LIMITED TIME OFFER: Use code 10YEARS10 to get 10% off your Appliantology membership. Click here for more ×
Click here to check out this guide

FAQs | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Contact

• Upcoming Events

No upcoming events found

Service manual GE ZISW42EMD

NCARepair

I need to change the drain trough and pan heater on this model.  The ZIS service manual in the archives show the evap fan in the top of the freezer.  This unit has the evap fan behind a removable evap cover held in place by four screws. It looks like a cooler cover. I think the condensing unit has to be removed to change it but want to be sure. Thanks

aww man... how did I miss that? A simple zis* search brings it right up... okay... penance...

I will always search the library thoroughly regardless of how many beers I had.

hoo boy copying and pasting is sure a lot of work...

I will always search the library thoroughly regardless of how many beers I had... etc

• Like 2

Nope, have that one. Notice on page eight of the last on the list (the typewriter written one) the evap fan is mounted to the top of the freezer. Mine is mounted behind an access panel located behind the grill. The parts lookup shows it pretty well for this model. It is under unit parts. Same as model zisw42emc,can't find zisw42emd but that is what the tag says.

• Team Samurai

Nope, have that one.

One?  There are THREE manuals on that page.  Those three comprise the entire GE universe of manuals for their ZIS models.  

Yes I have them all. The first two are later models with the electronics an inverter compressor. The last is the older zis series manual. What I am saying is that it does not show the evaporator fan motor in the same place. Look up the model number I gave and compare it to the manual, not the same.

• Team Samurai

That's all there is for ZISW* at the GE site.  The only possibilities left are:

1. One of those manuals is the correct one

2. The manual doesn't exist 

There is, however, a freezer icing bulletin that may help:  http://appliantology.org/files/file/1326-ge-refrigerator-icing-kit-wr49x10021-service-bulletin/

Tracked down a retired GE tech friend of mine.  He said the manuals for the first generation monograms are difficult to find, even at GE. The manual in the manual downloads are for the third generation and forward.  Here in southern California GE was rebuilding the condensing units and exchanging them with five year warranties. I will post back when I get this done and let you know how much of the 10021 drain pan kit will actually fit.  I think only the pan and heater, none of the foam blocks will fit that come with the kit as they are for later models. Thanks for the help.

• Team Samurai

I will post back when I get this done and let you know how much of the 10021 drain pan kit will actually fit.  I think only the pan and heater, none of the foam blocks will fit that come with the kit as they are for later models. Thanks for the help.

Domo, I'd like to know this!  

that's GE for you... They claim they make the power to make the beer but they can't even make a manual to cover their models.

that has to be one of the dumbest commercials ever.

btw does this mean I can stop my penance now?

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

OK here goes.  The drain pan heater is not available anymore by itself.  Ordered the drain pan kit that GE says will fit.  Not even close.  The NLA heater is used in the kit though.  The foam block under the drain pan ,heater and aluminum pan are RTV together.  Carefully cut the RTV away and remove the heater from the pan and install on the old pan.  The original pan is stainless steel and cleans up nice.  The original foam block below the pan was saturated so if you cut about 1.5 inches off the end of the new foam block, it will fit. Be careful doing this repair as you have to slide the evaporator out the front. Repair as best you can any formed foam pieces that may have been damaged by the defrost heater.  The instructions and all the many other pieces  in the kit are not used.  Other then that, a simple repair. There you have it.

• Like 1