Need appliance parts? Call 877-803-7957 now or use the parts search box:

Parts Search

Learn how to troubleshoot using schematics like a real tech…

Click here to check out our structured, online appliance repair training courses for rookies and experienced techs.

FAQs | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Podcast | Contact

Stay connected with us...

Samurai on Facebook - become a fan today! Sign up for our free newsletter and keep up with all things Appliantology. Subscribe to our YouTube channel for lots of appliance repair tips and help! Follow the Samurai on Twitter and get timely morsels of Appliantological Wisdom! Subscribe to our MST Radio podcast to learn secrets of the trade.
dcmetro

GE Refrigerator (TFX22CRDA BB) Not Cooling Enough. Food getting spoiled. Help!

28 posts in this topic

I have the same problem, so I opened up my fridge and turned the defrost timer (not marked, but from your post I am guessing thats what it is) and I heard a motor noise start in my freezer. I am not sure what this means.  Does this mean my heater is working? Is there anything else I need to do?

Need appliance parts? Call 877-803-7957 now!

I have a similar problem in a GE TFX24RRA WH.  The defrost timer has been clicking like a clock for a long time and I have frost on back wall of freezer.  Rotating the timer causes the fans to cycle off.  Shall I leave it off?  Planning on manually defrosting today but I'm kind of lost as to how to determine whether the problem is the timer or the heater.  I also have a bad refrig gasket and live in So FL which may be contributing to the problem.  Guess it's time to replace. 

I just finished my install.  I ordered all 3 parts, bu once I got started I figured I only needed to replace the heater (WR51X10053).  I saw the heater, and the glass tube associated with it was BLACK and SMOKEY. So I am guessing that is the problem.  One thing to note, defrost your freezer before you start.  The heater can be accessed by just taking off the inside cover of the freezer (4 screws-- 2 phillips and 2 3/16 hex screws).  If you decide to do the bi-metal (WR50X122) you have to take the icemaker out and apart.  And then the part that comes does not have a connector, so you will need something to splice the wires together.  Good luck, my gasket seal was fine.  You might want to start by fixing that.  Also one other note, my freezer wall was full of ice also (my kids made snowballs).  If you manually defrost, you probably will get 7-10 days good use out of it, before you notice a problem again.  I manually defrosted mine, and afterwrd it took 10 days for the problem to re-surface.  good luck.