Need appliance parts? Call 877-803-7957 now or use the parts search box:

Parts Search

Learn appliance repair at online the Master Samurai Tech Academy.  Learn more.  Earn more.

FAQs | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Podcast | Contact

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
jathan

Northland overload relay

6 posts in this topic

I have a Northland Desginer Series Refrigerator with top freezer. Does anyone have a parts diagram or can tell me where the overload relay is located?

Thanks.

Need appliance parts? Call 877-803-7957 now!

Yes, I had the whole compressor module replaced a few years ago. Having trouble with it again.

Model # DS24TSILNNC

yeah, from reading your previous post, it was obvious there was a problem in the start windings in the compressor /relay system. You experienced something I've advised techs to check ie testing a seemingly fine running compressor by unplugging it, immediately plugging it back in and seeing if it will restart on its own without having to leave it unplugged for a period of time. Samurai gave it a good name the other day, "stressing the compressor." Since you still had the problem after changing the start relay, you definitely had a bad compressor.

Northlands are strange beasts, I cannot find anything on them and have never worked on one. . If you know how to access your compressor, the relay should be directly attached to it. Can you provide a picture lf your compressor making sure to include an image of anything directly attached to it?

Edited by DurhamAppliance

I replaced the overload protector and relay for the compressor in April. It worked semi-fine for several months ( when coming out the defrost cycle, the relay would trip and cause the buzzing noise but the compressor would eventually start after 2 min). Anybody seen this before?

Now it doesn't always start again after 2 min, most of the time I have to turn off the frig for a few minutes then turn it back on again. I think that the overload protector is defective. I removed it and tested the resitance with a multi-meter. It wasnt giving me a "0" reading the whole time.

If I replace the overload protector again, should the relay also be replaced?

Any other tests I should try?

My apologies, I forgot to add the model # in my previous post:  NM10A.

Also tried "stressing the compressor" by unplugging the frig while the compressor was running. The compressor did not start when I plugged it back in again, had to turn off the frig for a few miminutes and turn it back on again for it to work.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0