a bit of the staining in the machine.

Checked the gooseneck, looks good there.

Checked the anode in my 8 year old water heater.  It was due for replacement so I popped a new one in.  About 1/2 of the magnesium was gone.  I think what happened was I didn't flush the hot water tank long enough last time and a cloud of limestone ended up in the dishwasher.

#5 stagr.lee

stagr.lee

Unsui

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 23 February 2014 - 11:58 PM

Lemi Shine for the win.  It knocked the stains right off.  Ends up my Dishwasher was new in 2000 (model SHU9922UC/U12) and back in shape.  BTW - I've been lurking on this site of and on for years and finally get teh Frank Zappa reference.

Lemim Shine Fix

#6 SANTA

SANTA

Senpai

• Sublime Master of Appliantology
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 791 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Windsor/Molson

Posted 24 February 2014 - 12:46 AM

Lemi-Shine is great stuff. I use the rinse aid version and I have a case of the boxed ones that your showing. I give them to customers who are having similar problems.

#7 telefunkenu47

telefunkenu47

Kohai

• Master Appliantologist
  • PipPipPip
  • 404 posts

Posted 04 March 2014 - 07:14 PM

CLR work pretty good as well.

Even root canal is easy...if you're a dentist...

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Bosch, Dishwasher, Rust Stains

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Use the Appliantology Parts Finder to Get What You Need!
Enter a model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.

Your Sometimes-Lucid Host:
Samurai Appliance Repair Man
"If I can't help you fix your appliance and make you 100% satisfied, I will come to your home and slice open my belly,
spilling my steaming entrails onto your floor."

The Appliance Guru | AppliancePartsResource.com | Samurai's Blog

Real Time Analytics