Use this Search Box to Find Appliance Repair Help Now
Need help finding your model number?
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Welcome to Appliantology.org, the Web's Premiere Appliance Repair Resource for DIYers!

The world-famous Samurai Appliance Repair Forums

You can post a question and get repair help for FREE! Click here to get started.

Already a member of the Appliantology Academy? Just sign in with your username and password in the upper right-hand corner of the screen.

Photo

F11 Error, regular customer at the time.

duet f11 communication error worst idea ever

• Please log in to reply
29 replies to this topic

#21 -Mike-

-Mike-

Kohai

• Appliantologist
  • PipPipPip
  • 338 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:diet Pepsi

Posted 16 March 2014 - 12:53 AM

I had a samsung front load set like that. Luckily that built in a cabinet door to the side of the unit so I could access the hoses and vent.

Now when I see that the price goes up! Very easy to do with the online blue book. Add on pain in the ass charge for an extra $75

I love those cabinet doors.

I had a landlord call me because his dryer vent came disconnected on a stacked unit. To get the unit out I had to remove the bathroom door, pull the washer/dryer out of the pocket, turn it 90 degreese and push it in to the bathroom. After spending 45 minutes doing that, I finally got a peek behind the washer only to see someone installed an access door behind the washer in to the bedroom closet  on the opposite side of  the wall.

I spent 2 hours on what could have been a 10 minute job if I had only known...

Use the Appliantology Parts Search Box to Find What You Need!
Enter your model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

#22 Samurai Appliance Repair Man

Samurai Appliance Repair Man

Shōgun

• Master Samurai Tech
  • 29,064 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Sapporo Original Draft Rice Lager

Posted 16 March 2014 - 04:15 PM

I hate stacked units! Makes it hard when your a one man show. No way to install them without customers help.

You think it's hard now, just wait 'till you're 50-something.  That's why you and Mrs. applianceman need to get busy popping out the reproductive units.  That way, you can train them while you're still young and virile so they'll be able to do the heavy lifting for you when you're a crotchety old guy.  Yeah, I can see it now:  applianceman sitting back swilling a perfectly chilled microbrew as you supervise the spudlets removing a stack laundry unit for you so you can go in with your meter and tools to do the cranial part of the job.  Nice!

#23 applianceman97

applianceman97

Baby Sensei

• Grand Master Funk
  • 1,703 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Fresh Squeezed IPA

Posted 16 March 2014 - 04:22 PM

Now that sounds like a great idea. I can be the brain. They can be the muscle.

Kicks major Samsung booty first, asks diagnostic questions later.

http://www.justintimeappliance.com

#24 Thirstytech

Thirstytech

Kohai

• Sublime Master of Appliantology
  • PipPipPip
  • 349 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Bells Oberon

Posted 17 March 2014 - 04:19 PM

I looked at the photo that started this thread earlier today and thought "who does shit like that?!!"  JINX

This was my next call this afternoon!  And yes, I needed to but was not able remove the cabinet - "well, ummm, call me once you get the washer accessible and I'll be back"   I think the "load in" sequence in this room was: washer, laundry tub, dryer, toilet - 10lbs of $hit in a 2 pound bag!

photo_zps61c85de3.jpg

Edited by Thirstytech, 17 March 2014 - 04:20 PM.

#25 sh2sh2

sh2sh2

Senpai

• PipPipPipPip
  • 626 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:yeunling

Posted 17 March 2014 - 06:35 PM

I looked at the photo that started this thread earlier today and thought "who does shit like that?!!"  JINX

This was my next call this afternoon!  And yes, I needed to but was not able remove the cabinet - "well, ummm, call me once you get the washer accessible and I'll be back"   I think the "load in" sequence in this room was: washer, laundry tub, dryer, toilet - 10lbs of $hit in a 2 pound bag!

photo_zps61c85de3.jpg

depending how nice your were feeling you may have been able to pull the cabinet forward a bit then lift it straight up and out of the way, i have done that once when i knew it just needed a coupler.  But on days i didnt feel like messing around i would tell um to call back

#26 wobiii

wobiii

Ikkō-ikki

• PipPip
  • 55 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Bud light

Posted 25 March 2014 - 09:50 PM

Damn this thread blew up, sorry for the delay but we have an 11 month old now so I don't get on as much as I used to. The washer was stacked on bricks. 5 bricks inside a drip pan. I told the customer that I'd parts monkey and change the motor control and hope that would solve the problem and if not the gas dryer and washer would have to be removed (not by me) to have the main control changed. She was pretty insistent that I could just take it out. I was able to remove the bottom trim to access the kick plate and take it off to change the mcu and thankfully that fixed it. She turned out to be a total ass later about anything she could be and in retrospect I should have told her to call sears and good luck. I did get the beast tamed though so I'll take that as my reward.

“A man is most accurately judged by how he treats those who are not in a position either to retaliate or to reciprocate.”

#27 wobiii

wobiii

Ikkō-ikki

• PipPip
  • 55 posts

Posted 25 March 2014 - 10:09 PM

My hats off to you, J5, for wanting to work on it.

But myself....I wouldn't even say that because then when its repaired they are going to want me to jam it back in that hole. Even if I didn't have to reinstall it, and all I had to do was fix it sitting in the middle of the living room and leave it there when I'm finished I still wouldn't touch it. In the slight chance I have to warranty my repair on it,  they are going to want me to remove the unit myself or they will want me to pay to have it done and reinstalled since its my fault the part I replaced failed. Even if it wasn't my part that failed they are still going to blame me for it. IMO its not worth the profit on a repair to have to deal with that set up in any way in the future.

I've learned the hard way some things are not worth getting involved with. As long as I have been doing this I have just a few things I wish I never even started. Its not often when I'll walk away from something but that install job would definitely be one of them.

Exactly, but at the time she was a good customer and I was trying not to throw her to the wolves. In retrospect I should have walked away but instead took it on and fixed the problem. It wasn't worth the money to have to deal with a bitter customer after that.

You think it's hard now, just wait 'till you're 50-something.  That's why you and Mrs. applianceman need to get busy popping out the reproductive units.  That way, you can train them while you're still young and virile so they'll be able to do the heavy lifting for you when you're a crotchety old guy.  Yeah, I can see it now:  applianceman sitting back swilling a perfectly chilled microbrew as you supervise the spudlets removing a stack laundry unit for you so you can go in with your meter and tools to do the cranial part of the job.  Nice!

You could even bring beer with you and have them drive! My retirement plan has been altered.

“A man is most accurately judged by how he treats those who are not in a position either to retaliate or to reciprocate.”

#28 wobiii

wobiii

Ikkō-ikki

• PipPip
  • 55 posts

Posted 25 March 2014 - 10:14 PM

people are dumb

they dont think about service

interior designers make these nice looking things and then people see them and think oh that nice lets do that

kitchen people that dont have the balls or intelligence to say to people thats not a good idea because of x y and z

people ask me about a lot of things and i always tell them all the negative things , they can then make an informed decision

Like the interior desecrators that put a side by side next to a wall.

#29 Fisherking1979

Fisherking1979

Ikkō-ikki

• Professional Appliantologist
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Sam adams

Posted 27 June 2014 - 09:43 PM

Two incidents I ran into was first a kenmore top load washer buried between two built in cabinets and a steel beam in front.
Also I was called to a dishwasher repair where there was a wall on the left and counters on the right but the wall and floor tiles were built out so it couldn't be accessed by the kick plate or disconnected.

#30 olyteddy

olyteddy

Kohai

• PipPipPip
  • 322 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Earl Grey

Posted 27 June 2014 - 09:58 PM

Like the interior desecrators that put a side by side next to a wall.

Any Fridge next to a wall...It's not like the architectural drawing doesn't include the Fridge's width with the door open...

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: duet, f11, communication error, worst idea ever

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Use the Appliantology Parts Finder to Get What You Need!
Enter a model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.

Your Sometimes-Lucid Host:
Samurai Appliance Repair Man
"If I can't help you fix your appliance and make you 100% satisfied, I will come to your home and slice open my belly,
spilling my steaming entrails onto your floor."

The Appliance Guru | AppliancePartsResource.com | Samurai's Blog

Real Time Analytics