Use this Search Box to Find Appliance Repair Help Now
Need help finding your model number?
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Welcome to Appliantology.org, the Web's Premiere Appliance Repair Resource for DIYers!

The world-famous Samurai Appliance Repair Forums

You can post a question and get repair help for FREE! Click here to get started.

Already a member of the Appliantology Academy? Just sign in with your username and password in the upper right-hand corner of the screen.

Photo

GE pot scrubber model GSD2220Z04BB is it worth fixing?

• Please log in to reply
22 replies to this topic

#1 vudutu

vudutu

Ikkō-ikki

• Grasshoppah
  • PipPip
  • 49 posts

Posted 22 February 2014 - 11:52 AM

I am working on an older GE pot scrubber dishwasher that I posted about back in 2009. At that time I recall I put a new inlet valve on it and have not heard about it since.

http://appliantology...s-to-be-primed/

Now two new renters later it is acting up again. Current renter reported half dissolved soap packs in the soap tray. FYI this renter is on the road a lot and it does not get used regulary. It appears to be doing the same thing as last time.

I disarmed the latch lockout and opened the door a crack, started it and it spurts out a small initial little burst then stops. Looks like it is just recirculating what was in the unit and not filling. I let it go for a while and it just sat there, no more water entered and it did not fill. I stopped it then dumped in a quart of water, it slowly starter to pump more, the rotor arms started slowly turning. I let it go through a full wesh/dry cycle with no soap in it a couple of times then tried it with soap, same thing, half dissolved soap packs in the soap tray. It also does not seem like the heating coil is getting hot, 

I took the plastic drain grate out of the bottom and cleaned it, checked to see the water shut off is full open and checked to see the floatie thingy seems free. 

Thoughts?

Use the Appliantology Parts Search Box to Find What You Need!
Enter your model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

#2 Scottthewolf

Scottthewolf

Senpai

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,820 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Dunkin Donuts Coffee

Posted 22 February 2014 - 05:42 PM

These are one of the cheapest dishwashers on the market and depending on the age of the unit, it may need a whole pump and motor assembly Part number: AP2616850

Part number: AP2616850

Edited by Samurai Appliance Repair Man, 22 February 2014 - 10:47 PM.

Scott Wolf

#3 electro_doc

electro_doc

Senpai

• Sublime Master of Appliantology
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 800 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:orange juice

Posted 22 February 2014 - 09:51 PM

sounds like it's just not getting water again. check the valve.  It may have a screen in it you can clean.  It sounds like it wants to let water in but is being restricted somehow.  Check to see if you have good water to the valve.  If so, see if you have a screen to clean in the valve where the water coming in hooks up.

#4 vudutu

vudutu

Ikkō-ikki

• Grasshoppah
  • PipPip
  • 49 posts

Posted 23 February 2014 - 11:04 AM

Scottthewolf, if it is the pump it's not worth fixing, electro_doc, I'll check the flow, I am also going to check to see if the heating element is working. I am wondering if low water temp is the reason the soap pack is not dissolving.

Thanks, I will work on it and post back.

#5 electro_doc

electro_doc

Senpai

• PipPipPipPip
  • 800 posts

Posted 23 February 2014 - 11:46 AM

yes, low water will cause that.  I agree, something simple ok, something like motor or pump maybe not.  If however you are doing the work then a pump seal kit might be worth it.  Sounds like your motor is ok and sounds like your pump is ok.  I believe you said when you put water in that it ran ok.

Doc

Edited by electro_doc, 23 February 2014 - 11:55 AM.

#6 vudutu

vudutu

Ikkō-ikki

• Grasshoppah
  • PipPip
  • 49 posts

Posted 03 March 2014 - 05:33 PM

Back on this, I went looking for an affordable replacement but have not found anything local yet

Here is the report-

Even after multiple cycles with no soap in it it still has nasty soapy water in the bottom

Dishwasher pump is working, I disabled the door switch held it open an inch and it popped up the little center spray thingy, arms spun and shot water 12 feet across the room

I took off the incoming water line at the valve and I have good flow

I have continuity on the valve

I do not have any voltage upon starting a cycle at the inlet valve connector

Reviewed and prayed to Oh Great Appliance God's FAQ         http://fixitnow.com/...her-drainology/

I cleaned the sump entrance screen

My unit has posts and a spot for the self clean unit described in the FAQ bit there is no hole in the tub or one there

Pulled the unit and checked to see I have continuity on the drain valve

I do not have any voltage upon starting a cycle at the drain valve connector

No a new disposal has not been installed recently

Do not see any kinkiness going on with the drain hose

Bad drain valve or timer?

THANKS!

#7 electro_doc

electro_doc

Senpai

• PipPipPipPip
  • 800 posts

Posted 03 March 2014 - 05:47 PM

I think the drain valve normally kicks in right at the beginning of the cycle for a minute or two to drain out any left over water before starting a new cycle.  It is however sometimes difficult to to check because it is sensitive and putting it on by hand is not easy.  The best thing to do is put a jumper cord on the solenoid, 110 volts direct and see if it energizes.  If it does then maybe it's a bad timer.  I'd go with the solenoid though before the timer.  You have to pass or eliminate it first before you can proceed further.  You could also ohm it out if you can't rig a test cord.

Doc

#8 -Mike-

-Mike-

Kohai

• Appliantologist
  • PipPipPip
  • 338 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:diet Pepsi

Posted 03 March 2014 - 11:37 PM

Sometimes you have to let the timer go through the drain position on its own to check for power at the drain solenoid. You can start the dishwasher and just watch a volt meter connected to the drain solenoid wires and it should power the drain solenoid within 10 minutes from a start position. Like electro_doc said, its very easy to pass the drain position on the timer when turning it manually.

If you don't get any power to the drain solenoid its going to be a bad timer or a broken wire.

About if the dishwasher is worth fixing or not for a renter...If it was my dishwasher and it was in decent condition I  would fix it, even if it is a pump. Its a cheap dishwasher but they work well with how most renters use things. They have a lot of power and a  high water level so they work better then the new ones as far as washing and rinseing goes if the tennant is  treating the dishwasher as a garbage disposal. Most tennants I deal with can kill a new energy efficiany, water conserving dishwasher in a year.

#9 olyteddy

olyteddy

Kohai

• PipPipPip
  • 330 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Earl Grey

Posted 03 March 2014 - 11:52 PM

The drain solenoid on most of these GEs is momentary action. They pull a flap down in the pump housing then release. The water being pumped out the drain then holds the flap in place. Try flipping the flap by hand and see if the pump pressure will hold it in drain mode.

#10 vudutu

vudutu

Ikkō-ikki

• Grasshoppah
  • PipPip
  • 49 posts

Posted 06 March 2014 - 02:42 PM

Flipped the drain flap manually like olyteddy suggested and it drained OK put 2 quarts in the bottom again and flipped again and it drained.

Ran the cycle with a multimeter connected to the drain wires like Mike suggested and watched for 15 min, no voltage.

Attached jumper to the drain solinoid like electro_doc suggested and it works.

Also noted that running the dish dry cycle does not heat the element. 

At this point I am thinking timer, what do yoy experts think? If get pump seals while I am at it, thats $100. I found a Frigidaire FFBD2403LW never used on craigslist, was put in when the owners rehabbed to sell the house, new owner wants stainless so they are asking $200, I think I can get it for less. Decision time!

#11 Chat_in_FL

Chat_in_FL

Havoc

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,321 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:What's on tap?

Posted 06 March 2014 - 03:22 PM

These GE's are not good at being left alone for any period of time. The motors seize, the drain flapper warps, timer develops

dead spots. I would change brands for long periods of inactivity...

We, the unwilling, led by the unknowing, are doing the impossible for the ungrateful. We have done so much, for so long, with so little, we are now qualified to do anything with nothing.

Mother Teresa

#12 electro_doc

electro_doc

Senpai

• PipPipPipPip
  • 800 posts

Posted 06 March 2014 - 09:35 PM

Sure sounds like a timer.  About the only other thing to do would be to check the wires from the timer to the solenoid to make sure they are not brocken.  Check continuity.   I can't ever remember changing a timer on a pot scrubber.

Doc

#13 Budget Appliance Repair

Budget Appliance Repair

Sensei

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,754 posts

Posted 07 March 2014 - 07:20 AM

Getting no water, drain solenoid never activates and heater doesn't work.

Most likely a problem with the push button selector switch bank, neutral for all of those circuits are ran thru one of those switches.  Pull the cover over the push-button switch bank and look for burnt/crispy wire connectors, they had a problem with these and the new switch kit comes with all new connectors and 6 inch wires to replace burnt wiring.

I'm pretty sure it's going to be the energy saver switch, (the one farthest to the left on the control panel). Part number: AP2617669

Part number: AP2617669

Edited by Samurai Appliance Repair Man, 07 March 2014 - 09:51 AM.

William Burk (Willie)
Willie's Budget Appliance Repair
Eureka, CA 95501

#14 vudutu

vudutu

Ikkō-ikki

• Grasshoppah
  • PipPip
  • 49 posts

Posted 07 March 2014 - 08:07 AM

Interesting,

I think it is odd that both the drain and inlet solenoid show good continuity and when when hit with 110 direct AND the heat element does not appear to work. 

Chat in FL, I appreciate that insight, trying to convince my wife to replace but she is pushing to fix unless I can find a replacement that matches the off white that matches the rest of the appliances.

Electro doc, continuity checks out, your note about the timers rarely going out is helpful.

Budget Appliance Repair, I will take a close look today at the switch bank, any way to bypass or jump these to test?

#15 electro_doc

electro_doc

Senpai

• PipPipPipPip
  • 800 posts

Posted 07 March 2014 - 09:09 AM

Something like this makes a lot more sence to me.  They  should be easy to jump.  Inspect the wires like Budget said.  If they aren't that bad you could check continuity on them as well.

Doc

#16 Budget Appliance Repair

Budget Appliance Repair

Sensei

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,754 posts

Posted 08 March 2014 - 07:07 AM

Switch should be easy to bypass/jump, for either option, (No heat dry=energy saver option or Heated dry), IF you know how to read the wiring diagram.

The wiring diagram is usually tucked between the metal plate and plastic tub on left or right hand side.

William Burk (Willie)
Eureka, CA 95501

#17 vudutu

vudutu

Ikkō-ikki

• Grasshoppah
  • PipPip
  • 49 posts

Posted 10 March 2014 - 03:14 PM

Budget Appliance Repair - I think you might have nailed it. A quick visual inspection of the connectors and wires showed no burnt wires but some browning inside the clear plastic spade connector covers on each of the end connectors on the three wire ENERGY OPTIONS switch ...

BUT when I pulled the connectors of the switches the farthest right male spade connector came out of the switch along with the female wiring harness spade connector. It looks like the switch overheated as it looks melted around where the male spade came out. Can't find the wiring diagram to jump it but I am betting this is it.

On the front upper left of the panel are two rocker switches the ENERGY OPTIONS has three wires, the CYCLES has two wires - switch sets are marked ...

CYCLES {Pot scrubber - Normal wash} - on the left          ENERGY OPTIONS - {off - on} - on the right

Sooo I used the spade that came out and jumped the center connector to the far right connector, threw a couple of quarts of water in the bottom to see if the drain solenoid would kick. Popped a Moerlein OTR ale, started a full cycle and kicked back and read about our local beer revival.

http://www.ohio.com/...saries-1.469069

Sure enough , when the timer hit SHORT CYCLE the drain kicked in, so after this full cycle runs I will put a soap pack in and see if it runs and finishes with no soap residue and report back.

Thanks you guys rock.

#18 electro_doc

electro_doc

Senpai

• PipPipPipPip
  • 800 posts

Posted 10 March 2014 - 03:37 PM

That's awesome!  Looks like Budget called it.  Great job hanging in there to figure it out.  Get back to use after the full cycle and the cold one or two. :pint1:

Doc

#19 olyteddy

olyteddy

Kohai

• PipPipPip
  • 330 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Earl Grey

Posted 10 March 2014 - 08:47 PM

I believe a lot of this kind of DW was recalled by GE for just that issue. http://www.geapplian...ts/recall/dw07/ or here's a whole list: http://www.geappliances.com/products/recall/

#20 Budget Appliance Repair

Budget Appliance Repair

Sensei

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,754 posts

Posted 11 March 2014 - 08:03 AM

That recall has nothing to do with the energy saver switch problem.

The recall is about the rinse agent dispensers leaking and causing the wiring to get mushy and deteriorate and short out causing fires.

William Burk (Willie)
Eureka, CA 95501

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Use the Appliantology Parts Finder to Get What You Need!
Enter a model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.

Your Sometimes-Lucid Host:
Samurai Appliance Repair Man
"If I can't help you fix your appliance and make you 100% satisfied, I will come to your home and slice open my belly,
spilling my steaming entrails onto your floor."

The Appliance Guru | AppliancePartsResource.com | Samurai's Blog

Real Time Analytics