Learn appliance repair at the Samurai Tech Academy.  Learn more.  Earn more.

Parts Search
Site Search

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Welcome to Appliantology.org, the Web's Premiere Appliance Repair Resource!

The world-famous Samurai Appliance Repair Forums

To get started, click here.

Already a member of the Appliantology Academy? Just sign in with your username and password in the upper right-hand corner of the screen.

Photo

Whirlpool Duet Sport Washer: wfw8400tw02, Tries to start and freezes

wfw8400tw2 whirlpool duet sport tries to run CCU MCU diagnostics freeze Controls freeze.

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 folkerc

folkerc

Unsui

• Professional Appliantologist
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Yeba Matte & Expresso

Posted 26 February 2014 - 05:44 PM

I am working on a duet sport ht washer that I am not sure if it is the CentralControlUnit or the MotorControlUnit.  The unit will power up and let you select a cycle, then when the start button is pressed the door will lock and sit there.  Can smell the motor getting warm.  Not able to power off at this point it has too be unplugged.  I tested the motor windings (6 ohms on all three combinations, the tach measures 116 ohms.) it tested good.  I check all the components and the connections and they are fine.  I even tested the door switch and it is working.

When I go into diagnostics it will stop at the first step and lock the door.  There aren't any error codes listed in memory, displays a "F-".  At this I am not able to cancel the diagnostics, power it off, cancel the diags, or get it to do anything else.  And the motor is energized and stationary.  I am unable to rotate the drum since it is electrically energized. (rotates freely without power.)  But then it won't unlock, and after hitting Cancel to stop the cycle and unlock the door, the 'Add Garment' light starts blinking. While the 'Add Garment' light is blinking, it will not respond to any buttons and the only way to get it out of that state is to unplug the machine and plug it back in.  It does the same in manual diagnostics.  It shows to have no error codes, go to the first stage of testing and locks the controls, has to unplugged to get out of it.  The cancel or power buttons have no effect and the door has to be manually unlocked at this point.  None of the controls will unlock the door once the unit is plugged back in.  The controls are working until you start the unit or go into diags.

I unplug the serial communication cable going to theMotorControlUnit from the CentralControlUnit as suggested by this article http://fixitnow.com/...ntrol-unit-mcu/ .  It didn't make any difference, both ways act like it going to run.  Only difference was the motor wasn't energized with the cable unplugged.  Another point, if I forced the motor to turn it would sometimes take off and reset itself to a stationary position.  This makes me think that the tach/hall sensor is working in the motor and MCU.

I don't know if a defective MCU would lock up the diagnostics.  I know the door switch is good and working.  I am suspecting I have a bad CCU since the controls lock up.  I am not able to find any manuals that will diagnosis a CCU or MCU.  Any help will be greatly appreciated.  Thanks, Chris.

Use the Appliantology Parts Search Box to Find What You Need!
Enter your model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

#2 folkerc

folkerc

Unsui

• Professional Appliantologist
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Yeba Matte & Expresso

Posted 27 February 2014 - 06:03 PM

I see I have had a lot of view, but none have responded.  Also in my research I found 3 out of 4 form entries with the same symptoms have gone with replacing the MCU to resolve this issue.

Atlas, I do not get to give you folks what my outcome would be, the customer has decided not to spend the money and to replaced the unit.  Thank you all for looking this problem over but I do not get to give a follow-up.  Just that the research pointed more to the MCU than the CCU.

#3 Tronicsmasta

Tronicsmasta

Senpai

• Sublime Master of Appliantology
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 519 posts

Posted 01 March 2014 - 09:11 PM

I take out the mcu and inspect it for burned traces/solder joints. I have had this condition myself. The MCU fixed it. When in doubt I replace the Mcu first but I always insect it visually. Good luck
It is never a bad thing to leave it to the professionals. Inexperience can lead to more damage or risk of injury. You can always call A&E Factory Service (1-800-905-9505), Sears(1-800-469-4663), or local service man you can trust (servicemagic.com).

#4 Samurai Appliance Repair Man

Samurai Appliance Repair Man

Shōgun

• Master Samurai Tech
  • 29,830 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Sapporo Original Draft Rice Lager

Posted 02 March 2014 - 06:43 PM

MCU Part number: AP4327152

Part number: AP4327152

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: wfw8400tw2, whirlpool duet sport, tries to run, CCU, MCU, diagnostics freeze, Controls freeze.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Use the Appliantology Parts Finder to Get What You Need!
Enter a model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

Your Sometimes-Lucid Host:
Samurai Appliance Repair Man
"If I can't help you fix your appliance and make you 100% satisfied, I will come to your home and slice open my belly,
spilling my steaming entrails onto your floor."

The Appliance Guru | Master Samurai Tech

Real Time Analytics