Learn appliance repair at the Samurai Tech Academy.  Learn more.  Earn more.

Parts Search
Site Search

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Welcome to Appliantology.org, the Web's Premiere Appliance Repair Resource!

The world-famous Samurai Appliance Repair Forums

To get started, click here.

Already a member of Appliantology? Just sign in with your username and password in the upper right-hand corner of the screen.

Photo

whirlpool /k.aid dual evaporator models

bottom mount

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Hiroshi

Hiroshi

Unsui

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Root Beer

Posted 14 February 2014 - 10:09 PM

Cooling in fridge, but not in freezer. All service tests completed, but still no cooling in freezer after service test 4 (which should advance the 3 way valve) AND replacement of valve solenoid. The test functions are completely useless in verification of solenoid/valve operation... Wiring diagram claims voltage can not be read for solenoid.... Any ideas out there?

Use the Appliantology Parts Search Box to Find What You Need!
Enter your model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

#2 Hiroshi

Hiroshi

Unsui

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 14 February 2014 - 10:14 PM

Model WRF989sdam00, solenoid part#w10364560

#3 DurhamAppliance

DurhamAppliance

Sho' Nuff Chozin

• Grand Master Funk
  • 5,901 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Bells Two Hearted

Posted 15 February 2014 - 08:20 AM

When you intiate the test, you are suppose to touch the 3-way to feel it change position. This is the standard 3way test for most models. You can, however, check the coil at the board for proper resistance:

Screenshot_2014-02-15-08-27-41_zpscbj5xc

Edited by DurhamAppliance, 15 February 2014 - 08:31 AM.

Durham Appliance Thrift & Repair, LLC

www.DurhamApplianceThrift.com

#4 macifre

macifre

Samanera

• Appliantologist
  • Pip
  • 19 posts

Posted 18 March 2015 - 05:07 PM

Was the solenoid to blame? Is it often the valve or is it more probable the solenoid as the culprit?

always looking for truckloads of scratch and dent appliances!

#5 Hiroshi

Hiroshi

Unsui

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 20 March 2015 - 11:44 PM

In my last two experiences with this model, things went much the same as described above. The problem ended up being a sealed system issue requiring a new evaporator installation... I know this because the customers were still under warranty, but wanted a trusted opinion before proceeding with the warranty repair and let me see the job ticket. One of them mentioned a blockage disallowing refrigerant flow to the freezer at sufficient volume: Both machines had normal FF temps, but low 50's in the FZ. So, unless you relish delicate sealed system work, you may want to identify a decent Whirlpool factory outfit in your locality to dish these on when you diagnose this! In Chicagoland, Diamond Factory Service handled it without shame...

#6 Hiroshi

Hiroshi

Unsui

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 20 March 2015 - 11:56 PM

Also wanted to add that the diagnostics seemed completely blind to the problem and the unit simply chugged continuously in pursuing proper freezer temp, if the issue isnt accompanied by an error code the computer becomes an instant hindrance on some of these recent (rather shaky) attempts at dual evap systems. Some of them contain odd plastic valve type pieces in their tubing that aren't electronic and would require MRI equipment to observe their function under use.

#7 DurhamAppliance

DurhamAppliance

Sho' Nuff Chozin

• Grand Master Funk
  • 5,901 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Bells Two Hearted

Posted 21 March 2015 - 06:25 AM

I cringe when I hear "whirlpool dual evap" or "GE SxS dual evap" At least GE was smart enough to contract with Samsung to produce their fdbm dual evaps, at least until they are able to produce a reliable model themselves. Although Samsungs have their issues (usually simple drainage/defrost isuues) , their dual evap systems are vastly superior.

Durham Appliance Thrift & Repair, LLC

www.DurhamApplianceThrift.com

#8 Applianceman97

Applianceman97

"Hollywood"

• Grand Master Funk
  • 2,731 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Fresh Squeezed IPA

Posted 22 March 2015 - 01:04 PM

I cringe at just "whirlpool". You don't even have to make it to the dual evap part.
Just-in TIme Logo.jpg

Kicks major Samsung booty first, asks diagnostic questions later.

http://www.justintimeappliance.com

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Use the Appliantology Parts Finder to Get What You Need!
Enter a model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

Your Sometimes-Lucid Host:
Samurai Appliance Repair Man
"If I can't help you fix your appliance and make you 100% satisfied, I will come to your home and slice open my belly,
spilling my steaming entrails onto your floor."

The Appliance Guru | Master Samurai Tech

Real Time Analytics