Use this Search Box to Find Appliance Repair Help Now
Need help finding your model number?
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Welcome to Appliantology.org, the Web's Premiere Appliance Repair Resource for DIYers!

The world-famous Samurai Appliance Repair Forums

You can post a question and get repair help for FREE! Click here to get started.

Already a member of the Appliantology Academy? Just sign in with your username and password in the upper right-hand corner of the screen.

Photo

Whirlpool SxS not staying cold

whirlpool thermostat sxs defroster

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 yimmy

yimmy

Unsui

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:shiner

Posted 17 February 2014 - 11:30 AM

I have a whirlpool SxS that is having some issues. Last night we noticed it wasn't very cool so we emptied it out and cleaned the coils (they were pretty caked with lint).

Now it seems like the there's an issue with either the thermostat or the defroster. It will run for awhile and then just stop. Things looked good when we went to bed last night but I woke up to a freezer that was 40 degrees and a fridge that was 60 degrees.

How can I determine exactly what the issue is so I can find out if it's worth repairing or replacing.

Make: Whirlpool

Model: ED5JHGXRB00

I should add that if I play with the temp setting after it stops it comes back on at the lowest setting (almost off)

Use the Appliantology Parts Search Box to Find What You Need!
Enter your model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

#2 DurhamAppliance

DurhamAppliance

Sho' Nuff Chozin

• Grand Master Funk
  • 4,561 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Bells Two Hearted

Posted 17 February 2014 - 12:29 PM

sounds like classic thermostat failure.  You can access the thermostat and jump the two wires connected to it (not the ground).  Your fridge will continue to run (except during defrost) until you replace the thermostat.

Durham Appliance Thrift & Repair, LLC

www.DurhamApplianceThrift.com

#3 yimmy

yimmy

Unsui

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 17 February 2014 - 01:25 PM

Did some research and some people think it could be the starter relay as the thermostat is functioning some of the time and it's possible the compressor is just not coming on when it should?

It seems to have been running fine for the last 3 hours. :(

#4 Samurai Appliance Repair Man

Samurai Appliance Repair Man

Shōgun

• Master Samurai Tech
  • 29,031 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Sapporo Original Draft Rice Lager

Posted 17 February 2014 - 02:03 PM

You can check the relay with the shake test.  Also, listen for the hum-click cha-cha:

Part number: AP3885081

Part number: AP3885081

#5 DurhamAppliance

DurhamAppliance

Sho' Nuff Chozin

• Grand Master Funk
  • 4,561 posts

Posted 17 February 2014 - 04:40 PM

if the evap fan turns off when cooling should be occurring, then it is your thermostat or timer. Jumping, as previously mentioned, will allow you to discern between the two

You need to better define "comes back on." What exactly turns off? if only the compressor, then it is either a compressor or start relay problem. The shake test as shown in the video may help you to discern between the two.

Edited by DurhamAppliance, 17 February 2014 - 04:45 PM.

#6 yimmy

yimmy

Unsui

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 17 February 2014 - 06:06 PM

When I say it turns off it's completely silent. Both the fan and the compressor are off. It hasn't had issues with coming back on like it did before, but now even when the fridge is on the coldest setting it will only go down to 46 degrees.

#7 Samurai Appliance Repair Man

Shōgun

• Master Samurai Tech
  • 29,031 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Sapporo Original Draft Rice Lager

Posted 17 February 2014 - 07:17 PM

but now even when the fridge is on the coldest setting it will only go down to 46 degrees.

We need to look at three things:

1.  The condition of the condenser fan motor (running or not)

2.  The condition of the condenser grill itself (plugged up with Fido fur or not)

3.  The frost pattern on the evaporator coil.

Start with items 1 and 2 because they're easier to do.  Do tell.  

#8 DurhamAppliance

DurhamAppliance

Sho' Nuff Chozin

• Grand Master Funk
  • 4,561 posts

Posted 17 February 2014 - 08:46 PM

It's really difficult when we are only given partially information. Intially we were given temps for both fridge and freezer. The update only gives us fridge temps. The update also only relays fridge setting but nothing on freezer setting. Some supposition must take place until we are advised otherwise. First let's examine our facts:

1)fridge turns off completely but came on when fiddling with control

2)fridge continually running

3)fridge control set to max

4) now complains of 46f temp in fridge

5) did not mention freezer temp problem when reporting update

To these facts let's add some reasonable suppositions
-freezer temp is okay
-freezer control maxed along with fridge control.

If we add our facts and suppositions together we get the following potential diagnosis...
A bad cold control with freezer control maxed out causing a closed or partially closed damper.

If suppositions are inaccurate then I would look at a bad adc board causing erratic defrosting

Suggestion... set freezer control to middle setting and bypass thermostat. If fans turn off again, replace adc.

Edited by DurhamAppliance, 17 February 2014 - 09:40 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Use the Appliantology Parts Finder to Get What You Need!
Enter a model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.

Your Sometimes-Lucid Host:
"If I can't help you fix your appliance and make you 100% satisfied, I will come to your home and slice open my belly,
spilling my steaming entrails onto your floor."

The Appliance Guru | AppliancePartsResource.com | Samurai's Blog

Real Time Analytics